Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW Trades Reliability For Profit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 10:43 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default BMW Trades Reliability For Profit!

I can't believe BMW would flush their loyal Customers down the toilet for profit. The funniest part is there are some, so called experts, that don't see it as a serious problem. Talk about blind sheep! Read these posts.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177375

Koz
Old 01-29-07, 10:49 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how people think that keeping oil in your car in excess of 10k is good!

Its not the oil that goes bad but the additaves in the oil that protect your engine. They don't last forever! Geeze. And here I was uncomfortable with 5k oil changes. Those guys really are.. well, special? LOL maybe thats BMWs pitch.. Engine breaks down which causes you to buy another Bimmer cause you just LOVED the driving experience!!
Old 01-29-07, 10:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

That is very bad. Shame on BMW.

Regardless, I change my oil ever 3 months even if god says no!

Old 01-29-07, 10:53 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The funny thing is, BMW's are not having engine failures until 200-300 miles or more. I think the oil is irrelevant.

The trannys, cooling systems, electrical, etc. are what goes out.

Whether you change at 5k or 15k miles, your car will run a long long time.

Although I recommend 5k intervals.
Old 01-29-07, 10:58 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Wow, changing oil at 19k miles?! I can't say even despite recommendations that I would ever wait that long...
Old 01-29-07, 11:09 AM
jezza
Driver

BMW exchanges reliability for profit? Huh? How exactly do you figure BMW would profit from telling customers to blow their engines up during the warranty period?
Old 01-29-07, 11:24 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jezza
BMW exchanges reliability for profit? Huh? How exactly do you figure BMW would profit from telling customers to blow their engines up during the warranty period?
That's what I was thinking. I didn't see anything in that thread that suggests that BMW is flushing their loyal customers down the toilet for profit. Maybe the guy's oil service life indicator wasn't functioning correctly. Or maybe the guy's lying. Who knows.

Koz, I wouldn't jump to sensationalistic conclusions based upon one person's post on an internet message board.
Old 01-29-07, 11:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Koz,

This thread has nothing to do with the 2nd gen IS; please put auto related threads that don't pertain to Lexus in the Car Chat forum.

Members, I expect this thread to stay civil and on topic please.
Old 01-29-07, 11:59 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jezza
Lets see, BMW offers 3 years free maintenance, including oil changes. So knowing that the engine will last at least 100K miles and only paying for 1 oil change. Seems obvious. BMW must think that everyone is stupid!

Koz
Old 01-29-07, 12:14 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks let's not start a BMW bashing thread. Lexus is not perfect either as indicated by the numerous threads with various lexus issues.

BMW uses computers to determine your driving habits for oil change intervals.

Some folks get an oil change every 7k miles, some will be longer. However, everyone gets a free oil change at least once per year. The free maintenance program is for 4 yr/50k miles (not 3 years).

Please avoid posting some other board's posts as this is nothing more than here say anyway.
Old 01-29-07, 12:37 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This owner obviously went over what BMW recommends for oil changes.. Also, BMW's are equipped with an onboard computer to inform you of how many miles you have left for an oil change..The numbers will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on how it is driven.. Also, Bmw are filled with Castrol Syntec Euro 0w-30 from the factory. This oil is black in color when new, and not the conventional yellow. I know because I own a new BMW.. That oil has a very different standard that other synthetics, and can last up to 15k between changes... I plan on changing mine when the computer tells me.
Old 01-29-07, 12:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

After reading the entire thread, it would seem BMW recommend changing the oil at one year intervals regardless of mileage.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with following the BMW recommended intervals, nor do I see anything with the poster's analysis that suggests the engine is in jeopardy of immediate failure, especially when compared to some of the other analyses posted with less mileage but including the same break-in wear components. Had he told Blackstone he'd gone 7500 miles, the comments would have been quite different.

People get way too freaked out about oil.
Old 01-29-07, 12:58 PM
LexFather

A poster on the bimmer forum said it. Since BMW covers the scheduled maintenance, the less service intervals= the less $$$$ absorbed by BMW, which means more money for BMW.

If they didn't offer this scheduled maintenance I wonder would BMW wait 1 year or 2 years (E90) to recommend an oil change, since you are spending your money. I am sure it would be down to the usual 5 or 7k recommendation.

I don't care what a computer says, I am not waiting 15k or 20k miles to change my oil. Especially if driven hard.

Bottom line, I am not accusing BMW of saving money. The guy though does have a point with his oil analysis.

Old 01-29-07, 01:41 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If they didn't offer this scheduled maintenance I wonder would BMW wait 1 year or 2 years (E90) to recommend an oil change, since you are spending your money. I am sure it would be down to the usual 5 or 7k recommendation.
As far as I'm concerned, the answer is yes. They would probably switch to dino oil too, and drop the change interval to 5000 miles.

I don't care what a computer says, I am not waiting 15k or 20k miles to change my oil. Especially if driven hard.
Same here. When I owned an E46, I would change at 7500 on my own, and then let the dealer do the 15K service. It's pretty cheap insurance.
Old 01-29-07, 01:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A poster on the bimmer forum said it. Since BMW covers the scheduled maintenance, the less service intervals= the less $$$$ absorbed by BMW, which means more money for BMW.

Bottom line, I am not accusing BMW of saving money. The guy though does have a point with his oil analysis.
Funny thing is, if a BMW owner goes in before their scheduled oil change, they have to pay $150 for the unscheduled oil change..I will wait lol... The scheduled maintainence does include wiper blade change, rotors, brake pads, oil, tire rotation, and a loaner.

Quick Reply: BMW Trades Reliability For Profit!