Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Actress Kate Winslet's body inspired the new Jaguar model XK coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 11:51 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Actress Kate Winslet's body inspired the new Jaguar model XK coupe.

Although, she doesn't seem to be so happy with the end result.

Winslet's body inspired new Jaguar model

LONDON, Nov. 26 (UPI) -- Actress Kate Winslet says her body was the inspiration for Scottish engineer Ian Callum's design for the newest Jaguar model.

The "Titanic" star said during a recent TV appearance that Callum had used her body as a guide when creating the image for the new Jaguar XK coupe, the Times of London reported.

The 31-year-old actress said the designer saw her as "the perfect woman" -- and while he used her as his inspiration, she admits she isn't happy with the end results.

"The headlights are too small. They will have to go," Winslet said. "And it needs a bar under the dashboard with pink and blue neon lights, umbrellas and pineapples."

Callum confirmed Winslet's story, but offered no response to her critique of his work.

"Kate Winslet is my ideal woman," he told the Times. "She is naturally a very shapely woman, very British with an underlying integrity and ability. Like a car, she has got substance; she is not just a pretty face.

"So I designed the new XK body with her in mind," he added.

A picture of Kate Winslet

A picture of the new XK Coupe

To tell you the truth, I think the new XK Coupe looks like a nicer Hyundai Tiburon. Well, at least from the angle that the picture was taken.
Old 11-27-06, 11:55 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I thought it was a stretch when I heard Honda say that a cheetah was the inspiration for the 03+ Accord's look.

Now a guy saying he used a PERSON as a model of inspiration for a car??

Riiiiight. Probably just means when he needed a break he pulled up some nudie pics of her on his computer and relieved some tension.
Old 11-27-06, 11:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Something about that front end that looks very common and ordinary is what struck me when I first saw the car in the flesh. Looks too generic and mediocre.

Kinda reminds me of some GM product. The rest of the car doesn't look half bad, but I don't see the resemblance to Kate or any other human though..... Yes it has curves, but so does the headlight on my car........
Old 11-27-06, 12:26 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The modern version of the XK . . .

Photo courtesy www.jaguarusa.com

is a reflection of the theme first struck on the XK Coupe, manufactured from 1963 to the early '70's, first with the 3.8 Liter six, then with a V-12.

Photo courtesy www.highwayone.com

Note the grill opening, rear fender hipline. hood bulge, and a number of "character" lines that emphasize the classic Jaguar line of a long front fender line with that classic raised hip rendered by William Lyons became common to all postwar Jag coupes and roadsters. Pioneered on the Jaguar, this line has become a primary cue to "sportscars" all over the world - even to the present day. You will see that pinched waist at least in vestigial form on Ferraris, Corvettes, Mustangs, and a variety of current cars with sporty intentions.
Old 11-27-06, 12:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all wrong!!!

That car looks more like Halle Berry than Kate Winslet...
Old 11-27-06, 12:55 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My mom used to have the V-12 XK Coupe, I remember her taking me to school in it and my friends thinking it was a spaceship or something lol

Last edited by tuddy; 11-27-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-27-06, 01:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember after Titanic came out that Winslet said that she would never force herself to become as thin as most Hollywood stars. She said she was happy to be a little heavier and that she wouldn't starve herself and be unhealthy.

Notice how she looks now??

She's lost a good amount of weight and has done a lot of modeling shots.

I ain't complaining though. She does look good. Nice shot above.
Old 11-27-06, 02:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Winslet is a great actress & always one of my favourite She can act & has a pretty good body too I think she might have a good chance to win an Oscar next year.

I agree with her that the headlights are too small if her body is the inspiration

I don't really like the shape of the headlights either, but other than that, I think the new XK looks good.

Originally Posted by Seize
. . . "The headlights are too small. They will have to go," Winslet said.
Old 11-27-06, 02:51 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

The headlights remind me of the new Mistubishi Eclipse and the last Mercury Cougar. One passed me today and the projectors looked really strange from a distance. Like a poor DIY job with them pointing askew. I'm aware that a lot of cars look like this just due to perspective, but this one looked particularly off.

I like the car otherwise.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on this:

Originally Posted by Seize
"And it needs a bar under the dashboard with pink and blue neon lights, umbrellas and pineapples."
Bad joke or is cocaine a helluva drug?

Last edited by Lubs; 11-27-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-27-06, 03:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

So it must have dual airbags then?

Sorry.

Old 11-27-06, 04:52 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

That TV appearance was Jay Leno a week ago or so. It was a funny interview with Leno getting clowned with his affection for cars. As for Winslet being the inspiration for the new Jag....I don't quite see it. Great actress, beautiful face but I don't look to her as being "the body". And busty she isn't. So the headlights on the XK are more than adequate. And yes I love this car!! Very Aston Martin and I like it.
Old 11-27-06, 06:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the headlights were supposed to be the eyes? But then why would you put a clear bra there?
Old 11-27-06, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see any connection between the XK's looks and Kate Winslet's.

If anything, the new XK, feminine-wise, reminds me of Madonna....a big mouth that is always open yet says nothing, a lot of bling with little substance, most of the weight below the beltline, a somewhat oversized frame that slides around curves, and something that no one cares to look at stripped.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-06 at 07:21 PM.