Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

dealers who stick their names on the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 11:19 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I refuse to accept a car that has the dealers logo slapped on it. I dont want it. I'll take a license plate frame but don't put that crap on my car.
Old 01-07-07, 11:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I've always told dealers that if they put any dealer ID other than a license plate frame on the car, I won't take it. None have ever given me any grief about it. When I bought my Talon, the car was sitting on the lot with the dealer's sticker already applied. I told the salesman that I wouldn't take the car if they didn't do a perfect job of removing it. When I came to pick up the car, you couldn't even tell that a sticker had ever been there.
Old 01-07-07, 11:46 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

The Sewell letters on mine were just applied with double sided tape, came off in 2 mins.. Does look better without tho
Old 01-07-07, 12:22 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Loosen the glue by heating the emblem with a hair dryer, then yank it off.
Old 01-07-07, 12:30 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Think this is more of a East Coast thing. Here in California dealers wouldnt even think of doing that!

All they do is just put a lisence plate frame with the dealers name.

many states now have laws that do not allow any type of frame around the license plate.
Old 01-07-07, 01:15 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

I'd be weary of buying from a dealership that did that sort of thing. It shows a bit about their mentality towards the cars.

That being said, I made the same demands to my dealership and they told me not to worry, they don't do that to any of their cars.
Old 01-07-07, 01:18 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by go blue 99
I've noticed lately a lot of car dealerships stick their names somewhere on the back of every car they sell. For example, Nalley Lexus in Atlanta puts "Nalley" right above the "Lexus" sign (in the same size font).

Anyone else find this really annoying? It's cool when they just put a license plate frame, because that is easily removed. But I'm not sure those dealer signs can be easily taken off.
Anyone here ever told a dealer not to put their name on the car? Do they listen?
I've never let a dealer put their name on my car. Lauderdale BMW didn't even try, Woodfield Lexus does it on the license plate frame (which doesn't bother me so much). There's a company in the hood, initials MW, that sticks something on every car they sell. Don't think it comes off easy. I'd never buy a car from a dealer that forced me to put their logo on my car (FWIW, probably not much)
Old 01-07-07, 02:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Never had it, never will. When they pay me to advertise for them I'll consider it. Dealer plates were the first thing to come off the car as soon as I got home.
Old 01-07-07, 04:28 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Never had it, never will. When they pay me to advertise for them I'll consider it. Dealer plates were the first thing to come off the car as soon as I got home.
I'm going to stop being lazy and buy a chrome license plate frame, and then toss the dealer frame.

thx!
Old 01-07-07, 06:13 PM
go blue 99
Rookie

Originally Posted by PIMPALA-SS
many states now have laws that do not allow any type of frame around the license plate.
Are you talking about Texas? Their law only limits the size of the plate frame (http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/texasplate.asp). I've never heard of a state that 100% bans plate frames.
Old 01-07-07, 07:14 PM
Haiko
Rookie

Link above is bad it should point to this page.

-----------------

The dealer I was going to buy my IS from adds their placard also. I was all geared up to go the full nine rounds with them about it, but they were to busy to sell me a car so I went to another dealer who happens to only apply the plate frames. BTW, I am still constructing my letter to the "Elite" dealership owner as well as Lexus Corporate to complain about the dealer.
Old 01-07-07, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PIMPALA-SS
LOL.

get over yourselves. The car belongs to the dealer until you buy it. they can do whatever they want with it, and you can either request they remove it, or take it off yourself if you dont like it. and i like how you guys are such e-thugs with the "i tell them to remove it, or i will kick their asses" and all the little stories that you guys talk up, but never do in person.

and if you think this is something new, you are losing your mind.

back in the day (40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and even sometimes in the 80s) Dealers would either drill holes and rivit, or drive screws right into the trunk of the car to affix their dealer plates. you should feel lucky its just a sticker!
It is the old way of advertising and a cheesy way of doing it. As I stated the top Lexus dealers don't do it. The desperate and clueless Lexus dealer does it. Car makers and desperate dealers have to do it. Most know no better.

Even with loaners, with Lexus, you get a simple number on the top, you can't even tell its a loaner. I saw an Infiniti loaner the other day with TRONCOLLI all over the sides as a loaner car and it wasn't even an Infiniti, it was a Mazda 6

If you sold the car the right way and it is an outstanding car, you won't NEED a sticker, the owner will gladly tell where they purchased the car.

Old 01-07-07, 09:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I always tell my dealer not to do that, so all I ever got is their license plate frame with their name on it.
Old 01-07-07, 09:55 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one does that in CA.
Old 01-07-07, 10:00 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
No one does that in CA.

thats a bold statement.