Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Infiniti Flagship (Q50 ?? ) Flagship Rendering in Japanese Magazine . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 06:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
In any case, I think more competition from Infiniti & Acura is good. I look forward to see a new Q & also would like to see Acura make a large luxury V8 flagship as well.
Lexus have to take them seriously, it's not only MB & BMW they are competing against.
If anything, more competition from Infiniti & Acura can hopefully keep Lexus on their toes & push them to not only keep improving their existing models, but to strengthen their luxury model lineup as well by adding more model varieties, especially at the higher end, to further distance themselves from Infiniti & Acura, & compete better with MB & BMW in a model to model basis.
Which is the case I stated in the LS forum thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252071

Old 12-12-06, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

At that time, the Q's design was nice, both inside and out.

I didn't think the LS was that nice considering it looked like a bigger ES 250

I would like to see a new Q also.
Didn't they win some award back then for their interior where it made to some museum?
Old 12-13-06, 11:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In any case, I think more competition from Infiniti & Acura is good. I look forward to see a new Q & also would like to see Acura make a large luxury V8 flagship as well.
Lexus have to take them seriously, it's not only MB & BMW they are competing against.
If anything, more competition from Infiniti & Acura can hopefully keep Lexus on their toes & push them to not only keep improving their existing models, but to strengthen their luxury model lineup as well by adding more model varieties, especially at the higher end, to further distance themselves from Infiniti & Acura, & compete better with MB & BMW in a model to model basis.
The main competition for Lexus is the German luxury brands. The reason is because they all have bigger lineups than Lexus, and are still considered to be more prestigious in many countries outside of the US, than Lexus.

Acura and Infiniti, while competition for Lexus at the lower end, have nothing currently to provide as competition in the higher end of the scale. Acura and Infiniti have nothing to compete with the LX, or the LS, or even the SC. The upcoming GT-R will be branded a Nissan, not an Infiniti, which means it won't be very much luxurious. The next NSX will be an Acura yes, so it will compete against the Lexus LF-A. The LF-A though is supposed to be highest performing Japanese supercar, not to mention the most luxurious.

Acura and Infiniti also are not in as many worldwide markets as Lexus. Infiniti only recently got into the Russian market, and outside of North America, Acura has virtually no presence. Lexus remains the only one in the Japanese market currently.

About 2 or so years ago, Toyota made Lexus organizationally separate from the Toyota brand. Lexus now has their own design studios, their own R & D teams, and their own offices. Although obviously still Toyota, they are organizationally separate now from Toyota. This is to better focus Lexus as a brand and to further differentiate themselves from Toyota vehicles. Acura is attempting to do this as well, but has a long way to go. Infiniti has yet to undertake similar measures.
Old 12-13-06, 11:54 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nissan is really the underdog--- Their sales haven't ever been up to par with Toyota and Honda until lately--- All these design changes take money-- something they've struggled with-- The next 5 years will show who they really are--

Remember, Toyota has been in the mid-sized truck for about 10 years, Nissan's mid-sized entry has never really been a mid-sized vehicle until the past 4 years-- In comparison to the super brands, they're way behind, but their competence as an auto-maker is proven. I think we all know that. The titan, altima, and Maxima, not to mention infiniti's G an M, are all making them money-- That money will finally show up in the next 5 years.

They have the capability to do it big-- remember the suede interior and climate control 160 mph Z32???? I thought you would. Every bit as nice as a supra... In the right position they can compete one to one against anyone in their class-- They are finally getting into that position.

At least we can finally get a GT-R in the states. You guys know how many people wish they cold get their hands on one of those.
Old 12-13-06, 12:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Nissan is really the underdog--- Their sales haven't ever been up to par with Toyota and Honda until lately--- All these design changes take money-- something they've struggled with-- The next 5 years will show who they really are--

Remember, Toyota has been in the mid-sized truck for about 10 years, Nissan's mid-sized entry has never really been a mid-sized vehicle until the past 4 years-- In comparison to the super brands, they're way behind, but their competence as an auto-maker is proven. I think we all know that. The titan, altima, and Maxima, not to mention infiniti's G an M, are all making them money-- That money will finally show up in the next 5 years.

They have the capability to do it big-- remember the suede interior and climate control 160 mph Z32???? I thought you would. Every bit as nice as a supra... In the right position they can compete one to one against anyone in their class-- They are finally getting into that position.

At least we can finally get a GT-R in the states. You guys know how many people wish they cold get their hands on one of those.
Nissan's worldwide sales this year have been dropping, despite a relatively fresh lineup. In Japan especially, their sales dropped double digits, so much so that they lost 2nd place market position to Honda.

With Ghosn, Nissan seems focused mainly on styling and performance. The problem is Nissan's styling is becoming very redundant and no longer fresh. The new G35 and new Altima are extremely similar styling-wise compared to their previous generation models. And the other problem is that Nissan no longer has a performance advantage, especially with Toyota's new GR V6 engines, Honda coming with new engines, and even GM coming out with competitive engines.

Ghosn for a long time denounced hybrids, and recently Nissan unveiled it's "green program", which contradicts all the negative things Ghosn stated about hybrids. Ghosn of course does not want to admit he was wrong, and that Nissan by competitive pressure is being forced to develop hybrids of it's own.

Nissan needs to focus on making well-rounded cars, and to increase their customer retention. Top two brands according to JD Power in customer retention are Toyota and Lexus, with Nissan somewhere in the middle, and Infiniti somewhere near the bottom. That shows that Nissan still has a lot of work to do.
Old 12-13-06, 05:34 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If u can find a quote where I said the M35/45 would fail, please do so. Otherwise I said the RL would fail, the M35/45 was okay but the GS was my favorite. After seeing the M35/45 being 5k-10k less than the competiton, it was clear people would buy it. I am not a fan of the brand, I am still unimpressed as a whole and don't expect me to be even though I really like the new G35. I am not one that can forget 15 years of mediocrity, not my nature.

It is advertised as "the M from a company called Infiniti". I think "M" I think this.

If i could actually do a search from your posts 1-2 years ago, i would be able to quote you on that. The M35/45 is 5-10k less than bmw and mercedes not lexus. The GS vs M has a 2-3k difference
Old 12-13-06, 06:54 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold nissans, I'm not biased, I do own a 91 G20, which has cost me tons of money in the long run that has been frustrating to say the least. The SR20 is yet still an awesome engine when well maintained, and this car will drive anywhere any speed, no problem... Handles awesome. All that stuff..

Their entire lineup was new and flashy, but all in all left something to be desired on the inside, as they somehow always have... Sorta like the Ford or Chevy of Japan...

They do still build one of the best engines on the planet when they want to, with an unrivaled VQ since it's inception in 95... Unbeatable...

I guess the strength of the company reviving will depend upon the strength of their leadership, which appears to be poor at the moment.....

They have proven their capabilities when they wanted to, and the SR20 has a cultish following that will never die, but sadly, their infiniti line has never been that strong, despite the obvious quality in their drivetrains, due to cheaper interiors and cost cutting in different areas, sometimes design, sometimes other things..

I won't ever rule the company out, but they have shown promise in the past 5 years, and will continue to remain a strong player against the best automakers in the world.. Honda and Toyota [not necessarily in that order]..

About BMW, no other auto maker will ever fill their shoes no matter how hard they try.. They just have a spot all to their own and they won't be duplicated. Their reputation is too strong to thwart by anyone from any angle, and have owner loyalty second to none.. There are always exceptions to every rule.

Lexus/Toyota has their own niche also, and I think they'll control the market for a long time to come. I still can't wait to see some of the next gen Nissan's to come, b/c they're sure to come up with something else that will prove to be a milestone.

In a lot of ways Nissan/Toyota are very similar, but Toyota has always done more and bigger every time, but Nissan has never been far behind in terms of quality, evolution, or technology, and their battle will always be interesting to watch. I'm sure I'll own both brands again over the years. But a BMW would be nice in the garage for a good E30 project car.

I'm interested to see the new Infiniti designs, and if it's a better performer, I wouldn't think twice about getting one.
Old 12-13-06, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

My drawing beats your drawing.
Old 12-20-06, 09:51 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not sure selling 700-800 a month is a good business case when the competiton sells 2-4 times as much. Unless the new Q is a stretched M, which is already a stretched G35 which is a stretched 350Z...that would seriously cut costs.

How are you gonna say that "Q is a stretched M, which is already a strethced G35, which is a stretched 350z"?

I honestly dont see how the G35 looks like a 350z... the only thing I see in common is the fact that they use the same FM platform, thus have the same engine, drivtrain.

In other words, from your analogy/comparison, you are stating that the M45/M45 looks like a 350z...

Either your too much of a Lexus Fan Boy/ Infiniti Hater, or we're are seeing totally different things.

I have high hopes for this next "Q".

Look at how extremely well Infinti has done to all the Redesigned and All new Vehicles starting from the Debut of the G35... Excellent.

I wouldnt be surpriced to see the "Q" sell as well as the G35/M35,M45/FX35,FX45.

Old 12-20-06, 09:57 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

This is a little off topic, but whenever I think of luxury, Acura is one of the last ones in mind.

I honestly dont see why a "Luxury" division would create vehicles such as the Acura RSX which start as low as a Honda civic ($20,325) and the TSX which starts at $28,090.

Those 2 Acura cars take the "Luxury" away from Acura.
Old 12-21-06, 03:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
How are you gonna say that "Q is a stretched M, which is already a strethced G35, which is a stretched 350z"?

I honestly dont see how the G35 looks like a 350z... the only thing I see in common is the fact that they use the same FM platform, thus have the same engine, drivtrain.

In other words, from your analogy/comparison, you are stating that the M45/M45 looks like a 350z...

Either your too much of a Lexus Fan Boy/ Infiniti Hater, or we're are seeing totally different things.

I have high hopes for this next "Q".

Look at how extremely well Infinti has done to all the Redesigned and All new Vehicles starting from the Debut of the G35... Excellent.

I wouldnt be surpriced to see the "Q" sell as well as the G35/M35,M45/FX35,FX45.

1. Welcome to Clublexus
2. Re-read the rules you signed up to, don't make personal attacks on any member and clearly not moderators.
3. If you knew ANYTHING about your own company, you WOULD KNOW the M is built off the FM platform, the wheelbase was stretched and reinforced. It is a FM based car. Which is where the G35 came from, which is where the 350Z came from. So don't get mad at me, THAT is the TRUTH.
4. Infiniti ain't doing well. Sales are down 2 years in a row. Don't confuse one or two good cars with doing well. The QX56 is the worst quality vehicle you can buy. The Q is discontinued. The refreshed FX can't sell worth a lick.
TO their credit, the G35 and M35/45 are outstanding cars.
They sell as many car classes (G/M) as SUVs (FX/QX). How is that doing well?
5. There is one thing to have styling cues, there is one thing to look the same.
6. I suggest being a newb know about your brand, before debating.

Old 12-22-06, 10:05 PM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

A V8 RWD Acura will happen before this. But whats the point of them both?