Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

07 Toyota Camry Transmission NHTSA Report (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 03:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota was not found at fault with this. It is just a report. When toyota is found at fault, then you can say "TOYOTA TRANNY CAUSES DEATH".

Otherwise, stating it without knowing all the facts, is borderline libel.

If we look at the report it says NO CRASH. So the title should be changed to Concern not death in my opinion.

See where it asks Crash and the answer is NO. So please change the title to concern.,
Old 01-05-07, 03:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh.

i thought this thread was about a transmission dying as a result of shift flare.
Old 01-05-07, 03:20 PM
LexFather

Okay, now what are the facts here??
There is NO CRASH, yet someone did die????

Old 01-05-07, 03:34 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, now what are the facts here??
There is NO CRASH, yet someone did die????
They died of fear of fear of a crash

All kidding aside, it does scare you when it happens into traffic, those with it do wonder about danger of it now and then but not unduly so and I think we can all agree the transmission issues need to be resolved and pronto.
Old 01-05-07, 03:41 PM
mrshyvley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Camry SE V6, and I almost got rear ended.
I normally just have the once when cold 3rd-4th flare, which after it happens, the tranny works normally.
Two days ago (Wednesday 1/3/07), I was leaving home with my engine/tranny still cold, and it hadn't yet done the 3rd-4th shift.
I was at a "T" road stopped waiting to make a right turn.
To my left, the road curves and I can only see traffic coming for a short distance.
I began my right turn, and part way through my turn, a vehicle came around the curve.
To prevent possibly getting read ended, I "goosed" the gas pedal, and all that happened was the engine revved up, and the tranny just slipped for a few seconds until it grabbed.
It dawned on me at this moment that this COULD be dangerous.
The other driver must've had to slam on his brakes to keep from rear ending me, because at the next stop sign, I was in the left turn lane and he was to my right in the straight lane.
He honked his horn at me and flipped me off.
I didn't blame him, because he couldn't have known.

Last edited by mrshyvley; 01-05-07 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 03:45 PM
LexFather

I will say this, I hope Toyota does indeed fix any tranny problem before people start getting hurt.

HELLO FIRESTONE/FORD!?!?!??

Okay, now I exit the thread

Old 01-05-07, 03:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The transmission died of course

Hopefully the number doesn't rise, no matter who makes the car. No one deserves to die because of unexpected tranny issues
Old 01-05-07, 03:52 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrshyvley
I was at a "T" road stopped waiting to make a right turn.
To my left, the road curves and I can only see traffic coming for a short distance.
I began my right turn, and part way through my turn, a vehicle came around the curve..
I could have written this, only no obstructions and it was a City Transit bus with a very LOUD horn. A T intersection right turn is what I have to travel every single day. Was worse of a scare on my former ES350 which slipped 2 to 3 most often, not as scary current though becasue so far the 2 to 3 is fine with just a slight hesitation during a rolling acceleration, it's otherwise classic 3 to 4 in this second ES350.
Old 01-05-07, 05:06 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

The report does not make sense given the detailed description. No accident but one injury and one death. My first impression was someone simply did not change the values within the computer program associated with creating the report. In any event, the transmission issues continue to be of great concern. I just took my car in so they could try and replicate. Apparently they weren't able and will try again tomorrow morning. 10/06 build.

My loaner, 07/06 build with ~4700 miles, proceeded to have three baby flares (~300rpm) and a ~700rpm flare at 2-3 in the last 24 hours. All flares happened when the car was warm with only one of the baby flares coming upon driving it away from dealer (but temp. gauge indicated it was already warm (and it was the middle of the afternoon)). No cold flares this morning after letting it sit out all night, or at any other time. I also experience the car dropping down to 1000 rpm when going 70mph for a few seconds on the freeway (relatively flat, perhaps a bit downhill). Frankly, the flares are so random, its hard to get a handle on what is going on. The transmission simply does wierd things. If you are considering this car, do yourself a favor and wait until they get things straightened out. I thought they had... boy was I wrong!

The loaner experience convinces me, however, that most, if not all of these transmissions have problems and its only a matter of time. I can easily see that many drivers, unless the flare is significant or only occassional, have no idea whats going on. Toyota/Lexus needs to step up to the plate and recognize publicly they have a major, major problem on their hands before someone (else?) gets hurt.
Old 01-05-07, 05:12 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

1sicklex

You should try to be more objective and NOT an over the top apologist for Toyota Motor Company. TMC should be embarrassed over the way they are handling transmission problems. While chasing GM they are concentrating on quantity instead of quality.

Jerry
Old 01-05-07, 05:39 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

"I can easily see that many drivers, unless the flare is significant or only occassional, have no idea whats going on."

Sentence should have read:

I can easily see that many drivers, unless the flare is significant or more than occassional, have no idea whats going on.
Old 01-05-07, 06:56 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Wow that's bad news. So Camry, ES3, Solara and what else uses this tranny? I bet there are already over 1 million of them out there.
Old 01-05-07, 07:59 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob

All kidding aside, it does scare you when it happens into traffic, those with it do wonder about danger of it now and then but not unduly so and I think we can all agree the transmission issues need to be resolved and pronto.
You may have it right "fear". The death took place at the same time the event took place. Possibly there were more than one person in the car at the time. The complaint was filed by one of the passagers?
Old 01-05-07, 09:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I am guessing this will become "news" sometime during the first quarter of this year. This is truly unbelievable.

1Sick, I agree with you that the report needs to be clarified. Something doesn't sound right. However, with all due respect, you really need to open up your eyes and your mind here. I'm as big a fan of Toyota as anyone, but this is really bad. Really bad.
Old 01-06-07, 04:40 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob

Because the report is not clear as to a crash, it says no crash, I posted on here I believe the title should be changed to not include claim of death as was appearing at that time in the title and I posted the above response. I sincerely hope the report as to indicating fatality and injury is in error and that nobody was harmed. It's lack of clarity allowed me to focus on what seemed obvious, no crash, to me meant no serious injuries.

I apologize to Ons and G35 and any reading for what may have appeared me minimizing a serious issue but offer sincere reasons for same above.

This past September and prior I did object, citing safety concerns of pulling out into traffic, several times directly to officials of Lexus pertaining to my prior ES350 transmission experiences, Torrance and Atlanta divisions, while trying to get my former ES350 issues addressed. And I objected to what it does being called a flare because I felt that was misleading.

In my experiences with former and current, the gear always catches as I said above; however, even that statement I would not want individuals to view as me having minimized the situation given the concerns expressed by me directly to Lexus. Whoever typed up the report is familiar with or was familiarized with what the transmission does in ES350 as well as Camry it seems.

Quick Reply: 07 Toyota Camry Transmission NHTSA Report (merged threads)