Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Porsche news u might not hear

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 01:56 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Some Porsche news u might not hear

So yall know I subscribe to like 100 mags
1. Porsche is going to buy more of VW, close to almost 30% total soon.
2. Porsche which studied and used Toyota principles to turn themselves around in the 90s, will use these same ideas on VW!
3. The head of Porsche wants Bugatti dead. He says it is a waste and just ignorant. Pierch is pretty pissed but nothing he can do. Seems the 4 door Bugatti is scrapped. There is a chance Bugatti becomes a custom coachbuilder, we are talking about $2.5 million dollar cars.
4. Bugatti is not on pace to sell its 350 sales target and is losing tons of money.
5. Porsche does not want Audi going into Porsche territory and is not happy with the new R8.
6. Over 34,000 911s were sold worldwide last year, the best year in history!
7. There is internal debate about Porsche design. It seems the 911, while a legend and unmistakeable, has kept Porsche from daring too different in design. Some insiders say they fear sameness will kill them and actually like what (gasp) Bangle has done with BMW.
8. Porsche executives have said "the day of the diesal is over". Not sure how this will effect future VW products.

Old 12-29-06, 02:04 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm...interesting. I'm gonna go see what they say on EclubVW.com and VWortex.com I just want to see what VW owners have to say about it.
Old 12-29-06, 02:06 PM
LexFather

I'm on VWvortex right now. Feel free to cut and paste my info.

Old 12-29-06, 03:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every point seems reasonable. Just a couple comments.

1. Porsche should not mess around with the 911. Keeping it in the same unmistaken form has created a loyal following. Plus, it's sexy as all get out. I have always loved it and forever will. The subtle evolution has been perfect imo. It needed to get a little bigger and it has. It needed more power and it has done that, too. It need some modernization and that has happened also. Leave the 911 alone...rather, continue with the way it has been going.
2. I thought that Audi would eventually begin to churn out more models. I'm sure manufacturers see what Benz is doing, a car for every segment and think they can do it too. I think that's a mistake. Benz is not doing it well. I think the many models they produce hurts them from perfecting any single one of the models. Audi has some nice cars and they should spend their bucks making them better. I'd love to see the A4 coupe...even an A6 coupe. I'd like to see more engine choices in all their models. They're going to spend a bunch of cash on the R8, which looks like a nice car, making it good enough to compete with other German marques. Make what they have better and sales will grow.

Last edited by Ice350; 12-30-06 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 03:18 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to see different Porsche designs, like the GT is a pretty good looking design, but hopefully they won't keep changing it every couple years as that will dilute the Porsche look we all used to.

I agree Bugatti is gotta go all these time all they came up with was that 1.3 million dollar car and it's not even available. What a waste.
Old 12-29-06, 03:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So yall know I subscribe to like 100 mags
1. Porsche is going to buy more of VW, close to almost 30% total soon.
Yea I read that they've been thinking about purchasing up to 30% of VW ever since early November. Been so up and down ever since. Who knows if they will actually go through with it.

2. Porsche which studied and used Toyota principles to turn themselves around in the 90s, will use these same ideas on VW!
Porsche practices kaizen I read (Its spreading!! ). Didnt know that. Pretty cool!

3. The head of Porsche wants Bugatti dead. He says it is a waste and just ignorant. Pierch is pretty pissed but nothing he can do. Seems the 4 door Bugatti is scrapped. There is a chance Bugatti becomes a custom coachbuilder, we are talking about $2.5 million dollar cars.
4. Bugatti is not on pace to sell its 350 sales target and is losing tons of money.
Buggati becoming a coachbuilder like the old days seems very possible IMO. Obviously they havent been making any money on these cars, but if they some how down the road start expanding there lineup based off of the Veyron platform (like what was originally planned with the sedan and lower priced Bugs), then they could definitely turn a profit. Either way, this probably wont happen for awhile. They have many years to think this through.

5. Porsche does not want Audi going into Porsche territory and is not happy with the new R8.
If Porsche gets 30% control of VW, they not only have to worry about the R8, but they have to consider Lamborghini as well (and to an extent Bentley too). Holy crap, a majority of the $100K+ car companies will be owned by one company. Insane.

IMO, I cant see Porsche suffering to much because of the R8. They sold 35,000 of them things!!

7. There is internal debate about Porsche design. It seems the 911, while a legend and unmistakeable, has kept Porsche from daring too different in design. Some insiders say they fear sameness will kill them and actually like what (gasp) Bangle has done with BMW.
Yea sameness will kill them if they keep making every other model look like a spin off of the 997. I wouldnt mind if they added more models but with different styling. Though brand identity is a great thing(especially for Porsche), the entire line up justlooks to similar. To the point that some cant even tell the difference between the Boxster and the 997.

Whats crazy is that the basic design of the 911 has been around for so long that IMO it would do more damage to the brand than help it.

8. Porsche executives have said "the day of the diesal is over". Not sure how this will effect future VW products.[/
When was the last time they implemented a diesel in the 911??