Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hummer rear ends School Bus Pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 08:02 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-01-07, 09:18 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry an H2 or H3 is not a true Hummer
Old 01-01-07, 09:27 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

I was so bored that i researched and found the story, horrible drivers http://www.theindychannel.com/news/10402840/detail.html
Old 01-01-07, 09:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

for the lazy ones

Police said Sabrina Trotter, 44, the driver of an Indianapolis Public Schools bus, stopped on the road to take a cell phone call from her mother.

Police said the driver of a Hummer, John Northrop, 54, was going northbound and was tuning his radio when he plowed into the back of the bus.

Northrop suffered minor injuries. Police ticketed Trotter for an improper stop.
Old 01-01-07, 10:57 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Dang - I had no idea those school buses were that strong! It's almost perfectly intact! A good thing too.....
Yes,, hitting the rear end or a school bus is like running into a brick wall, especially the ones which have a flat face and no nose(hood) on the front, since the engine is in the rear of these vehicles. I really am glad that the driver was only minorly hurt, but I mean who cant see a bright yellow school bus from like a mile away. School bus driver was at fault for not having at least her 4 way flashers on, but cmon she was againt the curb and not in the middle of the road like the report suggested. True, she could have used alot better judgement on where to stop to take her call. Just goes to show you that anyone who has a commercial license, I know b/c I have one as well, can be penalized for even the stupidest acts the someone else commits. Not saying that the school bus driver wasnt at fault but think about it; you just hit the rear end of a big,YELLOW, school bus that wasnt moving. How can you even justify not being able to see this thing from like a mile away.
Also agree with another members comment about the H2 and H3 not being real Hummers. These are just overpriced, differently paneled versions of the Suburban, Tahoe,, and GM builds them off of this platform.
Old 01-01-07, 11:29 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by Kaban
It's not that the bus is built strong, it that American cars are build to suck. I sure hope it was a GM executive driving in that hummer.

#1 that is a terrible thing to say.

#2 "american cars are build to suck" wow.. nice way to put it buddy. i'd like to see a similar vehicle.. like a RX330, or MDX maybe slam into the back of a school bus at the same speed. i'm sure the driver would just have "minor injuries" like the article states..... right?

Old 01-01-07, 11:32 PM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Would the same happen to an older Hummer H1?
thankfully, he wasnt driving a H1. if he had been, there is a good chance that children would have been hurt due to the height, and structure of a H1.
Old 01-01-07, 11:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I sure hope it was a GM executive driving in that hummer.
You are WAY out of line with that comment. I think you should apologize.
Old 01-02-07, 12:31 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

I am sorry, it wasn't my intension to sound like that or be insensitive about other peoples accident.

I am just venting that GM could of made something safer for everyone rather than that thing called hummer. Imagine if wasn't a school bus, instead it was a family of 5 in a Camry or mini van. Someone would be hurt because of the way the front end of hummers are made, it's "bumper" would just go throu the windshield of a car instead of hitting the cars bumper or even trunk.
Old 01-02-07, 01:28 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

It's not that the bus is built strong, it that American cars are build to suck. I sure hope it was a GM executive driving in that hummer.
Umm..isn't Bluebird an american company? Bluebird is the compnay that makes 75% of buses.
And yeah that was way out of line but you did apolgize, gotta give you that.
Old 01-02-07, 06:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

American cars aren't 'built to suck' - cars are supposed to fold up like a tin can AROUND the cabin of the car. Take a physics class or two and you'll understand why if that hummer looked as good as the bus in that picture, the driver would actually have MUCH worse injuries, if not be flat-out dead, as the force of impact would have been many many times what it was for him with it folded up like that.

Granted, it looks like it would have killed any passenger in the vehicle, but there's only so much impact a vehicle can take - hitting that bus was worse than running into a solid concrete/metal wall because the bumper of the bus was high up enough to not allow the hummer's bumper to act as intended for a head on collision.

Have you guys never seen any of the pics of the Lexus LX looking bent up after some relatively low MPH impacts?

Again, it has nothing to do with how it's made - in fact if it's made well, it WILL look effed up - and consequentially, the occupants won't.
Old 01-02-07, 06:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I am just venting that GM could of made something safer for everyone rather than that thing called hummer. Imagine if wasn't a school bus, instead it was a family of 5 in a Camry or mini van. Someone would be hurt because of the way the front end of hummers are made, it's "bumper" would just go throu the windshield of a car instead of hitting the cars bumper or even trunk.
Thanks. I don't know a whole lot about the accident, but I thought 'good' crash protection is when the front of a car *DOES* crumple up to ABSORB the impact. If the front of a vehicle is completely stiff and unbendable the OCCUPANTS become MISSILES on vehicle impact.
Old 01-02-07, 07:57 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the "point" here, aside from being a terrible crash, is the irony. Too many people think they are purchasing tanks when they buy an SUV, let alone a Hummer.

This goes to show that the simple fact of being in a Hummer does not guarantee safety.
Old 01-02-07, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

TIme and time again that people need to pay more attention while driving.

Seems like the hummer driver fiddled a little too long on the radio.
Doesn't the hummer have radio controls on the steering wheel?

I hope he's not changing a cd disc
Old 01-02-07, 10:20 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, what a horrible accident! That Tahoe got messed up!

Quick Reply: Hummer rear ends School Bus Pic