Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Concept Tiguan Makes World Debut At Los Angeles Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 03:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Concept Tiguan Makes World Debut At Los Angeles Auto Show

CONCEPT TIGUAN MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW

Volkswagen has unveiled its compact 4x4, the Concept Tiguan, at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and has announced that the first examples of the SUV will be delivered to customers by the end of next year.

The first news of the Tiguan’s development came with the debut of Concept A in Berlin earlier this year. This was followed by the naming of the model in July, the result of a poll of more than 350,000 readers of magazines of the AutoBild group. This latest development in Los Angeles takes the Tiguan one step closer to production and hints strongly at how the final version could look.

Maintaining the ‘baby Touareg’ appearance of the Concept A, Concept Tiguan makes a bold styling statement. At 4.4 metres long, 1.85 m wide and 1.69 m high, it is very similar in size to the Touran compact MPV (4.4 m, 1.8 m, 1.6 m). Klaus Bischoff, who was responsible for the exterior design of the car said: ‘It was very important for us to have the car appear powerful and muscular. For us that was a higher priority than anything else. An off-roader needs a long hood and an upright position. That lends the vehicle self-assuredness and power.’

The Concept Tiguan’s ‘face’ and side profile are immediately recognisable as those of a Volkswagen, and yet they are different from all existing models in the range. The dark-anodised metallic tone of the front grille contrasts with the body colour, while a grid pattern and two dominant cross fins to the left and right of the Volkswagen roundel complete the look.

Another feature is the Concept Tiguan’s tyre design. These 19-inch prototypes, developed by Continental, have an orange radial stripe beneath the tyre profile which matches the car’s paint colour. This colour is not simply painted on: it penetrates the rubber layer as a ‘baked in’ component of the tyre’s casing. The eye-catching anthracite-coloured alloy rims are likely to feature in the production vehicle.

At the rear, the lights are integrated into the shoulder section similar to those on the Eos and Passat, while the steeply sloping tailgate extends right down to the bumpers, giving the Tiguan an unmistakably SUV design.

Inside the Concept Tiguan, the black, silver and orange colour theme continues. The vintage style black leather seats are trimmed with an orange pattern which mirrors that of the tyre tread. A panoramic sunroof adds light to the spacious interior which can seat up to five occupants, while to add versatility, the rear bench seat can slide fore and aft and be folded down to increase loadspace.

Under the bonnet, the concept car features a completely new type of diesel engine, called BLUETEC. Developed in partnership with Audi and Mercedes-Benz and presented for the first time at the LA show, BLUETEC employs a modular concept of different systems to reduce emissions significantly. One of these systems is the NOx storage catalytic converter which cuts nitrogen oxides by up to 90 per cent over current diesel units. This ‘Clean TDI’ will comply with the strictest emissions standards in the world and is one of the first components of the BLUETEC offensive.

Old 11-28-06, 03:31 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it would look a lot worse but I'm sure ridiculously large wheels make any car look that much better. I hate to say it but the car, and especially the way the side is shaped along with the greenhouse, shouts RDX to me.
Old 11-28-06, 04:51 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it does resemble RDX quite a bit to me too

the interior is pretty hip except for the sharp edges of the leather trimming near the left AC vent
Old 11-28-06, 06:09 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I like it! If they were produced like that, I would totally sport it!
Old 11-28-06, 06:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty sweet for a Golf on steroid although that piece of leather across the dash looks somewhat cheesy.
Old 11-29-06, 10:38 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

i havent been impressed with VAG stuff in wahile but DAM i'm really impressed with this car. It's bigger brother the Touareg needs some styling cues off this bugger...really aggressive and i like. The 4 cylinder diesel will definitely help get some additional sales
Old 11-29-06, 11:32 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Who ever is in charge at VW for approving vehicle names should be tortured and killed.

First they came up with Toureg...new Tiguan. WTF?

Did they forget they are targeting the American market?
Old 11-30-06, 02:16 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Who ever is in charge at VW for approving vehicle names should be tortured and killed.

First they came up with Toureg...new Tiguan. WTF?

Did they forget they are targeting the American market?
maybe VW hired name creator from Ikea?
lol

i bet the next SUV will be called BYGGA or something crazy...
Old 11-30-06, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

mmarshall's gonna love that paint job.

Sweet looking car but kinda ripoff of X5.
Old 11-30-06, 09:34 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another suv, sav, cross over or whatever the he__ they call them coming to the market
Old 12-01-06, 03:13 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

not a cute yute fan, but that one is nice.
Old 01-17-07, 11:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Toyota goes into domain name war with Tiguan.com

posted on 01.17.2007 09:48 By Philippe Daix

While the Volkswagen Tiguan concept car has just been unveiled at LA auto show last year, it seems the hostility already started from Toyota.

The new weapon: Tiguan.com domain name. This name will obviously be typed in by numerous buyers when the car will be available someday in 2008 but they might be surprised to see toyota.com website coming up on their screen. it is surprising to see this kind of maneuver from a big car manufacturer. Are they really afraid of the Tiguan that much ? I admit the name itself is scary.

We remember the domain name was for sale just a few days after the name Tiguan was released by volkswagen. If I remember well the price was $5,000. It seems that Toyota was faster than VW on this one.

It will be interesting to see who will be owner of the name when the Tiguan will effectively be on sale sometime in 2008.

The Volkswagen Tiguan will to compete with the Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV and Hyundai Santa fe.
source : topspeed
Old 01-17-07, 11:33 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

lol who wouldve thought toyota would play dirty with VW

cant VW just change the name since its still a concept?
Old 01-17-07, 11:34 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone can register any domain name and redirect it to any website. According to the WHOIS database, this domain name is obviously personal and has nothing to do with Toyota Motor Corp. Both todaynic.com and now.cn are Chinese domain registrar sites, BTW.

Domain Name: TIGUAN.COM
Registrar: TODAYNIC.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.todaynic.com
Referral URL: http://www.NOW.CN
Name Server: NS3.TODAYISP.COM
Name Server: NS4.TODAYISP.COM
Updated Date: 09-jan-2007
Creation Date: 13-dec-2005
Expiration Date: 13-dec-2007

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:19:34 EST <<<
Old 01-17-07, 01:14 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Derivative of the Rav4, the Santa Fe and the Kia, then there are the Jeep fender lines. A clean miss. Props on the interior, though I'd like to know how they are going to stitch and trim the interior with any other paint color (assuming the tyres will be all-black).

Good news on that TDI engine, look forward to that.

What's with the liftgate? It looks like it's going to leave a pretty high lift-over into the back end. Guess it won't be much of a hauler anyway.

Then there's that name. It may be a crunch of "Tiger" and "Leguan", but it looks too much like "Tigerguano". Poetic auf Deutsch, I assume, but really awkward in English.

Quick Reply: Concept Tiguan Makes World Debut At Los Angeles Auto Show