Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Americans build bad cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 11:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yeah but what are the chances of some adult not knowing what the capital of Great Britain is?
Is there a capital for Great Britain? I have always been under the impression that since Great Britain is primarily a geographical term, similar to the "United Kingdom" to describe the geographical grouping and somewhat of a political union between the countries in that region... and each country has its own capital, such as London being England's capital, and so on.
Old 01-15-07, 12:10 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bad, i meant to use England

i just remembered that the capital of scotland is edinburg (sp?)
i dont remember the capital of Wales though... is it called Wasteland?
lol jk
Old 01-15-07, 02:33 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

the country naming thing is bull.

i'm originally from trinidad and most people ask me if i'm from jamacia, jamacia is a popular enough country for some people to atleast know kingston.

trinidad is not as popular as jamacia(in some circles) so not to many people know where it is or that it exist.

also chaces are if you did'nt go to collage, or if you did go but did'nt take geography, and you and your family never traveled outside the us, no one really expects you to know the capital of anything outside america, it might be nice to know more geography but it is your choice.

i do all the work on all of my cars an my wifes car(except A/C) does that mean i should call out other people and call them stupid because they think a cv joint is a new form of majiwana(spelling) or only broke people work on there own cars, they can learn to work on their cars but they just don't want to, and thats fine, so why pick on people because they don't know the capital of england is, i cnn't stand people that think like him, i bet he does'nt know what the capital of s.t vincent is. smug pos
Old 01-15-07, 03:25 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

American made cars aren't nearly as good as Japanese or German, because not as much pride is taken in craftsmanship.
Old 01-15-07, 03:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraristo
American made cars aren't nearly as good as Japanese or German, because not as much pride is taken in craftsmanship.
I think American Pride is there. Check out Detroit; in general, you won't see anything else other than American cars out on the road.

However, quality American engineering at competitive prices -- that's not as prominent.

And unfortunately, with unions, American car companies have been increasing wages and benefits for a mediocre engineers. Their production workers are unfortunately feeling the damage...
Old 01-15-07, 08:26 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
It's strange... it seems like a lot of people in the UK have some serious issues with America - always trying to show how they're better.
it's a hard thing when they got their asses beaten in by pitchforks and spades lol

just kidding =P
Old 01-15-07, 08:59 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

Ah. You see that stuff all the time on the Tonight Show when they do "Jaywalking". I used to think people blew the answers on purpose to get on TV... I'm not so sure anymore. But with that in mind, I'm sure there were people who DID name quite a few European countries... they just didn't make the final edit.
Old 01-16-07, 04:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I
The U.S. manufacturers also have a gigantic problem with simply too many workers they can't easily get rid of. They've tried growing their way out of it, but they can't. GM is hoping enough retirees die, and Ford is buying out HALF of its workforce at a GIGANTIC cost. Ford and GM will be saddled with astounding debt for a long time, putting them at a severe disadvantage. I personally think Ford might still declare bankruptcy to give it a better chance of turning it around. But they're fighting hard to avoid that because of other problems that causes - most obviously consumer confidence and dealer support.
I partially but don't totally agree. It is true that the intensely competitive nature of today's auto industry will force some changes, but at the same time you also have to remember that these employees are not just robots or a commodity.....they are human beings, who work hard for many years on the assembly lines, and sometimes suffer things like repetitive-motion injuries and other health-related problems in the plants just so the companies CAN sell vehicles and MAKE those profits. They are certainly entitled to a decent retirement and pension, and a reasonable amount of health care. All of those nice shiny new vehicles at the auto shows that we all love to go and see....and those on the dealer lots.....they wouldn't EXIST if it weren't for the hard-working people who put them together in the plants and the train and truck people who bring them to market. Sometimes, as car enthusiasts, we get so wrapped up in the vehicles themselves that we tend to forget that

But with the strongly anti-domestic sentiment on this forum, and frankly a ton of ignorance mostly rooted in knowledge from the 80s and 90s, that isn't always understood. Check out the interior of a new Chevy Silverado truck for example. Not exactly 90s Chevy like! And blows away the new Tundra.

Again, I partially but not totally agree.....The dashes on a number of new GM products HAVE improved markedly in the last few years....and the new dashes on the full-sized GM trucks ARE impressive. However, much of the rest of the vehicle is NOT. It takes more than just putting chrome trim rings around the gauges and wood paneling across the dash to TRULY improve your product. If you look at the REST of the new Silverado's interior, apart from the dash, what do you find? Pretty much the same old mediocre GM plastic and hardware. Same for the Silverado's SUV cousins...Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc..... ( see my review of the 2007 Tahoe ). And they still, despite advertising to the contrary, haven't really improved the Tahoe's Push-and-Pray brakes, though I DID note some improvement in the Denali's brakes this year.

Paint jobs, general fit-and-finish apart from the dash, and the quality of hardware inside and out.....all still need work on most vehicles of GM design, though the new Cadillac STS is pretty impressive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-07 at 04:13 AM.