Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nationwide Oil Gel Settlement Reached Lexus/toyota

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 12:39 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nationwide Oil Gel Settlement Reached Lexus/toyota

I just received a notice of nationwide settlement reached regarding my former ES300 and oil gell issue which it had though after some debate it was repaired but the car never seemed the same afterward.

For details on your own ES300, RX300 or pertinent Toyota model I'll list the website below that is on document I received. I had to key in the site twice as first time I put two LL for gell instead of 1 L.

oilgelsettlement.com
Old 11-24-06, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyota was, for a while, covering the 3.0 engines even if there was only one documented oil change, with factory-approved oil and filters, in the last 12 months before the engine gelled up. That's what the local Toyota service managers were saying. I don't know how you feel, but, IMO, a once a year oil change, regardless of driving conditions, is clear abuse of the engine. I'm sure you had enough sense not to stretch it that far. However this was Toyota's policy....and apparantly the managers were right, because I saw the service shops replacing a significant number of them.

You mentioned your " former " ES300. Did you trade it for the ES350 you mentioned in the other thread? If so, I hope the repaired engine didn't make you lose your shirt on its trade-in value....that sometimes happens.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-06 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 05:54 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toyota was, for a while, covering the 3.0 engines even if there was only one documented oil change, with factory-approved oil and filters, in the last 12 months before the engine gelled up. That's what the local Toyota service managers were saying. I don't know how you feel, but, IMO, a once a year oil change, regardless of driving conditions, is clear abuse of the engine. I'm sure you had enough sense not to stretch it that far. However this was Toyota's policy....and apparantly the managers were right, because I saw the service shops replacing a significant number of them.

You mentioned your " former " ES300. Did you trade it for the ES350 you mentioned in the other thread? If so, I hope the repaired engine didn't make you lose your shirt on its trade-in value....that sometimes happens.
No, I traded in a perfectly good 04 MB C240 with only 6,380 miles on it on my first ES350 which had about every issue that could afflict one, then that on my second one I have now.

My ES300 had it's oil gell at just under 700 miles over reccomended change interval and there was some back and forth debate about that esp. since over 350 miles of that overage were waiting to get into service dept....LOL..

They repaired it at no charge though, but I did get a lecture to make apointment sooner but always felt it wasn't my fault at all and something with my particular engine instead only to now see it was or is a widespread issue.
Old 11-24-06, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
My ES300 had it's oil gell at just under 700 miles over reccomended change interval and there was some back and forth debate about that esp. since over 350 miles of that overage were waiting to get into service dept....LOL..

They repaired it at no charge though, but I did get a lecture to make apointment sooner but always felt it wasn't my fault at all and something with my particular engine instead only to now see it was or is a widespread issue.
I'm not necessarily an expert on this engine, but I do know that part of the problem was rather small oil cooling passages that made the oil run hotter than normal...this was done for emissions reasons, to get the engine to run hot enough to get the exhaust clean. Yet, many other engines today meet emissions without cooking the oil...go figure.

I said long ago I felt that Toyota should have considered recommending synthetic oil for this engine, although with most engines, in most climates, most of the time, regular dino oil gives almost as good protection at a cheaper price. But this engine appears to be an exception. Maybe ( ? ) Toyota figured that the people who bought and drove these cars were not generally the type of car owners who would readily fork out the extra bucks for the synthetic stuff like Corvette and Viper owners do.
Old 11-24-06, 06:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Bob,

Sorry but this is a repost and I'm closing the thread. There are already two active threads about this topic (at least)...

Please use the search feature when the topic is likely something that many people know about already - for example, I put in 'oilgelsettlement.com'

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...settlement.com
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...settlement.com