Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Want a new car... what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 09:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Want a new car... what to do...

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or I just want to rant about what I want...

currently, our house has three cars, my 93 SC400, my fiance's 98 Maxima, and my brothers 06 Eclipse GT (v6)...

Couple things going through my mind that I want to do

I want a IS250/350, preferably the red color
I want to 1JZ my car
I want to trade in the Maxima
I want to paint my car
My fiance wants a 09 Camaro

I can afford the IS250 or 350, with trading in the Maxima, but I'm stuck with my SC400 for a while and no 1JZ or paint

I want to get rid of the Maxima 'cause I hate it - it needs paint worse than my car (only up close, from 15 feet away, none of it is noticeable, but everytime I wash the car, it angers me that people seemingly slam their doors into cars parked next to them - this car is the door ding king of the world) It is also going to need struts/shocks if we keep it more than 6 more months.

My car is in great running condition, and the only thing that needs fixed is the fact that it needs more power. It could use a paint job with a few dings/dents removed too, but overall I'm happy with it...

My fiance (and I) want a 09 Camaro when they finally come out... realistically thats over 18 months away, so this is kinda a good time to buy a new car...

Here's my dilemmas:
why buy her a car when she really doesn't mind waiting on the 09 Camaro, and it would only be a few hundred bucks to keep hers safely drivable (shocks/struts) until then

(so you're thinking, trade in the SC for a IS)

Then I won't have a fun fast car, not that an IS350 isn't fun or fast, but I am kinda attached to the SC, and with the potential for a 1JZ, it would be even better...

Ideally, I could buy the 350, sell my car, and all would be well, but I like my car...

Then I thought about selling mine, buying a newer SC3/400, but then I don't think I would want to 1JZ it because it's newer...

ah crap, why can't I just be rich...

I think my one weakness that would put me over the edge would be a red IS350 with the ML sound for under 35k... If I ran into one of those locally, I probably wouldn't bat an eye at trading in either of the cars...
Old 01-31-07, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

Here's my dilemmas:
why buy her a car when she really doesn't mind waiting on the 09 Camaro,
Why do YOU have to buy HER a new car? Does she have a job or any income of her own? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I think we need to know this before we can give you any specific advice. ( Of course, if is to be a wedding present for her, that's another matter ).

Then I won't have a fun fast car,
A fun car doesn't necessarily have to be fast.
Old 01-31-07, 11:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why do YOU have to buy HER a new car? Does she have a job or any income of her own? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I think we need to know this before we can give you any specific advice. ( Of course, if is to be a wedding present for her, that's another matter ).

A fun car doesn't necessarily have to be fast.
I don't need to buy her a car, and she does have her own income, but I make a fair amount more than her, and we share all of our bills... including a car purchase... (we are getting married in 3 months, but a car is not part of the deal)...

Thats part of my dilemma, is she will be buying the 09 Camaro, and I want to buy this now, I just don't want to get rid of my car to do so...
Old 01-31-07, 11:44 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, easy, trad in the Maxima, buy yourself IS350, let her drive your SC till she buys the new camero, and then yo get your SC back and by the time you will have the money to drop in a 1JZ and paint the car... done...
Old 01-31-07, 11:47 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

You are in Vegas right? maybe you can trade your SC with my Sc with more than a 1JZ and a good paint job..

It is for sale in Member's for sale tread.
Attached Thumbnails Want a new car...  what to do...-dsc00050.jpg  
Old 01-31-07, 11:54 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by blacksc400
OK, easy, trad in the Maxima, buy yourself IS350, let her drive your SC till she buys the new camero, and then yo get your SC back and by the time you will have the money to drop in a 1JZ and paint the car... done...
That is actually my favorite suggestion so far... I just wonder if she'll go for it...

Who wouldn't rather have the SC400 over a maxima?
Old 01-31-07, 12:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

You are in Vegas right? maybe you can trade your SC with my Sc with more than a 1JZ and a good paint job..

It is for sale in Member's for sale tread.
nice car, well worth what you are asking for it...

If I had the cash, I would say hell yes right now, but, for our honeymoon / wedding, we are going on a cruise (getting married on the boat), and that requires liquid cash (which buying your car would need too)
Old 01-31-07, 12:59 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
nice car, well worth what you are asking for it...

If I had the cash, I would say hell yes right now, but, for our honeymoon / wedding, we are going on a cruise (getting married on the boat), and that requires liquid cash (which buying your car would need too)
If you think you are tight now... it does not get any better after the honeymoon/wedding... You might have to drive that Maxima for awhile

Congrats btw!
Old 01-31-07, 01:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by newr
If you think you are tight now... it does not get any better after the honeymoon/wedding... You might have to drive that Maxima for awhile

Congrats btw!
sure it gets better afterwards... since we've been sharing bills, life is entirely too easy.... and we won't be buying a house for a while, not until we're for sure where we are going to stay... Vegas is great, and our jobs rock right now, but I'm not sure what part of town we really want to live in just yet...

THANKS!

Last edited by mitsuguy; 01-31-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 01:23 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

southwest or Henderson, North and east are just not that good...
I am a resident here for 10 years, I know Vegas...
Old 01-31-07, 02:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

southwest or Henderson, North and east are just not that good...
I am a resident here for 10 years, I know Vegas...
we need to meet up sometime, I wanna check out your car...

yah, I went to high school here (class of 97 - Cimarron Memorial), it's just been 10 years since I lived here last... Right now, I'm in the northwest, and I like it, but, thinking about southwest too... No Henderson for me though... nothing wrong with it, just going to high school and everything on the NW side kinda makes me want to stay over there...
Old 01-31-07, 03:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

haha, yeah, Northwest is fine but just too far from everywhere... I guess we are spoiled after living for a long time in a smaller city, ( anything more than 15 miles is far for me )
I am an insurance agent for American Family, office at Sahara near I15... hit me up sometimes and maybe you can stop by the office and check out my car or even an insurance quote...
Old 01-31-07, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One other possibility on the car. Since you say you want a red IS but don't want to spring for a new IS350 ( and the new IS doesn't come in bright red but has a gorgeous Matador ( Candy apple) Red), then the next best thing, IMO, is to look for a used, preferably Certified-Pre-Owned first-generation IS300, which DID have bright red as a factory color. The 3.0 straight-six in that car is extremely durable and should convert to the turbo setup if you want to spend the money on it.....in fact, that same engine, in twin-turbo form, was available in the U.S.-market Supra Turbo from 1993 to 1996. Then you can do whatever you want with the SC..trade it, sell it, or keep it.
Old 01-31-07, 05:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I had 3 is300 both auto and manual... the new IS350 and is300 is like day and night different....
Old 02-02-07, 11:23 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

well, I have an appointment on monday to go check out a couple cars (2 new, 1 used IS's)...

I'll let you all know how it goes... the magic colors are red and blue... if they have one, I'll more than likely come home with it...