Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brace yourselves! Infiniti releases a "brushstroke" of concept

Old 01-18-07, 12:26 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bean

You can get an Infiniti at a regular rental place like Enterprise or something... can't do that with a Lexus Infiniti is most certainly NOT worthless; but 1sick's point is that all the manufacturers are debuting something; and Infiniti shows some "brushstrokes" that freshman Art student could draw in their sleep.
I still don't see how this is a point. This is a teaser for the New York Auto Show. Like I said, one could say the same for Lexus and the Los Angeles Auto Show; all the other manufacturers were debuting something, Lexus only debuts a shot of the rear tail lamp and pipes. No one complained then, and no one will be complaining when a bunch of manufacturers will be debuting their cars at New York or Geneva and Lexus has nothing, not even a brushstroke.

(Assuming that Lexus does in fact have nothing for Geneva and New York, since I've only heard them debuting something at Chicago. I really don't know if they're gonna show anythin new at Geneva and New York or not. I'm just speaking in hypothetical terms.)
Old 01-18-07, 12:45 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...
this thread was meant to be taken lightly
just as the brushstroke is meant to just slightly arouse you and not enrage you...

but sure is an interesting way of getting ppl guessing and talking about infiniti as we are doing here...
Old 01-18-07, 04:40 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
well said
did they need to change much? is it wrong to create brand identity? please cc bmw and mercedes on that memo... btw, i didnt realize the FX was playing it safe? but even if that were their strategy, Lexus is the brand that really 'plays it safe' ..but that doesnt hurt sales does it?

The cars look good enough that they don't NEED to be redone externally. in any case though, I'd argue the new Gs meet your criteria...
What I meant by playing it safe was that the new vehicles (G, QX) look more like mid-cycle refreshes. I wasn't talking about brand identity. Almost all brands try to do the brand identity thing (including Lexus).

I've seen the new G, it reminds me too much of the last one. Given it is a good looking car, I wouldn't really buy one over the last generation as the last generation probably has a sweeter deal right now.

In general I think Infiniti needs to expand it's vehicle range and quality of parts, and separate itself from Nissan a little more (no more rebadge vehicles please). I mean the new G is giving the 3 series a run for it's money and yea I'd take the G over the 3 anyday. The G is a much better looking car than the 3 series.

I must admit though the Nissan GT-R argument has little ground. So what if it's a Nissan? Infiniti's strategy might be to give Nissan more of an aggressive sport image than for Infiniti. Maybe they want Infiniti to compete more in the luxury segment (which in my opinion kinda fails, they compete better with BMW sport sedans).
Old 01-18-07, 08:02 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

ROFLMAO.

A 2600lb 500hp+ V10 vs a 4000lb 450hp V6. In your dreams dude.

F1-based V10 in a lightweight RWD coupe vs a Twinturbo overrated V6 in a AWD iron bathtub. HMMMMMMMMM.
read:
And that GT-R will almost certaintly have more potential than your super car LF-A.
I won't argue. We'll see what happens. I don't doubt the LF-A will be faster stock, more luxurious, etc. But I maintain that in terms of overall performance the GT-R will have more potential. Again I won't argue any further, we can wait and see what happens...

Most people don't buy a $60k+ car for "modding potential" because if they want to make it fast, they have the money to do it, regardless. And I guarentee you, a NEW high-tech 5.0L+ V10 will have FAR more power potential than a 8-year-old 3.2-3.5L V6.
ok

As far as Toyota making the Supra instead of Lexus.... HMMMMMMM again. The Supra was out in what?.... 1979 as the Celica Supra? MKII came out when? like 82? MKIII in 86 and the MKIV in 93. In 1993, Lexus was 3 years old and had a whopping 4 cars to choose from. SURE! Toyota is going to release a high-tech powerhouse car with a household name that had been around for 13-14 years and change its brand. MMMKKKK.
infiniti is expanding to become global. the GT-R has been around for many years as well. nissan made the same decision as toyota. so why are you knocking them again? because they arent toyota?

You can get an Infiniti at a regular rental place like Enterprise or something... can't do that with a Lexus
you can rent corollas and camrys, does that make them less of a car? you can also rent jags and audi S4s does that make them less exclusive? i'm not sure what your point is...

Infiniti is most certainly NOT worthless; but 1sick's point is that all the manufacturers are debuting something; and Infiniti shows some "brushstrokes" that freshman Art student could draw in their sleep.
this is a preview of what they will debut. what's wrong with this preview? you want them to debut before they debut? or are you saying they shouldnt give a preview prior to the debut? again you're making little sense.

1sick disses Infiniti NO LESS than the German-car fanboys bash lexus; in fact, far less. Because he is actually quite unbiased. Obviously, you've missed many of the posts he's made . I've been here seemingly forever, and I know I can count on him to be very straight on the subject.
bias is ok, albeit dishonest if you're assessing this. regardless, this ignorance is silly.
Old 01-18-07, 08:13 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koma
What I meant by playing it safe was that the new vehicles (G, QX) look more like mid-cycle refreshes. I wasn't talking about brand identity. Almost all brands try to do the brand identity thing (including Lexus).

I've seen the new G, it reminds me too much of the last one. Given it is a good looking car, I wouldn't really buy one over the last generation as the last generation probably has a sweeter deal right now.

In general I think Infiniti needs to expand it's vehicle range and quality of parts, and separate itself from Nissan a little more (no more rebadge vehicles please). I mean the new G is giving the 3 series a run for it's money and yea I'd take the G over the 3 anyday. The G is a much better looking car than the 3 series.

I must admit though the Nissan GT-R argument has little ground. So what if it's a Nissan? Infiniti's strategy might be to give Nissan more of an aggressive sport image than for Infiniti. Maybe they want Infiniti to compete more in the luxury segment (which in my opinion kinda fails, they compete better with BMW sport sedans).
right- i see what you're saying regarding refreshes vs new vehicle designs... i think that most people arent that familiar with infiniti so they'll see the new ones as kinda identical-kinda like how people of one race tend to think people of another race all look alike due to human nature. i'd say that you'd see similar if someone were exposed to the bmw e30-36-46 transitions for the first time. regarding the old g vs new g, if youre not too picky i would agree but as a owner of a 'old' g coupe id say the new Gs are a pretty significant improvement at least on the refinement front if thats what matters to someone. on that note i definitely agree with your comments regarding infiniti using more exclusive parts. but lets face it, they're not out the woods yet and will likely take years before they're operating with the budget and resources that they deserve.

regarding the gt-r infiniti is clearly on the path toward luxury vs sport - (ex: removal of brembos from Gs)...maybe they're trying to gain a wider appeal? im not sure... i personally didnt think it was necessary. i thought that even if the G was a little less "luxurious" than its peers, that could work in its favor with solid styling, and a direct/sporting driving experience with best-in class performance...
Old 01-18-07, 08:31 AM
Koma

right- i see what you're saying regarding refreshes vs new vehicle designs... i think that most people arent that familiar with infiniti so they'll see the new ones as kinda identical-kinda like how people of one race tend to think people of another race all look alike due to human nature. i'd say that you'd see similar if someone were exposed to the bmw e30-36-46 transitions for the first time. regarding the old g vs new g, if youre not too picky i would agree but as a owner of a 'old' g coupe id say the new Gs are a pretty significant improvement at least on the refinement front if thats what matters to someone. on that note i definitely agree with your comments regarding infiniti using more exclusive parts. but lets face it, they're not out the woods yet and will likely take years before they're operating with the budget and resources that they deserve.

regarding the gt-r infiniti is clearly on the path toward luxury vs sport - (ex: removal of brembos from Gs)...maybe they're trying to gain a wider appeal? im not sure... i personally didnt think it was necessary. i thought that even if the G was a little less "luxurious" than its peers, that could work in its favor with solid styling, and a direct/sporting driving experience with best-in class performance...
Well they are just finally making something of themselves so I expect Infiniti is on the path like Lexus is. Lexus is finally marketing some performance vehicles. They all expand at some point.
Old 01-18-07, 10:09 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

You can get an Infiniti at a regular rental place like Enterprise or something... can't do that with a Lexus Infiniti is most certainly NOT worthless; but 1sick's point is that all the manufacturers are debuting something; and Infiniti shows some "brushstrokes" that freshman Art student could draw in their sleep.

1sick disses Infiniti NO LESS than the German-car fanboys bash lexus; in fact, far less. Because he is actually quite unbiased. Obviously, you've missed many of the posts he's made . I've been here seemingly forever, and I know I can count on him to be very straight on the subject.
As i have already proved to someone on this board when they stated you can get infinitis at any reg rental place, guess what? You can rent lexus as well. ES's can be rented at enterprise and hertz. The ES, an entry level luxury car, and the g35 an entry luxury car. You can also rent a C class, 3 series. You can also rent an FX but it would be under prestige rentals where you can rent an a8 or S class. Theres no point to your statement except for trying to be a lexus fanboy and an infiniti hater

Its kinda entertaining how much attention this brushstroke is giving to CL. One thing ive noticed about "german fanboys" is that they give alot of credit to infiniti. Surprising right? Maybe its because they should be given some credit for their efforts

Last edited by Hypnotik; 01-18-07 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-18-07, 12:32 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
As i have already proved to someone on this board when they stated you can get infinitis at any reg rental place, guess what? You can rent lexus as well. ES's can be rented at enterprise and hertz. The ES, an entry level luxury car, and the g35 an entry luxury car. You can also rent a C class, 3 series. You can also rent an FX but it would be under prestige rentals where you can rent an a8 or S class. Theres no point to your statement except for trying to be a lexus fanboy and an infiniti hater

Its kinda entertaining how much attention this brushstroke is giving to CL. One thing ive noticed about "german fanboys" is that they give alot of credit to infiniti. Surprising right? Maybe its because they should be given some credit for their efforts
1. YOU DID NOT prove a thing. I WAS the one that posted the links showing G35s for sales and rentals and Enterprise. You posted NO link, not one. So you showed this "someone" nothing.
2. How can it be a HATER when it is THE TRUTH? Seperate what you THINK is hate from FACTS. Don't get UPSET when someone makes a statement about a fact, which is negative about your brand.

For example. If I say "Infiniti says are down 11% last year, they need to tighten it up". This is a FACT. Sales ARE down 11%.

What happens instead is some of you REACT and just argue and debate
a. Based on WHO made the above comment
b. Then saying its "hate" against the brand, when in FACT sales are down.

3. It is TIRING that the ONLY TIME some of you POST here is about Infiniti with rare or no posts about anything else. Guess what this IS a LEXUS forum, there will be some bias.

4. It is TIRIING that when someone says something POSITIVE about the brand, you don't agree or point it out. Instead, you nitpick EVERY single thing you do not agree with. When people give Infiniti kudos, you are no where to be found. If someone makes a comment about them you do not like, you post no links or facts and spout off with your debate, convincing nobody of anything.

5. At least be happy most times, we actually spell Infiniti correct, instead of Infinity like most forums do

Old 01-18-07, 06:42 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. YOU DID NOT prove a thing. I WAS the one that posted the links showing G35s for sales and rentals and Enterprise. You posted NO link, not one. So you showed this "someone" nothing.
2. How can it be a HATER when it is THE TRUTH? Seperate what you THINK is hate from FACTS. Don't get UPSET when someone makes a statement about a fact, which is negative about your brand.

For example. If I say "Infiniti says are down 11% last year, they need to tighten it up". This is a FACT. Sales ARE down 11%.

What happens instead is some of you REACT and just argue and debate
a. Based on WHO made the above comment
b. Then saying its "hate" against the brand, when in FACT sales are down.

3. It is TIRING that the ONLY TIME some of you POST here is about Infiniti with rare or no posts about anything else. Guess what this IS a LEXUS forum, there will be some bias.

4. It is TIRIING that when someone says something POSITIVE about the brand, you don't agree or point it out. Instead, you nitpick EVERY single thing you do not agree with. When people give Infiniti kudos, you are no where to be found. If someone makes a comment about them you do not like, you post no links or facts and spout off with your debate, convincing nobody of anything.

5. At least be happy most times, we actually spell Infiniti correct, instead of Infinity like most forums do
If you look back on that post, i posted links for ES330's for rent at enterprise as well as for sale. I also did a search on other infiniti's for rent and there was an FX, but it was grouped along side prestige rentals where you can rent s-classes, a8's, etc. Of course because you claim every single infiniti is for rent and lexus is not.

Maybe the ones that should really be arguing about brand vs brand are people who can actually afford most of them....

Last edited by Hypnotik; 01-18-07 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 10:46 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read:

I won't argue. We'll see what happens. I don't doubt the LF-A will be faster stock, more luxurious, etc. But I maintain that in terms of overall performance the GT-R will have more potential. Again I won't argue any further, we can wait and see what happens...
As I said, DEFINE potential. Max potential power? Max handling potential? I'm still waiting. The LF-A will weigh less, have a bigger, badder, better breathing motor, and be setup for outstanding handling characteristics. AWD isnt as good as MR man

infiniti is expanding to become global. the GT-R has been around for many years as well. nissan made the same decision as toyota. so why are you knocking them again? because they arent toyota?
Just knocking the suggestion of Toyota calling the Supra a Lexus?

you can rent corollas and camrys, does that make them less of a car? you can also rent jags and audi S4s does that make them less exclusive? i'm not sure what your point is...
You can't rent a S4 at Enterprise. Those luxury rent-a-places are just a little different. As 1sick said, show us the evidence that you saw an ES at say, Hertz or something.

A corolla and a camry aren't tier-one luxury cars. They are the two best-selling cars in the world and designed to be that way. My point is Lexus is tier-one partially because of this exclusivity and Infiniti is not.

this is a preview of what they will debut. what's wrong with this preview? you want them to debut before they debut? or are you saying they shouldnt give a preview prior to the debut? again you're making little sense.
How about a car for one thing? Nissan better step up and FAST. The GTR should have been out two years ago; but they are dragging their heels on this car and now its going to be destroyed by several cars in the same price category. The Z06 and CTS-V will both be faster. Hell the revamped C6 will be faster.... Is it 440hp at 3200lbs they are going for?

bias is ok, albeit dishonest if you're assessing this. regardless, this ignorance is silly.
Speak for yourself there guy... you're the one that thinks a V6 from 1998ish with some turbos slapped on will have the same potential as a 5.0L V10 from an F1-car program in 2007. The LF-A will outhandle, outbrake, and outaccelerate the GTR and quite possibly get better gas mileage to boot. Of course it'll cost a lot more. But you're the one that made the "ignorance is silly" statement after stating the GTR will have more performance potential.

I'm done with the long-winded arguments here.
Old 01-19-07, 06:29 AM
TheGambler
Rookie

The LF-A will outhandle, outbrake, and outaccelerate the GTR and quite possibly get better gas mileage to boot. Of course it'll cost a lot more. But you're the one that made the "ignorance is silly" statement after stating the GTR will have more performance potential.
LOL, both of these cars are not even released yet, but you are stating the LF-A will outhandle, outbrake and outaccelerate the GT-R like it is FACT! Talk about your ignorant statements.

Maybe that will be the case, but I think it is a little too soon to state those things as facts. IMO, Lexus better have something up it's sleeve it wants to outhandle a GT-R.
Old 01-19-07, 07:00 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheGambler
LOL, both of these cars are not even released yet, but you are stating the LF-A will outhandle, outbrake and outaccelerate the GT-R like it is FACT! Talk about your ignorant statements.

Maybe that will be the case, but I think it is a little too soon to state those things as facts. IMO, Lexus better have something up it's sleeve it wants to outhandle a GT-R.
Let me guess, you just joined this forum just to comment on this thread that you didnt find to your liking? If not do not take any offense. I believe the
LF-A will outhandle the gt-r because it is supposed to be a super car. If it doesnt have the handling abilities then it clearly wont be a car people will buy. Just because Toyota and Lexus put smooth driving, quiet cars on the road because thats what customers want, doesnt mean that they cant build a car to handle excellent. And lately the newer gen Lexus' are handling great (IS,GS,and LS to some extent).They are in F1 so they know how to make a great handling car if they want to.
Old 01-19-07, 07:06 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

As I said, DEFINE potential. Max potential power? Max handling potential? I'm still waiting. The LF-A will weigh less, have a bigger, badder, better breathing motor, and be setup for outstanding handling characteristics. AWD isnt as good as MR man
usable potential. the ability to modify the car and essentially, for similar money, outperform another car. thats how i define it... the gt-r is a car known for its potential and nissan isnt likely to disappoint. their testing is against a 997TT. just because you dont happen to like your competitors cars doesnt mean you should sleep on them.

i dont doubt the lexus engine will be a masterpiece in its own right, but getting more power from a high revving v10 tuned for NA power is a different story....

Just knocking the suggestion of Toyota calling the Supra a Lexus?
you were knocking infiniti because nissan is getting the gt-r and not infiniti. well toyota had a supra and not lexus... therefore your original point is invalid.

You can't rent a S4 at Enterprise. Those luxury rent-a-places are just a little different. As 1sick said, show us the evidence that you saw an ES at say, Hertz or something.
yes you can. in miami at hertz you can rent S4 converts. im quite sure there are other options as well.

just because a car is, or isnt at a major rental agency doesnt necessarily mean anything negative about the car itself.

A corolla and a camry aren't tier-one luxury cars. They are the two best-selling cars in the world and designed to be that way. My point is Lexus is tier-one partially because of this exclusivity and Infiniti is not.
what do you call a tier 1 luxury car? a ES? a LS? a S class? a Maybach??

Regardless, your second sentence could apply to the corolla and camry as well. There's much irony in your comments regarding exclusivity when there are more Lexus cars on the road than Infinitis. lol.

You think that Lexus cars are unilaterally and inherently superior to Infinitis when, this is not true. It depends on what one is looking for in a car...

How about a car for one thing? Nissan better step up and FAST. The GTR should have been out two years ago; but they are dragging their heels on this car and now its going to be destroyed by several cars in the same price category. The Z06 and CTS-V will both be faster. Hell the revamped C6 will be faster.... Is it 440hp at 3200lbs they are going for?
they always said 2007 TMS. Out the box speed alone doesnt measure a car's worth.

Speak for yourself there guy... you're the one that thinks a V6 from 1998ish with some turbos slapped on will have the same potential as a 5.0L V10 from an F1-car program in 2007. The LF-A will outhandle, outbrake, and outaccelerate the GTR and quite possibly get better gas mileage to boot. Of course it'll cost a lot more. But you're the one that made the "ignorance is silly" statement after stating the GTR will have more performance potential.

I'm done with the long-winded arguments here.
Good.
You're obviously an ignorant lexus fanboy who cannot and will not acknowledge what other car manufacturers have going for them.

--------

edit - for proof of renting audis at miami hertz, you can contact them or see this pr. despite how the pr may appear, the cars are available to rent to anyone as a premium or luxury (iirc) class.

Last edited by Tekknikal; 01-19-07 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-19-07, 07:22 AM
TheGambler
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Let me guess, you just joined this forum just to comment on this thread that you didnt find to your liking? If not do not take any offense. I believe the
LF-A will outhandle the gt-r because it is supposed to be a super car. If it doesnt have the handling abilities then it clearly wont be a car people will buy. Just because Toyota and Lexus put smooth driving, quiet cars on the road because thats what customers want, doesnt mean that they cant build a car to handle excellent. And lately the newer gen Lexus' are handling great (IS,GS,and LS to some extent).They are in F1 so they know how to make a great handling car if they want to.
Well your first post on a forum has to start somewhere, right?

I didn't join to flame anyone here, cause trouble, or start an immature p!ssing match with CL members. In actuality, I have been browsing the CL forum for a very long time, I just never joined and posted anything.

Maybe the LF-A will outhandle the GT-R, I certainly don't think Lexus is incapable of it. Whether it will or won't is anyone's guess at this point, and I just wanted to add my .02 cents that passing comments as facts at this point is a little on the ignorant side. Competition between manufactures is a beautilful thing isn't it?
Old 01-19-07, 07:35 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheGambler
Well your first post on a forum has to start somewhere, right?

I didn't join to flame anyone here, cause trouble, or start an immature p!ssing match with CL members. In actuality, I have been browsing the CL forum for a very long time, I just never joined and posted anything.

Maybe the LF-A will outhandle the GT-R, I certainly don't think Lexus is incapable of it. Whether it will or won't is anyone's guess at this point, and I just wanted to add my .02 cents that passing comments as facts at this point is a little on the ignorant side. Competition between manufactures is a beautilful thing isn't it?
Great, hope you didnt take any offense at my comments . For now we have no facts like you said and until then we wont know which will handle better etc. . I agree competition is great!! and Welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brace yourselves! Infiniti releases a "brushstroke" of concept