Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Accord Coupe Concept @ Detroit (Sedan rendering pg. 8)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 07:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Honda Accord Coupe Concept @ Detroit (Sedan rendering pg. 8)

Text & photos edited by Brian Potter
Source: Honda USA
12-05-2006

North American International Auto Show

A bold new look for the next-generation Honda Accord Coupe will be unveiled at the January 2007 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today.

The Accord Coupe Concept will convey exterior styling cues and design features that provide a first look at the direction the next-generation Accord will take and it promises to set a new benchmark for Accord and for the segment. The Accord is Honda's best selling model in North America, and this vehicle's debut at NAIAS will mark the first time an Accord concept car has ever been shown at a major auto show.

Car and Driver magazine recently named the current-generation 2007 Honda Accord as one of the winners of its prestigious and highly competitive annual "10Best Cars" award. The Accord has achieved "10Best" status 21 times in the 25 years that Car and Driver editors have been conducting the competition, more than any other vehicle in the award's history.
source : worldcarfans
Old 12-05-06, 07:59 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hot hot hot!
Old 12-05-06, 08:01 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Accord coupe was, per Honda, intended to be a suitable fail-over for prelude buyers when the prelude was discontinued.

I never really subscribed to that theory as the 2-door Accord even today looks pretty conservative and drives pretty conservatively, too.

If they were to make it even close to THAT aggressive looking, and make the driving experience match the looks... then maybe there would finally be truth to that statement. That car looks more like what I would expect a modern day prelude to look like than a modern day Accord.

From what I understand the number of shared components between the coupe and the sedan version of the Accord... especially on the outside, is pretty limited, already - yet that's not immediately visually apparent to the average buyer. I've just always wondered why Honda would go to the extra expensive of creating so many unique parts for their coupe, yet half of them are not noticeably all that different unless you put them side by side and measure them out.

Being that the new Accord is supposed to be out in less than a year I'm surprised they're just now showing a concept car, unless the expected release date for the new Accord was pushed back to model year 2009?
Old 12-05-06, 08:21 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
hot hot hot!
Too bad that the final product won't look anything like that.
Old 12-05-06, 10:11 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it could be pretty production ready. Honda concepts never stray too far from their production models.
Old 12-05-06, 10:37 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Looks like it could be pretty production ready. Honda concepts never stray too far from their production models.
I don't know about that.... Although it was the Acura concept the CL back in the late 90's was "OFF DA HOOK!!" ..... The production car was ehhhh bland and boring....

If the production coupe is close to this rendition I would be very surprised... My mother would have to find a less flashy coupe to drive...lol
Old 12-05-06, 11:14 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Blah!

Another front wheel driver from Honda. How exciting! Not!
Old 12-05-06, 11:20 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Another front wheel driver from Honda. How exciting! Not!
What car in this class isn't FWD?

Anyways... Rumor has it that Honda has a surprise for us under the hood.

Also, not digging the Scion tC tailights.
Old 12-05-06, 12:02 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
What car in this class isn't FWD?

Anyways... Rumor has it that Honda has a surprise for us under the hood.

Also, not digging the Scion tC tailights.
Who said anything about class? In general Honda/Acura makes fine, reliable automobiles that gets you from point A to point B with a little spirited driving experience thrown in for fun. I would like to see Honda or Acura for that matter step up to the plate and produce a proper RWD 4 door sports sedan with a V8 and a 6 speed manual or at the very least a DSG-like transmission box. Now is that too much to ask for?
Old 12-05-06, 12:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes that's too much to ask for. They're not in the market for something like that right now. This thread is merely for discussion of the concept of a honda accord
Old 12-05-06, 01:07 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Yeah seriously that's like going into a BMW 3-series thread and opining why they keep making four door rear drive sedans, and not BMW supercars.

I think that this car is a little closer to production than the amazing Acura CL concept; I mean, the proportions and general shape of the vehicle is totally production-feasible. The only thing I see going are the wheels and the exhaust; plus the CL concept was a looong time ago. Recent Honda concepts have been consistently close to their production off spring, ie Ridgeline, MDX, RDX, Civic "concepts," etc.
Old 12-05-06, 04:52 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

I would like to see Honda or Acura for that matter step up to the plate and produce a proper RWD 4 door sports sedan with a V8 and a 6 speed manual or at the very least a DSG-like transmission box. Now is that too much to ask for?

Yeah, that is to much to ask for. Lexus doesn't have it. Infiniti doesn't have it. Mercedes doesn't have it. Why would Acura have it? Let alone Honda.
Old 12-05-06, 06:52 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Yeah, that is to much to ask for. Lexus doesn't have it. Infiniti doesn't have it. Mercedes doesn't have it. Why would Acura have it? Let alone Honda.
Have what? IS-F, aka IS500 is RWD, V8 and 8 speed auto. Where is Acura's answer to this???
Old 12-05-06, 07:39 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Have what? IS-F, aka IS500 is RWD, V8 and 8 speed auto. Where is Acura's answer to this???
Well if you want to get silly and talk about concept cars, then the Acura Advanced Sedan is the answer. Where was Lexus's answer to the NSX? See how stupid that sounds?

I won't even BEGIN to go further on this. knihc2008 and Gsteg have already summed it up for you.
Old 12-05-06, 07:52 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5 spd auto in a 2004+ V6 accord is extremely smooth, and responds quickly..

The 240 hp 3.0 wails to redline-- with ZERO hint of edginess....

It's more refined of a drive than a Maxima, although for a sedan, is a pretty damn strong running car.

If I had to pick a wife car-- the Accord every time....

The torque steer in a Maxima is unruly... Can be scary--

I will always respect the H company. Though I may never own one as a personal drive..

Their """"" Trucks """""" are just a bit too "" un truck '"" for me.. They make me want to get two 4WD Titans and rip one apart with a good couple of tow straps/chains... Or drag one sideways down the street as I go about my daily errands with a full size Chevy Duramax or something... You know what I mean..

Quick Reply: Honda Accord Coupe Concept @ Detroit (Sedan rendering pg. 8)