Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got 4 tickets $700...lol

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 04:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Just got 4 tickets $700...lol

Ok, I was going to get on the highway then my friend in my car told me that was the wrong on ramp. I was going about 60mph or so approaching the highway then I quickly changed lanes back over to the service road. I unknowingly did this when there was a cop behind me.

Violations are as follows: 60 in a 45 zone(getting off the highway ramp?!?) and my V1 radar didn't go off, he said he paced me to get that speed. Lane change fail to signal (ok, I'll admit it but it was a last second thing). Failed to show insurance (the card in my car is expired but I have the valid one at home). Front license plate not mounted. The cop was a total asshat lol. Anyways, the total ticket amount is close to $700 or so. I'm thinking he probably gave me all these tickets because he got pissed/jealous, maybe a young guy driving a modded out GS?

I know I can get the no insurance and probably the front plate citations dismissed. As for the other two, I'm not quite sure what to do about it. My friend said the speed by pacing is BS and that gets dismissed easily. Any suggestions from you guys?
Old 12-13-06, 05:01 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the first violation is legit, but the other 3 are complete BS. These kind of situations are not unknown to me as I've gotten numerous tickets myself when I had my Supra. If you go to court and be nice to the judge he will probably let the small stuff slide. I remember I got a ticket for not having sidemarkers (I had them shaved off with my paintjob), and the judge told me to put tape or something so the cops think I have one on, LOL.

BTW - How old are you?
Old 12-13-06, 05:03 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in Texas is it legal to ask to see the radar? Because that is what i have done in the past in kansas, and a couple of times it has got me off the hook. The pacing thing is bull****, why didn't he just gun you if he was right behind you??? idiot cops...
Old 12-13-06, 05:08 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I'm 21 and driving a modded out GS

I did ask the cop for the radar slip or some kind of proof and all he told me was that he paced me to get the speed and that he doesn't have to show jack. Then he said in a pretty rude tone "are you going to sign the ticket or not" (sounded like he was going to arrest me if I asked anymore questions lol).
Old 12-13-06, 05:10 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I'm thinking he probably gave me all these tickets because he got pissed/jealous, maybe a young guy driving a modded out GS"

maybe its beacause you broke the law???? I doubt it was becasue he was jealous.......

If you think you were wronged, go to court. I too hate Ahole cops, but you cant do anything other then dispute his opinion in a court of law. and if he paced you then that is his "legal opinion" of the situation.
Old 12-13-06, 05:11 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
"I'm thinking he probably gave me all these tickets because he got pissed/jealous, maybe a young guy driving a modded out GS"

maybe its beacause you broke the law???? I doubt it was becasue he was jealous.......
Note, it was a joke...some sarcasm
Old 12-13-06, 05:15 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kilo6_one

I've gotten about 8+ tickets when I had my modded Supra. I've gotten zero tickets in ANY of my other non-modded cars even though they are much more "luxurious." Knock on wood. Just sharing the facts, make your own conclusions.

Last edited by uplusd; 12-13-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 06:32 PM
VM 2
Pole Position

You can try and fight it. Ask for any calibration records on the cop's speedometer.

Also, the "speed limit" on an onramp isn't necessarily the sign posted up, unless its white. Usually on an offramp, they'll post up a Cautionary speed, usually in a YELLOW sign.

You should look up the laws on those signs.

I got out of a ticket like that one time on my bike. I was kneedraggin on the onramp, and the cop pulled me over asking if I knew it was a 30mph speed limit. I told him that it was a speed warning, to warn trucks and such. He let me off with a stern warning after that.
Old 12-13-06, 07:19 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

The whole "he's jealous" thing is just stupid. A violation is a violation. I got paced going 70 in a 55. I actually went faster cause there was a car right up my rear end, turned out to be a cop :/

Since he "paced" me, it wasn't really legit. The ticket got thrown out real easy. You just need to talk to the prosecutor.

The insurance card can easily be done with once you show you have insurance in court.

The signal change is a no point ticket, so you'll take that. The no license plate is also a no point ticket, so you can take it. Actually those 2 you can't evne argue it.
Old 12-13-06, 07:25 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VM 2
You can try and fight it. Ask for any calibration records on the cop's speedometer.

Also, the "speed limit" on an onramp isn't necessarily the sign posted up, unless its white. Usually on an offramp, they'll post up a Cautionary speed, usually in a YELLOW sign.
Your post is correct but I don't think it applies in this case since since he was doing the 60MPH or so when approaching the ramp.

Don't you just hate it when u receive new insurance cards by mail and forget to replace the old one sitting in your glove compartment. Sometimes the cops don't want to hear that story.
Old 12-13-06, 07:38 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Don't you just hate it when u receive new insurance cards by mail and forget to replace the old one sitting in your glove compartment. Sometimes the cops don't want to hear that story.
I wonder why the heck they can't just punch in the insurance policy number on their computer in the car and look up if it's still valid or not. I mean it's all linked to the drivers license so I don't think it would be all that difficult.

As for breaking the law, yes I know I did....but I mean jeez the cop could of given me a little break. Maybe more warnings and less citations Also, what mrurmil said, cops are more nit picky if they see a car that is modded out VS a bone stock car. Don't argue it, you know I am right about that point.
Old 12-13-06, 07:57 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Sounds like the cop was being a "Richard". You should show up in court and dispute. Good luck.
Old 12-13-06, 08:05 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

good luck with the hearing....
Man the cop car couldnt keep up with you...
hehe second thought, you should have outdriven hime and got away from those fatass cops
Old 12-13-06, 08:05 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 12-13-06, 08:14 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I've gotten 13 speeding tickets in the past 6 years, 12 in my mom's 4cyl Camry and 1 in a rented minivan

Since I got my GS this past summer, I've been pulled over 3 times, and let off with warnings every time. I'm 23 so I don't look like I should be driving a GS either, sometimes it's just random

Quick Reply: Just got 4 tickets $700...lol