Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What have you hit/been hit by?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 05:11 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What have you hit/been hit by?

We all have hit or been hit by stones and other small road debris while driving. I'd like to know what crazy stuff you've hit or been hit by in the past. Other than the occassional squirrel or nail I've been very fortunate. No retread pieces, 2X4s, or major pieces of junk.

How about you?
Old 01-16-07, 06:56 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried my luck with off roading with my ES, and the sand won. LOL!

My navigation sent me right into a sand field at 40mph. After hitting the sand, I must have move only about 3-4 feet into the sand. I was stuck! the sand was up to my fog lamps.

Other then that, my only accident was with mom car when I was in high school `85 bmw 735i (aka: tank) with steel bumpers. A Maxima turned right in front of me - I won not one scratch, the Maxima needed a new quarter panel.
Old 01-16-07, 07:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hit by a 2000 Tundra

and hit
a railroad tie o.O (luckily braked to ~25-30mph right before)
Old 01-16-07, 07:27 PM
scrapp
Driver

Ran over a deer head laying on the freeway with my miata.

Welcome to texas
Old 01-16-07, 07:52 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ran over a cat doing 65mph in my Civic SI back in 2000. Hit a deer with my Camry. Deer lost. Recently hit a deer with my girlfriends 99 Regal. The deer died but did $3,400 damage to the side of the car.
Old 01-16-07, 08:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Things that have hit me in the past:

A seagull on the windshield.

A soda can thrown from a bridge onto my sunroof (thank God it was closed).

A kamikaze pigeon on the windshield.

A flying hubcap that flew off a Corolla and hit my bumper.

A bicyclist that did not see me parked at a stop light.

The garage door closing as my car was parked halfway the driveway (drying after a wash, my sister pressed the garage door opener while driving towards the house, not seeing me nor my car until it was too late).

Pieces of roadkill (looked like a labrador) on the 5 freeway.

My secretary. My drunk secretary. In the Disneyland parking lot.

Things that I have hit in the past:

A Nissan Sentra. (My worst fender bender)

A tree. In a vineyard.

Various curbs and siderails beside slippery/icy roads.

The front wall into the garage.

My mother. (She didn't get out of my way...)

My parked motorcycle.

My roommate's parked car.

Trash bins.

A moving truck.

An SUV in college (My first accident).

A hearse. Being used. During a motorcade. (I'm not kidding. I'm going to Hell for this one...)
Old 01-16-07, 08:55 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i've been hit by,

an idiot who put his oldsmobile in R to back into the T-intersection, and was STILL IN REVERSE, when he tried to accelerate out and into the perpendicular street.

i've been hit by a concrete disc about half the size of a hockey puck, (put a volleyball-sized ring-crack on my windshield, sounded like a gun)

i've also been hit by...pennies thrown by my friends when we're being stupid, not to mention altoids and bbs.

i've hit a early 2000 Rav-4, a late 90s camry, and a mid-90s 4-Runner, and a very tall curb which cleared out my rear suspension.
Old 01-16-07, 09:32 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Nothing.

But i ran over a already dead dog on the freeway...eww
Dent on roof b/c my uncle closed the garage door on it.(the old heavy wood ones)
Old 01-17-07, 07:25 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang, PhilipMSPT! You should have permanent flashing lights on your roof warning others to keep clear!

I just remembered.... my car was hit just above the driver's door by a golf ball as I was passing a driving range. It put a serious dent in the roof.
Old 01-17-07, 07:45 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
We all have hit or been hit by stones and other small road debris while driving. I'd like to know what crazy stuff you've hit or been hit by in the past. Other than the occassional squirrel or nail I've been very fortunate. No retread pieces, 2X4s, or major pieces of junk.

How about you?
The one and only, hopefully forever, vehicle I have ever hit in my life was a parked car.

Just starting out, @ 17 years old, had a volkswagon with a dead battery and had to push it to pop the clutch and get going.

Late at night, windshield fogged over from dew <---that's my excuse and works for me, I had my sister behind it pushing while I popped the clutch right into the neighbor's parked car.

And I thought all hell would break loose but they happened to be on their front porch and saw the whole thing developing and could not stop laughing and the husband said that was better than an E ticket ride at Disney to watch and helped push my car to get me going.

Other than that one suicidal squirrel and I felt terrible about it.

Hitting me:

A client with "Tourettes" hit me twice in the parking lot in as many months backing out his boat of a car, his tourettes was his excuse each time and I had just gotten back the repaired car by the time he did it again so I told him where to park from then on at my business.

A lady pulling out of a complex hit me rear passenger side, lot of damage and car spun 180 degrees but I missed a telephone poll thankfully.
Old 01-17-07, 09:04 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive hit a tv before
hit a pigeon
Old 01-17-07, 09:30 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit me:

Old idiot in an old Taurus hit my rear driver's quarter after hitting a red light about 4 years ago. $6700 in damage...

A lady rear ended me the first week I had my car. The car had less than 100 miles at the time. Just a small scratch but I lost it totally in the middle of a Manhattan intersection around 2pm. She was too scared to come out of her car. This was about 14 years ago.

Another lady hit my bumper just after having everything redone after the sideswipe above and spider webbed the new paint. I collected $300 cash from her on the spot and buffed out the scratch. I can live with the spiderwebbing...

I Hit:

Some dude. I turned my head for a second and then, *thump* some dude is sprawled on my hood. He jumped off, cursed at me in Spanish and then ran off. My car was intact. Granted this was like a rolling 2-3mph.

A snowy day in NYC, a guy in a Suby slams on the brakes. He stops suddenly, my car starts sliding and slowly bumped into him. No damage, but scared the crap out of me. Don't follow Subys in the snow (and no I was not tailing, but probably driving to fast for my own good) and people PLEASE don't slam on brakes in the snow. You may stop, but the guy behind you may not.

While teaching my sister how to drive, she got near the only parked car in an entirely empty parking lot and chipped my driver's side mirror. Eventually replaced... the mirror, not my sister.

Was in my friend's souped up mustang when he slammed into a concrete wall coming out of an acsending esse curve. Hardest I've ever hit anything. And I don't ever plan on doing something like that again. In a regular car we would have died. I totally appreciate the rules of roll cage and helmet for those cars. My friend was none too pleased though. It was a practice run and we were learning the course. Obviously never got to run it.

Last edited by T0ked; 01-17-07 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 09:30 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

~Hydroplaned...totaled moms car with dirt wall.

~T-Boned a Buick on the bike...Superman'd it over the roof, into the Human Tiddly-Wink position...Shaken but not stirred. (i was ok)

~Got rear ended in my Z-28 buy a Drunk guy in a GMC Syclone...That hurt...he died at the scene...Superman'd it into my trunk

~Wiped out at Road America during a Pole Position Run. Spiral fractured my Femur...Tore up my left foot...Fractured Scull...Took out two other riders with the Ghost-riding bike....finished off with a 60mph or so instant stop into a Cyclone Fence. Was in the Hosp....4months.

~Had a bird try to fly under my motorcycle...ended up stuck between my foot and sandal bottom...Bird was freaking out...pecking at my toes...I had to kick the thing out...all while doing 45mph down the road.

~Aerial assault on a 30foot pine tree with my old dirt bike...Tree kicked my butt!!! Friends still laugh about it to this day.
Old 01-17-07, 09:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At sunrise one spring morning on a deserted highway just North of Mineral Wells, I had a head-on collision with a hawk. The raptor was target-locked on some roadkill alongside the highway, and when I saw him go into his stoop, I tried to dodge him - no luck, I still caught him just above the RX's left headlight, where his beak left a nice chip. . . and the rest of him spread out over the hood and windshield. Arriving in town a few minutes later, my first stop was a coin-op car wash. Yuck!

I've had similar incidents with all kinds of wildlife, most of which I avoided. Trust me when I say cattle, alligators, and pigs can inflict damage all out of proportion to their size. Worst, was a wayward skunk . . . you don't want to know . . . .

My luck with inanimate objects has been considerably worse. Given the routine rocks and gravel that populate our Texas highways, I seldom keep a windshield long, but my worst encounters have been with bricks. I took one in the upper left corner of the windshield of a company car while on a country road. The object in question fell off a passing dump truck, and very nearly penetrated the glass. I was hauling a group of Middle Eastern guests at the time, and they all went for the floorboards, while I, stuck behind the wheel, couldn't do much to evade it.

A couple years later, I had a similar confrontation with another brick - this time I saw it coming and nailed the brakes, taking the hit in the middle of the hood of a new company car, producing a dent about the size of a baseball. The road was completely clear of traffic, and a railroad track to my right was far enough away that someone hiding beyond it would have to have a heckuva arm to throw it high and hard enough to do the damage it did. The source is still a mystery, but the only fix was to replace the hood.
Old 01-17-07, 10:03 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit a curb doing 65MPH ! curb won and i paid 3K damages

I got hit by:

*an idiot in an RX who somehow didnt see me parked NEXT TO HIM !
*a bird who was coming straight at me and ended up between the grill blades dead of course.