Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is your next car probably going to be and when do you expect to buy/lease it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 11:39 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is your next car probably going to be and when do you expect to buy/lease it?

For me it's probably going to be a 2008 BMW 335i coupe, assuming the lease specials that are out now for the 335i are still out in October 2007 when my Audi's lease runs out.

The all new CTS will be out then too, which I plan to test drive and do a side by side comparison. If the CTS is as good or almost as good for as much or less money (the fact that I've got a GM card rebate will probably help the lease on the CTS, too) than the 3-series.

I am not expecting to be impressed enough by the CTS to choose it over the 335i, but I prefer to go with american made and american sold offerings when I can - meaning if all other factors are equal in my mind, I'll go with the CTS.
And BTW I know the Caddy may be less reliable and the resale value may be worse but I'm going to be leasing either way so I don't care.

We'll probably replace my wife's 4runner with the GX whenever it gets its ground up redesign, but that'd be at least another year after the 335i, I think (if rumors I've heard are accurate).

So what about you guys?
Old 11-28-06, 11:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As soon as the IS becomes a hardtop convertible, I may consider trading my current one...
Old 11-28-06, 11:54 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really sure. I'm starting to think that I'll dump the IS250 for an E46 330i... the E90 doesn't really interest me that much.
Old 11-28-06, 11:54 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife wants the BMW X5 I want Her to get the GS 350. But it's what she wants I told her about the problems she said that's what warranties are for I think replacing the transmission has scared her.
Old 11-28-06, 12:00 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
But it's what she wants I told her about the problems she said that's what warranties are for I think replacing the transmission has scared her.
Old 11-28-06, 12:03 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

My next car will probably be a large sedan, with the LS460L being the top candidate & the Audi A8/S8 being the only other alternative that I desire in this category.
I'm not married yet, but I do have a mother that's a retired immigrant who doesn't drive (& don't want to learn at her age she said) & often rely on me for transportation.
With both my cars being coupe/convertible, while it works out fine so far, she had nagged me for the longest time that I need a large sedan so that I can take her & her friends out with everybody being comfortable. As it is now, if we need to go out with a group of people, they always have to take their own cars & she can't give anybody a ride & be comfortable for them with my cars. She sometimes ride with her friends, but she can't return the favour with the cars I have now.

So my next car would probably be the new LS, which I plan to own for a very long time (maybe til it dies), so while I like the Audi just as much, it would probably give me more problems in the long run. I would wait for the second year model LS460 though, hopefully with possibly some first year model issues resolved.

As for replacement for the G35 coupe, I don't know yet, because I would be spending enough money on cars already with the new LS.(I do have investments as a high priority too ) But a few years down the road, I would be looking at either the new G35 coupe or the BMW 335i coupe.(that's the 2 that interests me I can think of right now)

I would really want something like a 911 too, but as I've said, that would exceed what I consider to be spending too much money on cars with another expensive & non-practical car.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-28-06 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 12:13 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Possibly an IS-F, Nissan GTR, Audi RS-4, or next gen M3 coupe if it looks better than the E92. I think BMW took a step backwards with their latest design.

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 11-28-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 12:25 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

I am probably going to replace my CL55 with the new CL63. I saw the launch edition CL550 today and will have to say that the car looks much better in person than in the pictures. The interior in the launch edition was absolutely beautiful.
Old 11-28-06, 12:29 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably an M3 I have always loved that car
Old 11-28-06, 12:36 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
My next car will probably be a large sedan, with the LS460L being the top candidate & the Audi A8/S8 being the only other alternative that I desire in this category.

... which I plan to own for a very long time (maybe til it dies), so while I like the Audi just as much, it would probably give me more problems in the long run.
I think the LS460 would make a great 'long term' car for your situation but I think you'd definitely be making the right choice by waiting for the next model year (or even the year after that) before buying one. As high quality as Lexus is I don't think even their top management can be 100% sure that all this new technology will be problem free over the long-haul... and fixing a car like that can get really expensive.

Oh and don't you dare even think about the A8 or S8 again unless you would intend to trade it in before the warranty ran out (extended or otherwise). While the future of a car can never be predicted, the odds are certainly heavily against you if you are hoping to own a relatively expense-free A8/S8 for any significant mileage.

Then again you probably already know that but take it from me, somebody you know probably isn't very biased toward Lexus since I drive an Audi.
They're great cars to have fun with inside the warranty but outside - sheesh.
Old 11-28-06, 02:07 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I considering selling the IS300 for a M3 Ive always loved that car. My wife is planningon purchasing a BMW 330Ci. big step from her 97es300
Old 11-28-06, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One of the things I have learned from my own past experience and car-buying habits is to never try and forecast what car you are going to be driving several years down the road. At one time, years ago, I never thought I would own a Lexus...then I had a yellow 2001 IS300 for 5 years. I also didn't think I would buy an AWD vehicle....not only did I fall I love with the 2005-2006 Subaru Legacy / Outback ( and buy one ) but I have become a convert to AWD in general...especially Subaru's way of doing it.
So.....what will my next car be? For myself, hard to predict at this point....that probably won't be for another 3-4 years at least. And part of it depends on what is on the market then that is not offered now...and that we don't know is coming. Certainly, in my case, another AWD car will be high on the potential list...most likely another Subaru. At this point I don't see myself with any more RWD cars....their winter traction, IMO, just doesn't cut it. But I could go with a FWD product. There are several FWD vehicles that I currently like.....the Hyundai Azera and Toyota Avalon lead the list. I would also seriously consider a Lexus ES350 if they go back to the superb interior trim, build quality, and ride comfort of the previous model.....the 2007, as I have explained in a number of different posts, is a real disappointment.
I don't see myself spending more than about 35K max or so ( maybe 40 at the VERY most ). While I have a huge amount of respect for the new Acura RL, Lexus GS AWD, and LS models, their price tags are just too high for me.....I think that, for me, that is just too much to sink into a car.
Old 11-28-06, 02:28 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what happened to the M6 gene?!
Old 11-28-06, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
what happened to the M6 gene?!
LexArazzo will probably ****** up the last one at the dealership.
Old 11-28-06, 02:37 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
LexArazzo will probably ****** up the last one at the dealership.
As I have explained above, it's going to be a long time before I would spend that kind of money on a non-practical 2 door coupe. If I do change my mind, I would go for a Porsche instead (either 997S or Cayman S will do). I do like the M6, but prefer a smaller, lighter car as a fun car

Quick Reply: What is your next car probably going to be and when do you expect to buy/lease it?