Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brace yourselves! Infiniti releases a "brushstroke" of concept

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 02:49 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some of you I cannot believe, getting excited about a brushstroke. I think its laughable. The brand is languishing. Sales are down 2 years in a row.

You would think after the success of the G and M 3/45 they would CONTINUE with the product onslaught. Even the FX, while selling poorly, is a success for being different.

Instead they offer the worst quallty SUV, QX56, the Q45 is discontinued and now a downmarket SUV.

Many people thought they were really going to turn it around and they did have a sales peak 2 years ago. Now, the brand is back in turmoil.

For goodness sakes, Nissan's BEST CAR , the GT-R, will be a Nissan.

Imagine a Toyota LF-A?

Dont you ever get tired of repeating yourself? You say the same thing about infiniti in almost every thread concerning infiniti. I think people are aware of your thoughts already
Old 01-13-07, 03:05 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Dont you ever get tired of repeating yourself? You say the same thing about infiniti in almost every thread concerning infiniti. I think people are aware of your thoughts already
not everyone is a regular forum who**s like us and reads every single posts that 1sicklex makes
lol
i practically live in the CL forums

this is a forum, if u dont like reading someone's posts then feel free to go to that person's profile page and click on the link to add that person to ur ignore list so his/her comments will never bother you again

IMO, infiniti is trying something to distinguish itself
going more luxury than performance is definately one way to go at marketing cars
each brand has its strategies and there is not clear cut right or wrong either

infiniti G series is definately doing well though
as far as i can see in Canada anyways

and i suppose this "brushstroke" marketing term is something to combat Lexus's "L-Finesse"
Old 01-13-07, 03:46 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

Personally I like what Infiniti is doing. One thing they can execute better than Lexus or Acura is sport. I would totally drive a G, M or FX over an IS, GS or RX. In the future I see the new G sedan and coupe doing very well for them. Not having a MT in the IS350 was a huge miss for Lexus and it will give some sales up to the G. Simply put Infiniti makes a driver's car and Lexus makes an owner's car.

But I'm not complaining, my SC4 has been bulletproof
Old 01-13-07, 07:10 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

work at a infinti dealership and some lady traded in a IS350 for a used 4Runner on the lot that we had because she needed more space, but anywho the IS was sold seriously within two hours. had to do a PDI on the vehicle so they could sell it, and its already sold. whoever got it didnt even consider the new G35 or used G on the lot. but i think i would rather have a lexus than an infiniti mainly because i like the feel of Lexus better. for example, with the M, its a terrific car but it can ride like crap, and rattle like crazy, drove a GS, rides like slik and was quiet, but can be sport. but in all honestly, seeing how comparision magz do comparsions on cars and seeing what they do, do you think a actual person will take a car through the cones on a regular basics, half the time, people will drive with sense because you can get a ticket so easily, atlease easily here in NC where you cannot do *****.

but anywho, if infiniti does come out with w/e this drawing is, im sure its going to be a big hit because it looks like a coupe, but like the current G coupe, you see it around every corner and after you see like 5 going down one street, it gets old. hopefully infiniti can find a way to make their cars drive with more poise because their is to much sport in them for me. even with the M with the non-sport model, doesnt ride smoothly or quiet. the new G, the engine is loud, not to quiet in idle, i think like the new ES. FX rides like ****, not a luxury SUV by anymeans, the QX is a joke, biggest piece of *****. the Q45? need i say more? basically infiniti needs another car or SUV because their model ranges are very limited its the G,M,FX,QX. thats it. but the G comes in two models, a coupe and sedan as you all know, the M has two engines but still the same body, the FX had two engines but still the same body and just the QX. so what? five cars, they need a nother sedan in the lineup, maybe two sedans and no need to add another SUV.
Old 01-13-07, 11:36 PM
typeshblue
Driver

You gotta remember that Infiniti didn't have to release anything. But I kinda like their brushstroke marketing campaign. At least they stay true to their roots and are not ashamed to market their car as a Japanese car, hence the swords, washi, etc. Now I like Lexus and all, but I don't like how they try to pose as German cars based on their marketing in the US. I picked up a GS brochure and it mentioned something about how Germans like to pamper themselves with spas... or something of that nature.
i agree with with mikesc4, staying true to their roots.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-14-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 08:22 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Sorry, but that's a retarded statement. I won't even say why becuase others have already pointed it out.
It may be retarded but it's my opinion. I also think Infiniti is retarded and that's my personal opinion...
Old 01-16-07, 08:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
yeah because the g35 coupe was outselling the bmw 3 series coupe? because the Gs combined tend to outsell the ISs combined? because if at first you dont succeed you should give up?
Fine, Infiniti our whole entire line of just G 35's and nothing else...
Old 01-16-07, 10:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Hmm.... Looks like a DB9.

It is probably the CX35 SUV that has been rumored. I believe the name has been trademarked already by Infiniti. It is supposed to be in the same class as the Acura RDX and BMW X3.

Kinda ridiculous if you ask me because the FX is already fairly small on the inside as it is compared to other cars in its class. The trunk space lacks big time aswell. The RDX has an interior thats pretty close in size to the FX. I couldn't imagine a smaller interior on the CX.
That hasn't stopped BMW from making the X3. It's almost the same size (interior) as the X5. Hell, it has more cargo space than the X5.
Old 01-17-07, 01:16 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of like the idea of revealing only the brushstroke for now. I think it does two things for Infintiti, it gives them time to build the curiosity of enthusiast like what is happening here and it also allows them to unveil whatever this car may be at the New York show, as stated before, which has been a more popular spot for Nissan/Infiniti.

I think its funny here that a moderately "inferior" company such as Infiniti reveals this rediculous brushstroke yet for some reason it enrages all of these Lexus people to say nothing but negative things about the brand. I understand this is a Lexus message board, which is why I am here, but I dont understand why these posts about Infiniti, more than any other company become such a book burning fiasco.

Honestly, would the automotive industry really be that much better off if companies like Infiniti just didnt exist to fling their crap at us? If Lexus/Toyota were the only car company would that make ever that much happier here?

Last edited by 92 SC400; 01-17-07 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 04:32 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Marketing

From a marketing standpoint, what Infiniti has done here is pretty nifty. They did something different & odd to get people talking & it has clearly worked. Imagine the interest in the product when it is actually revealed?

As for staying true to their roots: keep on keepin' it real.
Old 01-17-07, 04:39 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I kind of like the idea of revealing only the brushstroke for now. I think it does two things for Infintiti, it gives them time to build the curiosity of enthusiast like what is happening here and it also allows them to unveil whatever this car may be at the New York show, as stated before, which has been a more popular spot for Nissan/Infiniti.

I think its funny here that a moderately "inferior" company such as Infiniti reveals this rediculous brushstroke yet for some reason it enrages all of these Lexus people to say nothing but negative things about the brand. I understand this is a Lexus message board, which is why I am here, but I dont understand why these posts about Infiniti, more than any other company become such a book burning fiasco.

Honestly, would the automotive industry really be that much better off if companies like Infiniti just didnt exist to fling their crap at us? If Lexus/Toyota were the only car company would that make ever that much happier here?
I personally think both Acura and Infiniti need to change things. Acura first off needs to move upscale, they need a RWD V8 to compete. They're kinda battling in their own segment.
Infiniti needs to start using higher quality parts. So many parts on Infiniti's are reused, between Infiniti and Nissan. The great thing is if they compete, we all win whether it's an Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Lexus, MBZ, Audi, etc buyer.
I still think out of all the luxury brands Lexus has got it. Lower costs, reliability, innovation, style and luxury. You gotta hand it to Toyota, they know what they're doing, even if they aren't throwing us what we want (COUPES ).

I only argue that this brush stroke thing has been done by them before, looks pretty much the same as the last and doesn't thrill me. Yea it may be getting some buzz but I get much more excited by real concepts and production ready vehicles. Also another thing that annoys me is that the designs of the "new" Infiniti's are just like their predecessors. Hardly any change in exterior styling. I just feel they're playing it a little too safe. They need something new that looks gorgeous and is still different from their previous models. I can see adding some sort of legacy to the brand by making the cars similar but... for the QX I saw absolutely no differences. It was more of a mild refresh than a next generation QX.

Last edited by Koma; 01-17-07 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 07:04 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 92 SC400

Its posts like these that gives me hope in clublexus.
thank you for being one of the few unbiased Lexus owneres on this board
Old 01-17-07, 07:06 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Its posts like these that gives me hope in clublexus.
thank you for being one of the few unbiased Lexus owneres on this board
Try any other forum and you'll love CL alot more.
Old 01-17-07, 08:53 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by knihc2008
How? I didn't realize you could tell I was excited through forum posts. Seems to me the excited one here is Sick and his ranting about the debut teaser. I'm not sure why you all think this such a bad marketing move or whatever; it's the same as when Lexus released a shot of the muffler and taillamp of the IS-F during the Los Angeles auto show and NOTHING of the LF-A concept. It's just a teaser.
well said

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some of you I cannot believe, getting excited about a brushstroke. I think its laughable. The brand is languishing. Sales are down 2 years in a row.
how is the brand languishing. since you want to analyze things, look at sales on a y/y basis, going back 5 years- and tell me how the brand is languishing. the G and M are hits. the Fx didnt do bad at all (hint - they werent trying to outsell the RX). The Q of old is gone, and although the QX left something to be desired overall the brand is doing very well, considering they're starting over with everything (read: entire teams are gone now)

so please, leave your ignorance at the door.

You would think after the success of the G and M 3/45 they would CONTINUE with the product onslaught. Even the FX, while selling poorly, is a success for being different.
You're assuming they have the resources to constantly and continuously remake their cars. As it is their sales rates may look like a staircase pattern, but they're getting it done. As they become more profitable I would look for more from them...

Instead they offer the worst quallty SUV, QX56, the Q45 is discontinued and now a downmarket SUV.
Infiniti is actively working to improve the QX56. It wasnt as good as they had hoped, sure... but as I said they're actively working on improving it. It may take some time, but they're not in it for a quick buck...

Many people thought they were really going to turn it around and they did have a sales peak 2 years ago. Now, the brand is back in turmoil.
the brand is better off now than it did before the G, M, Fx, etc.

For goodness sakes, Nissan's BEST CAR , the GT-R, will be a Nissan.

Imagine a Toyota LF-A?
And that GT-R will almost certaintly have more potential than your super car LF-A. What's your point? That because the GT-R is a Nissan, Infiniti as a brand is worthless? Is that what you thought when Lexus was a division of Toyota and Toyota was building the Supra?

Originally Posted by Trexus
Fine, Infiniti our whole entire line of just G 35's and nothing else...
And Ms which often outsell GSs.
Give them credit for two outstanding cars in very important segments and the ***** to put out the FX. It's not bad considering the fact that the organization was essentially redone and was working from scratch.

Originally Posted by Koma
...Infiniti needs to start using higher quality parts. So many parts on Infiniti's are reused, between Infiniti and Nissan. The great thing is if they compete, we all win whether it's an Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Lexus, MBZ, Audi, etc buyer...
agreed

I still think out of all the luxury brands Lexus has got it. Lower costs, reliability, innovation, style and luxury.
for a majority of people yes, but until recently if you wanted something that was anything like a driver's car, then no, Lexus didn't have it. so while Lexus makes tons of cash they may not always be best...

I only argue that this brush stroke thing has been done by them before, looks pretty much the same as the last and doesn't thrill me.
the brush strokes are unique and apply to different vehicles. at a glance they may all look the same but they're not...

Yea it may be getting some buzz but I get much more excited by real concepts and production ready vehicles.
well, Infiniti tends to produce almost all of the concepts they show- and the production cars look like the concepts- unlike "other" brands. regardless, this isnt their presentation for detroit. this is a press teaser for what they will be unveiling at nyias. complaining about this is akin to complaining about the half of a picture lexus showed of the IS-F and lack of anything on the LF-A for detroit...

Also another thing that annoys me is that the designs of the "new" Infiniti's are just like their predecessors. Hardly any change in exterior styling. I just feel they're playing it a little too safe...
did they need to change much? is it wrong to create brand identity? please cc bmw and mercedes on that memo... btw, i didnt realize the FX was playing it safe? but even if that were their strategy, Lexus is the brand that really 'plays it safe' ..but that doesnt hurt sales does it?

They need something new that looks gorgeous and is still different from their previous models.
The cars look good enough that they don't NEED to be redone externally. in any case though, I'd argue the new Gs meet your criteria...
Old 01-17-07, 10:48 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal

And that GT-R will almost certaintly have more potential than your super car LF-A. What's your point? That because the GT-R is a Nissan, Infiniti as a brand is worthless? Is that what you thought when Lexus was a division of Toyota and Toyota was building the Supra?
ROFLMAO.

A 2600lb 500hp+ V10 vs a 4000lb 450hp V6. In your dreams dude.

F1-based V10 in a lightweight RWD coupe vs a Twinturbo overrated V6 in a AWD iron bathtub. HMMMMMMMMM.

Most people don't buy a $60k+ car for "modding potential" because if they want to make it fast, they have the money to do it, regardless. And I guarentee you, a NEW high-tech 5.0L+ V10 will have FAR more power potential than a 8-year-old 3.2-3.5L V6.

As far as Toyota making the Supra instead of Lexus.... HMMMMMMM again. The Supra was out in what?.... 1979 as the Celica Supra? MKII came out when? like 82? MKIII in 86 and the MKIV in 93. In 1993, Lexus was 3 years old and had a whopping 4 cars to choose from. SURE! Toyota is going to release a high-tech powerhouse car with a household name that had been around for 13-14 years and change its brand. MMMKKKK.

You can get an Infiniti at a regular rental place like Enterprise or something... can't do that with a Lexus Infiniti is most certainly NOT worthless; but 1sick's point is that all the manufacturers are debuting something; and Infiniti shows some "brushstrokes" that freshman Art student could draw in their sleep.

1sick disses Infiniti NO LESS than the German-car fanboys bash lexus; in fact, far less. Because he is actually quite unbiased. Obviously, you've missed many of the posts he's made . I've been here seemingly forever, and I know I can count on him to be very straight on the subject.

Last edited by Bean; 01-17-07 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Brace yourselves! Infiniti releases a "brushstroke" of concept