Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?
Yes
87.64%
No
11.24%
I honestly don't know
1.12%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 02:20 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?

just curious......

*(note that I sometimes forgetto turn my car off when putting gas into it only SOMETIMES.....)

Last edited by LXotic; 02-02-07 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-01-07, 02:22 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do turn my car off. I have heard that it can cause a CEL from the gas cap pressure or something like that. I can't confirm that it does actually cause anything to happen though.
Old 02-01-07, 02:41 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

i always do
never know when someone can jump in your car and take off with it
Old 02-01-07, 02:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To prevent sudden explosions, yes, I turn the engine off...
Old 02-01-07, 03:31 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Gasoline, hazardous explosive

Anything that could cause a spark can be a hazard given the proper air-fuel mix. There is no point in running your engine while fueling and you could be setting yourself up for not just a fire, but a rather large liability as well, since most gas stations have prominently posted signs warning of the danger.

It can happen in the most random of ways - some acquaintances of mine a man and wife - and another couple, experienced boaters all, were bringing their 48' cruiser into the pier at a waterfront restaurant. The boat had just been re-powered with a pair of GM 8V-71-T diesels, but it had the original gasoline-powered generator set on board (the boat was still in the process of an all-diesel conversion).

As the skipper sidled up to the pier and his male guest stepped off to handle the docking lines, somewhere deep in the engine room a few gallons of gas were sloshing about, undetected by the bilge sniffers. Up in the cabin, evidently someone flipped a switch, and the generator seeing a demand, fired the gasoline engine, a stray spark in the generator igniting the gasoline vapor in the bilge like a dozen sticks of dynamite.

The fiberglass deck and hull separated at the gunwale joint, blasting flames and a heavy concussion across the pier into a number of other boats. The large cabin ripped free of the hull and jumped about a foot in the air before falling into the burning hull and being largely consumed in the fire. The two women in the main salon were probably killed instantly, and the guest on the pier disappeared - his body discovered a few days later floating in the harbor. The only survivor was the skipper who was navigating the vessel from the flybridge and thrown clear, despite severe burns and other injuries.

I've witnessed several such accidents, two in boats, two in aircraft, and one or two in cars over the years, and can testify that what they teach you in firefighting school is absolutely true: when mixed with the proper amount of air, a cup of gasoline is the explosive equivalent of about half of a stick of dynamite - a gallon is equal to 20 sticks. Any spilled fuel or residual vapors that find an ignition point (remember, gasoline vapors are heavier than air and will travel along the ground, sometimes for surprising distances), will produce an explosion and flash fire of unbelievable proportions. It's not like in the movies where people are knocked down having been brushed by the flames, people are killed by blast effects and/or terrible burns.

It's not worth your life to gamble. Shut the engine off for those few minutes it takes to refuel, then a minute or so after replacing the gas cap, restart and drive away. If you spill fuel on the driveway, inform the attendant or if a hose is available, wash the spill down with water to dissipate it (it won't dilute, but float on the water).

We handle gasoline on such a regular basis we don't think about the destructive force chemically bonded within it. If a cup or so of fuel can push your two ton car a mile or so, think of that energy being released all at once between your feet at about ankle level. Got your attention yet?
Old 02-01-07, 03:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LXotic
just curious......

*(note that I sometimes forgetto turn my car off when putting gas into it sumtimes.....Can not turning the car off when gasing it cause SERIOUS problemos?)
That's a potentially dangerous thing to do
Old 02-01-07, 03:45 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one time i pulled up to a gas station beind a brand new mini cooper. The little old man left his engine on to walk over to the gas attendant to pay some gas and 1 qt of oil. He then walks over to pump the gas with the engine still running, popped the hood and tried to add oil to his engine (yes, with it still running)

as soon as he opened up the filler cap, oil was misting out or something and started smoking up. The gas attendant noticed and ran out with a fire extinguisher but didnt have to use it cuz there was no fire.

I dont know what that mini cooper guy was thinking..
the attendant was sooo pissed off and couldnt stop yelling. "What the hell are you doing?" "TURN OFF YOUR CAR NOW!"
Old 02-01-07, 03:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Absolutely and if you don't do it in Mexico (full serve everywhere) they won't put gas into the tank.
Old 02-01-07, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

=Lil4X;2395084]Anything If a cup or so of fuel can push your two ton car a mile or so, think of that energy being released all at once between your feet at about ankle level. Got your attention yet?
And then imagine yourself looking like John Bobbitt....with your voice suddenly several octaves higher.
Old 02-01-07, 06:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I see this with some frequency...I don't get why people ignore this and equally so they light a cigarette up at times. One instance I pointed to a sign that stated "no smoking" and the guy gave me that whatever look and keep puffing away.
Old 02-01-07, 07:28 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I can't imagine the stupidity of leaving your car running.

Plus, it takes longer to get it full when it's running.
Old 02-01-07, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Hell yes I do, every time since my pops told me.

Old 02-01-07, 07:41 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

What? People leave their cars on while pumping gas?
Old 02-01-07, 07:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I definitely do!! Its common sense IMO. Dont people see the warning signs?!?!

However this never stopped my Dad. He'll leave it running all the time. Incredibly stubborn and hardheaded. Nothing I can do about that anymore.
Old 02-01-07, 08:04 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I turn off my car every time I pump gas. There is no option. I get extremely pissed off when people pump with their engines on. If you want to play with fire and gasoline at your own home by all means... I don't want to get blown up because of your stupidity.

Quick Reply: Do you turn your car off when putting gas into it?