Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Bullet Sedans #1 E63, #2 S6, #3 M5

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 02:22 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The UZZ32 came out in 1991...They havent learned anything since then?

Here is a Link, do some constuctive reading.

Driver's opinion of the system and differences between the UZZ30/31/32 (optional TEMS/airbag/active suspension models) can be found here.

now back to the topic at hand........
Well...no offense but that technology is as old as the 3rd gen sorar in your pic. Look at how bulky that system is...

You want to know who "developed" the system? Check here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_suspension

Toyota merely copied it like they did on everything else, copy and pasting is great but it aint no learing. You really think Lexus RX "developed" the run flat technology like they lead you to believe in the commerical too?

Lexus has been praised on just about everything except when it comes to suspension, and the new LS still drives like a boat I am sure they learned quite a bit since '91 :P. If they learned anything
is they need to find a cheaper parts supplier so they can develop it into their cars at a lower price so it can actually handle better.

Last edited by Kaban; 12-29-06 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-29-06, 02:23 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've had many discussions with some good people.C&D has lost its way
They are from Ann Arbor. What do you expect!
Old 12-29-06, 03:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
this same mag placed the LS460 last place, and this month placed the Camry behind a Kia. Then raved on at how perfect the Accord is.
So Mr. Jones, have you driven both the new Camry, Accord, and Kia?
Old 12-29-06, 04:20 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Tell that to the engineers of the AE86 through AE101 corolla Levin & Trueno, MKIV Supra, 3 generations of MR2s and 7 generations of celica fwd & 3 generations awd.

Granted, they arent Porsche nor are they perfect, but they do know what they are doing and know how to ask for help (from companies such as Lotus...which they used to own part of) when they dont. Their product is a result of their market and the ****** who file lawsuits because of their stupidity/lack of driving skills
It's not that Toyota products are bad in handling, but in their respective classes, they are outgunned by the competition.
take the IS for example. 3er and G35 handles better.
GS? 5er and M handel better.
LS? etc. etc.

Simply put, Nissan and BMW have figured out how to make well handling chassis and platforms. Toyota has not.
Old 12-29-06, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
It's not that Toyota products are bad in handling, but in their respective classes, they are outgunned by the competition.
take the IS for example. 3er and G35 handles better.
GS? 5er and M handel better.
LS? etc. etc.

Simply put, Nissan and BMW have figured out how to make well handling chassis and platforms. Toyota has not.
I think some of us are mixing up handling better with steering feel. The Lexus is not far behind the BMW or G35 in handling, but Lexus still isolates the driver through the steering wheel.
Also, VDIM was the main issue with the mags, as they are trying to break out rear ends and that is impossible with VDIM.
With it off, it is a big difference but C&D has not tested the 07 IS yet.
Also Lexus needs to insist on sending their GS with the optional **** system to reviews.

In Motor Trend, the Camry SE beat the Altima SE-R in a comparo.
The Maxima handles like a boat, worse than a Camry or Avalon.

Lets not generalize too much. Each brand makes some great handlers and some not so great ones.

Bottom line, it doesn't even matter IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE. Every time I take a corner and hit the gas, and watch a BMW or other "handler" brake up in a corner, I chucke.

Old 12-29-06, 04:55 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Only in Europe do people recognize Audi as the equal to BMW and MB. Your last sentence can be applied to BMW and MB as well. That's how customers get better products from time to time.
Make that Europe, Canada, Asia, South America, and the Middle East....oh and lets not forget South Africa.
Old 12-29-06, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

-The active suspension found on the soarer, is NOT TEMS.
Thanks for the link on A-SUS - never heard of it! Was this released in the U.S.? Is it still offered 15 yrs later? If it was dropped, why was it dropped?

Where I live we dont get many USDM cars.
Your posts show 'NY' as location - you're not in New York?

Anyway, thanks for your interesting posts!
Old 12-29-06, 07:02 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mavericck
Make that Europe, Canada, Asia, South America, and the Middle East....oh and lets not forget South Africa.
I disagree with you, and most people in those area except Europe will do the same thing. But it doesn't really matter.

Btw, if the B5 RS4 was available in the US that would be my car. It's a shame Audi USA doesn't import the B7 RS4 Avant, else you may see me in one also. Hope this little piece of information makes you feel better.

Last edited by JZA80MHU38; 12-29-06 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 07:06 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks for the link on A-SUS - never heard of it! Was this released in the U.S.? Is it still offered 15 yrs later? If it was dropped, why was it dropped?

Your posts show 'NY' as location - you're not in New York?

Anyway, thanks for your interesting posts!
Stay in NY when i'm in the US (every year or so), they didnt have other options in the registration....maybe the site should be changed to Club Lexus USA?
Old 12-30-06, 07:18 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaban
Well...no offense but that technology is as old as the 3rd gen sorar in your pic. Look at how bulky that system is...

You want to know who "developed" the system? Check here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_suspension

Toyota merely copied it like they did on everything else, copy and pasting is great but it aint no learing. You really think Lexus RX "developed" the run flat technology like they lead you to believe in the commerical too?

Lexus has been praised on just about everything except when it comes to suspension, and the new LS still drives like a boat I am sure they learned quite a bit since '91 :P. If they learned anything
is they need to find a cheaper parts supplier so they can develop it into their cars at a lower price so it can actually handle better.

Umm I know Colin Chapman at Lotus developed it, just like he did the carbon fibre monocoque chassis. Very innovative and pioneering guy. You may also note that Lotus never put it in a road going car. You may even further note, that toyota used to own shares of lotus (wether or not it was around that time im not sure). So as for your 'copy an paste' theory you could be right in a sense, but you still have no point.

I dont expect the LS to handle like a sports car, nor would I want it to. Ive never driven a LS460, but im told the new LS with a touring package and air suspension isnt too shabby at all and much better than the previous gen LS. I have had experience with the LS400s though and for a car its size, i cant really complain about its handling....not that i'd worry about it much, because anybody looking for this kind of car to handle like a ferarri need to look elsewhere...Ferrari perhaps perhaps? Its a luxury car for Christ's sake!!
Old 12-30-06, 07:19 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

p.s. Its soarer not sorar
Old 12-30-06, 09:44 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I won the lottery I would take the E63 as well
Old 12-30-06, 10:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Out of the 3, it's probably E63 for me, but I'd rather have the CLS63
Old 12-30-06, 02:24 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I disagree with you, and most people in those area except Europe will do the same thing. But it doesn't really matter.

Btw, if the B5 RS4 was available in the US that would be my car. It's a shame Audi USA doesn't import the B7 RS4 Avant, else you may see me in one also. Hope this little piece of information makes you feel better.
Ever been to China or Taiwan? If you had been you would tend to agree with me.
Old 12-30-06, 03:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaban

Do you know this for sure, or are you basing this off of the Wiki article?

I'm pretty sure Colin Chapman developed the concept and general idea, not the specific system that Toyota had.

I guess Mercedes copied Lotus too huh .

Quick Reply: C&D Bullet Sedans #1 E63, #2 S6, #3 M5