Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

World fastest car: 0 to 60 mph in 1 second!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 04:02 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default World fastest car: 0 to 60 mph in 1 second!

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/best-ca...d-ar14709.html

It’s time to say bye bye Veyron, or Barabus TKR or Venom 1000, or any other car that was belived to be the fastest in the world! And the one what can beat them is not a new model, but a 1972 one. And this car is really fast: 0 to 60 mph in just 1 second! So question: if this is not fast then what is?
Andy Frost from England has transformed his 1972 Voxel Vectra into the world’s fastest car and it is even street legal. Powered by a 9.3 litre V8 engine the car has an amazing output of 2200 hp which rockets the car from 0 to 60 in just 1 second. The car can beat not only the Veyron, but also the McLaren F1 by a huge margin as it covers a quarter mile in 7.8 seconds where as the F1 takes 11.1 seconds.
Old 11-24-06, 04:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Wouldn't be street legal here due to noise pollution (provided the rest of the bumpers and such pass).

It's impressive, but it's still just a drag car.
Old 11-24-06, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I assume, that when you say " fastest " you mean street-legal.

Frame-rail NHRA top-fuel dragsters and funny-cars run 0-60 a lot faster than 1 second. Most of them do it in 0.5-0.8 seconds ( 0.7 is average ) and reach 300-plus MPH in just over 4 seconds.
Frankly, even with G-suits on, I don't know these drivers can stand that kind of G-force without passing out. They have to stand acceleration and braking forces that make even what fighter pilots go through pale in comparison.
Old 11-24-06, 05:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it's "only" an 8 cylinder engine.

I can't believe some guy rebuilds a heavy 1970's car in is garage that
put's million dollar exotics to shame in the speed dept.
Old 11-24-06, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4

And it's "only" an 8 cylinder engine.

I can't believe some guy rebuilds a heavy 1970's car in is garage that
put's million dollar exotics to shame in the speed dept.
The Vectra, from what I remember, is not that big or heavy a car to start with...and being a 1972 model, it has much less equipment hung on it, adding weight, than modern cars do.
I don't know this for a fact, but he probably gets that HP and torque from nitrous fuel rather than gasoline.
Old 11-24-06, 06:09 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

I mean how does it happen, one day your watching the NFL Europe on your couch and then it hits you, I'm gonna build a 2200hp Voxel! Umm......now which model do I want?...................I got!, a 72 Vectra, its perfact. Its older so no electranic bullcrap, its kinda small, and not too heavy. And then boom, you build it and get on topspeed!
Old 11-24-06, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Vectra, from what I remember, is not that big or heavy a car to start with...and being a 1972 model, it has much less equipment hung on it, adding weight, than modern cars do.
The article text was wrong, that 'was' a Vauxhall Victor. My father had it's 'big brother' the same body style Vauxhall Ventora which had an inline 6 which was a big deal in Britain way back then!

Here's a pic I posted in this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=202423&page=2

Old 11-24-06, 11:50 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I still think a lot of guys could make that claim.
Old 11-25-06, 05:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The article text was wrong, that 'was' a Vauxhall Victor. My father had it's 'big brother' the same body style Vauxhall Ventora which had an inline 6 which was a big deal in Britain way back then!

Here's a pic I posted in this thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=202423&page=2

Yes, bit...it's a good sized car by Euro standards...not necessarily ours. The front grille and hood, though smaller, strongly reminds me of mid-60's vintage Chevies.

"Vauxhall" is actually pronounced very much like "Voxel ". It is, today, one of GM's Euro / British arms. Vauxhall produces a Euro-only version of the Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky, with a grille almost identical to the Solstice.
Old 11-25-06, 10:38 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 miles per gallon.
Old 11-25-06, 11:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I really like what this guy did. Kind of reminds me of some comments I get at the track about my RX300 (why modify it to go faster), why not?
Old 11-25-06, 09:46 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexwang07
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/best-ca...d-ar14709.html

It’s time to say bye bye Veyron, or Barabus TKR or Venom 1000, or any other car that was belived to be the fastest in the world! And the one what can beat them is not a new model, but a 1972 one. And this car is really fast: 0 to 60 mph in just 1 second! So question: if this is not fast then what is?
Andy Frost from England has transformed his 1972 Voxel Vectra into the world’s fastest car and it is even street legal. Powered by a 9.3 litre V8 engine the car has an amazing output of 2200 hp which rockets the car from 0 to 60 in just 1 second. The car can beat not only the Veyron, but also the McLaren F1 by a huge margin as it covers a quarter mile in 7.8 seconds where as the F1 takes 11.1 seconds.

this car isnt street legal; which leaves you open to a laughable comparison

Top Fuel Drag Car: 0-100mph in 1 second... 0-320mph+ in 4.4 seconds. Which do you think is faster?

This car is by no means the world's fastest car. There's a guy down the street from me with a 600ci fox-body running a 400shot of spray that will run those times and is JUST as legit as that car.

Very very lame.
Old 11-25-06, 11:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I assume, that when you say " fastest " you mean street-legal.

Frame-rail NHRA top-fuel dragsters and funny-cars run 0-60 a lot faster than 1 second. Most of them do it in 0.5-0.8 seconds ( 0.7 is average ) and reach 300-plus MPH in just over 4 seconds.
Frankly, even with G-suits on, I don't know these drivers can stand that kind of G-force without passing out. They have to stand acceleration and braking forces that make even what fighter pilots go through pale in comparison.
Not quite. 4 - 5 g's is typical of Top Fuel. Fighter pilots get tested to 9 g's. I've seen videos of it in aircrew training. Ever wonder why there are no tall fighter pilots? They can't take the g's. We saw a great demo video of a guy 6' tall trying as hard as he could to make the cut. He made it to 8.8 g's and G-LOC'd, even with the suit and grunting as hard as he could. This was followed by another guy, 5' 5" with the same gear. He went to 9.02 g's and never lost anything. Distance from heart to brain is a key parameter to success. So is static blood pressure. I'm 6'2" and my normal blood pressure is very low. I'd never even come close to making the cut.

It's also interesting to note the F-16's airframe is airworthy to 16 g's in any direction. Pilots are only good to 9 g's in two directions. Any wonders why a pilotless attack aircraft is a high priority?
Old 11-25-06, 11:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
this car isnt street legal; which leaves you open to a laughable comparison

Top Fuel Drag Car: 0-100mph in 1 second... 0-320mph+ in 4.4 seconds. Which do you think is faster?

This car is by no means the world's fastest car. There's a guy down the street from me with a 600ci fox-body running a 400shot of spray that will run those times and is JUST as legit as that car.

Very very lame.
My thoughts exactly. It wouldn't take a lot to build a car just like this here, and just as "street legal." Anybody else notice his roll cage would split his head like an egg if he got in a fender bender without a helmet? Street legal? Sure...
Old 11-25-06, 11:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not quite. 4 - 5 g's is typical of Top Fuel. Fighter pilots get tested to 9 g's. I've seen videos of it in aircrew training. Ever wonder why there are no tall fighter pilots? They can't take the g's. We saw a great demo video of a guy 6' tall trying as hard as he could to make the cut. He made it to 8.8 g's and G-LOC'd, even with the suit and grunting as hard as he could. This was followed by another guy, 5' 5" with the same gear. He went to 9.02 g's and never lost anything. Distance from heart to brain is a key parameter to success. So is static blood pressure. I'm 6'2" and my normal blood pressure is very low. I'd never even come close to making the cut.

It's also interesting to note the F-16's airframe is airworthy to 16 g's in any direction. Pilots are only good to 9 g's in two directions. Any wonders why a pilotless attack aircraft is a high priority?
I am ( or was ) a pilot myself...I'm aware, at least to an extent, of what fighter jocks have to take ( and, yes, you are correct that the F-16 is hands-down the worst ), but, still, fighters don't accelerate to 60 MPH in less than 1 second, even on a carrier catapault, like top-fuel and funny cars...hard to believe it is only 4-5 G's.

Quick Reply: World fastest car: 0 to 60 mph in 1 second!