Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hummer rear ends School Bus Pic

Old 01-02-07, 07:23 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's crazy that the bus driver got cited. seemed like the driver pulled off to the side of the road based on the proximity to the curb face.

Good thing the H2 driver didnt have a passenger the results would have been a bit more devastating.
Old 01-02-07, 09:19 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighter
it's crazy that the bus driver got cited. seemed like the driver pulled off to the side of the road based on the proximity to the curb face.

Good thing the H2 driver didnt have a passenger the results would have been a bit more devastating.
I agree with you, but unfortunately CDL holders not only assume the brunt of the responsibility for the bad decisions of not only themselves, but also those of other drivers as well. Simply put,,anyone who holds a CDL is held to a higher standard of responsibility to avoid any situation which may cause an accident. Plainly put I have to be responsible for not only my driving but yours as well!!! In almost all situations involving any kind of accident involving a commercial vehicle, the CDL driver will be cited first and foremost, and it is up to that driver to fight it in court to prove his innocence. Not fair, but unfortunately that is how it is. I see this every day in my profession.
Old 01-02-07, 10:27 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I think that the "point" here, aside from being a terrible crash, is the irony. Too many people think they are purchasing tanks when they buy an SUV, let alone a Hummer.

This goes to show that the simple fact of being in a Hummer does not guarantee safety.

um.. the H2 IS a tank!

he didnt hit the bus on purpose because he thought he was driving a tank, it was an ACCIDENT. same thing could have happened to a geo metro. and what part of "minor injuries" dont you guys understand? he hit a school bus at full speed, and walked away!
Old 01-03-07, 07:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

also with the height of the school bus rear end it basically bypasses most of any safety design in the H2, which is why the H2 basically went under getting its windshield struck
Old 01-03-07, 08:24 AM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

^ EXACTLY!!

the damn school bus is the one thats unsafe!! they should make all school bumpers low enough to the ground that a normal car rearending it, will hit the bumper to the bumper, not drivers head to the bumper.

damn unsafe school busses. (but at least the kids are ok)
Old 01-03-07, 09:42 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know as I saw those pictures it made me think about the actual height of a Hummer. Pretty darn high.

As compared to for example or cars. And I REALLY think that had that happened to one of our cars. There would have been no chance of survival.
Scary s#$%T
Old 01-04-07, 04:11 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

terrible looking accident, glad the driver wasnt injured more seriously
Old 01-04-07, 04:35 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Compare the hummers height to normal cars and you'll see why I say hummers are not safe.

Originally Posted by PIMPALA-SS
^ EXACTLY!!

the damn school bus is the one thats unsafe!! they should make all school bumpers low enough to the ground that a normal car rearending it, will hit the bumper to the bumper, not drivers head to the bumper.

damn unsafe school busses. (but at least the kids are ok)
Old 01-04-07, 04:36 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Couldn't say it better.

Originally Posted by cpone
You know as I saw those pictures it made me think about the actual height of a Hummer. Pretty darn high.

As compared to for example or cars. And I REALLY think that had that happened to one of our cars. There would have been no chance of survival.
Scary s#$%T
Old 01-04-07, 04:55 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Found a good example of a SAFE car, story is almost similar... Guy drops his cell phone look down to find it and ends up rear ending a bus. Walked away from it with minor injury. Big difference between the two in safety actually.

He posted this at mbworld.
Attached Thumbnails Hummer rear ends School Bus Pic-gl450-a.jpg  
Old 01-04-07, 08:37 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

^
well depends on how fast the Mercedes was going and how fast the H2 was going right?
cant compare apples with oranges
Old 01-04-07, 03:04 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Wow that proves how tough these schools buses are
Old 01-04-07, 03:43 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Ouch
Old 01-04-07, 09:37 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Guys I'm with Bit - somethin be fishy here. This pic is not right at all. First off, per the news the driver of the SUV suffered minor injuries. Sorry, but take a look at that pic and explain to me where his legs went? Also as Bit points out, the one pic shows the entire front of the car gone and the second one shows the drivers section intact. Last but not least, from what I've seen, school buses are body on frame and that body comes off easier than you would think - and that bus looks like it has almost zero damage. Somethin not right here.....

Edit - well damn looks like they are real. SO HOW DID THE DRIVER OF THE HUMMER GET AWAY WITH ONLY MINOR INJURIES???

Last edited by doug_999; 01-04-07 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-04-07, 10:02 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Anyone who says that the H2 is built like crap doesn't know what they are talking about (unless you're talking about reliability). Although it shares GM's GMT820 truck platform with the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon, those vehicles differ in many ways and are constructed in three other GM plants. The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500HD-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modifed GM 1500HD-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pound (3629 kg) gross vehicle weight.

If any of you have seen the frame on the 2500HD you know it's NOT a small frame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hummer rear ends School Bus Pic