Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When Your Backyard is a Racetrack (Luxury Residential Development)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 07:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default When Your Backyard is a Racetrack (Luxury Residential Development)

A map of Victory Lane shows the 4.5-mile racetrack at the center of the development.

A new luxury residential development plans to offer the ultimate amenity for motorsport enthusiasts ? an on-site race course.

by Jesse Will
ForbesAutos.com
Published on 12/27/2006

A map of Victory Lane shows the 4.5-mile racetrack at the center of the development.+ enlarge image While most new-home shoppers might prize a quiet lot far from the roadway, there’s another breed of buyers looking to be as close to the asphalt as possible. Andrew Goggin thinks he has their number.
Goggin is the president of Unlimited Speed, a real estate development company currently selling plots of land in Victory Lane, a 3,000-acre, first-of-its-kind development located outside Savannah, Ga., where the wealthiest gearheads will get one premier perk — a private 4.5-mile race course built solely for their use.

Goggin says most residents will have a net worth between $40 million and $70 million, and their homes here will most likely be their second, third or fourth. Most households will be headed by a high-end car collector who likes to test his or her car’s performance firsthand. “The people who build here — and drive here — will be former professional drivers, current drivers and amateurs to semi-professionals,” says Goggin. “These guys know how to race.”

Victory Lane developers say that 28 of the lots have been sold, in sizes ranging from three to 30 acres and at prices starting from $675,000. The developers plan to break ground on the track in late February.

The road course, which occupies 40 acres at the center of the property, was planned by Australian Bob Barnard, a track designer who had a hand in a recent rework of Daytona International Speedway. The course will have two parts: a winding technical two-mile portion and a more undulating 2.5-mile section that includes a 5,400-foot straightaway that will double as a runway for private aircraft.

The track’s curves will follow the site’s natural topography, and there won’t be guard rails or artificial barriers, which Goggin says will result in a track that’s safely drivable for even the rarest and priciest cars. “We’re building it this way so that if your vintage Ferrari goes off the track, you aren’t likely to smash it into a wall,” he says.

The racetrack's straightaway, seen at the top of this diagram, will double as an aircraft runway : CLICK HERE

The racetrack’s straightaway, seen at the top of this diagram, will double as an aircraft runway.+ enlarge image Only the 120 Victory Lane homeowners will have rights to drive on the road course, and the track will only be in operation during daylight hours. Goggin says the relaxed atmosphere will be far removed from that of public motorsport courses. “We’re going to adhere to a certain gentleman’s ethics code to racing. When you’re out on the track with a vintage Ferrari that’s worth between $10 million and $18 million, you don’t want to be jammed up in track traffic,” Goggin says.

The track site is surrounded by pine trees and Southern Oaks, which Goggin says will mitigate the noise concerns to Victory Lane’s residents. An earthen berm will surround the course, as well.

Other amenities slated for the development include a climate-controlled and security-monitored paddock for car storage, a links-style golf course, lakes, a spa and fitness facility as well as a nature preserve with equestrian capabilities.

Racing legend Phil Hill’s name will be attached to the motorsports center. Hill is the only American-born driver to win the Formula One championship. He did so in 1961 with a Ferrari.

Goggin says the primary concept of Victory Lane is to enable racing enthusiasts to enjoy motorsports and remain close to their families instead of having to leave for the weekend. “Much of racing centers around families,” he says. “Think of the Andrettis, the Unsers, the Foyts. We think our concept helps foster a family racing culture.”
source : forbesauto
Old 12-28-06, 07:52 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow! How awesome is that
Old 12-28-06, 10:16 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats Awsome! I would love to live there.
Old 12-28-06, 12:21 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I remember reading about this in one of the car mags I get. I think it's an awesome idea... I just hope they have all their ducks in a row with regards to lawsuits the first time someone dies on that track.
Old 12-28-06, 12:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That's perfect even though I think me and my friends would abuse that by being there all hours of the day and night.
Old 12-28-06, 12:33 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i can imagine the whole area becoming very noisy
i can stand a day of car racing noises but if i was living there and having to put up with that noise everyday, i dont know if i can live with that

i can see someone like Jay Leno and Jerry Sienfeld buying houses there
Old 12-28-06, 12:36 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexArazzo

A map of Victory Lane shows the 4.5-mile racetrack at the center of the development.

source : forbesauto
Cool, I've always dreamt of this! Too bad I can't afford it. Its like Germany's Neuremberg
Old 12-28-06, 01:41 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good idea, but who'd want a home next door to all that noise? Why not make it a members only course and locate it a mile or two away?
Old 12-28-06, 02:08 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Houses start from $675,000, yet most owners will have a net worth of $40 million to $70 million? So simply being able to afford the house doesn't mean you can live there?
Old 12-28-06, 05:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I like this. I hope it sets a trend.
Old 12-28-06, 05:06 PM
LexFather

I doubt it will get too noisy as I doubt there will be races there with tons of cars.
Road Atlanta is having issues here, b/c development keeps creeping closer and closer and the bastards are complaining of noise.

This is in Savannah, a few hours from here. I think I found my new home in 20 years!

Old 12-28-06, 05:55 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by maz
Houses start from $675,000, yet most owners will have a net worth of $40 million to $70 million? So simply being able to afford the house doesn't mean you can live there?
The LOTS start at $675,000... not the actual house itself...
Old 12-28-06, 06:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
The LOTS start at $675,000... not the actual house itself...
Yes, and
Victory Lane developers say that 28 of the lots have been sold, in sizes ranging from three to 30 acres and at prices starting from $675,000
which probably means the smallest 3-acre lots starts at $675K, but the much larger ones would cost a whole lot more . . .
Old 12-28-06, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The long straightaway, when aircraft are not using it as a runway, could also double as a drag strip.

5400', by the way, is generally long enough for light jets.....if the pavement is stressed enough for their weight.
Part of what I do for a living is chart runway information.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-06 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 10:19 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a dream come true. I'd love to have a track in my "yard."

Quick Reply: When Your Backyard is a Racetrack (Luxury Residential Development)