Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insurance group names 13 safest cars for '07..No U.S. brands make the cut this year.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 06:38 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance group names 13 safest cars for '07..No U.S. brands make the cut this year.

Acura RDX
Audi A4
Audi A6
Honda CR-V
Honda Pilot
Hyundai Entourage
Kia Sedona
Mercedes-Benz M-class
Saab 9-3
Subaru B9 Tribeca
Subaru Forester
Subaru Legacy
Volvo XC90

After some changes to make the requirements more stringent, no U.S. models earned The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's Top Safety Pick Award.

The winners of the awards, which are based on crash tests conducted by the Insurance Institute, were announced Tuesday.

Last year, the Ford Five Hundred large sedan and the closely related Mercury Montego made the list. Both earned Gold Top Safety Pick Awards.

The criteria for an award are more stringent than last year. Previously, there were two levels of Top Safety Pick Awards, Gold and Silver. This year, there is only one and it harder to earn than last year's Gold Top Safety Pick Award.

Gallery: Top Safety Picks--->>http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/iihs/index.html

To earn a 2007 Top Safety Pick award, a vehicle must earn the best possible rating of "Good" in front and side impact safety as well as in whiplash protection for rear impacts. Previously, a vehicle could earn a Silver Top Safety Pick Award with only an "Acceptable" rating, the second-best possible, for rear impact protection.

Also, vehicles must be available with electronic stability control, at least as an option, to earn the award.

For that reason, five vehicles - the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego, Subaru Impreza, Saab 9-2X and Honda Civic - that won the top award last year were dropped from the list this year.

Electronic stability control, or ESC, helps drivers maintain control during abrupt emergency maneuvers. According to crash statistics gathered by the Insurance Institute and the government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, ESC could prevent more than 10,000 deaths annually if it were installed on every vehicle in the U.S.

The Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego were the only vehicles from U.S. brands to make the list last year. Both Ford Motor Co. and General Motors are represented on this year's list by their respective Swedish subsidiaries, Volvo and Saab.

Japanese brands Honda and Subaru, a subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries, have the most vehicles on the list, with three each. Audi, the luxury division of Volkswagen, has two vehicles on the list and Mercedes-Benz, the luxury division of DaimlerChrysler, has one.

The Insurance Institute's front and side impact tests are different from those performed by the government.

For front impact safety, the Institute uses an "offset" test in which the vehicle strikes a barrier with just part of its front bumper, concentrating impact forces.

In its side impact test, the Institute strikes the vehicle with a moving barrier that is raised off the ground to mimic the impact of an SUV or truck.

Rear impact safety is calculated by, first, measuring various features of the seat and headrest. If those are judged to seem reasonably safe, the seat is then tested using an actual impact test.
Old 11-21-06, 06:39 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

ruh-roh... why no Toyotas?
Old 11-21-06, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Never mind Toyotas. An even bigger surprise is why no VOLVOS?
Old 11-21-06, 06:45 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
Hard to say, the Sienna (I have one) has good crash tests and stability control etc. but maybe the seat and headrest do not perform as well as some other minivan. It can be something as little as that when they are just picking 13 cars out of 200+ models it could be that Toyota had some but they would be in the 14th place or lower.
Old 11-21-06, 06:48 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never mind Toyotas. An even bigger surprise is why no VOLVOS?
was one Volvo XC90

It's odd, I must say. But then Volvo has one out of maybe 5 cars/trucks while BMW/VW/GM/Ford/Toyota/Mazda etc.. have none out of hundreds
Old 11-21-06, 07:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
was one Volvo XC90
Thanks, rai...you got me on that one. I'll have to start looking more carefully before I post things.
Old 11-21-06, 10:58 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was one Volvo XC90
The question is why is there only ONE Volvo....
Looks like subaru
How does a car with frameless windows Like the legacy get into the high safety rating? I thought they were ditched because they 'weren't safe'
Old 11-21-06, 12:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Hyundai Entourage
Kia Sedona

I can't believe it but Hyundai and Kia have gone a long way since their debut. More and more you see Hyundai being mentioned in the same sentence with Honda and Toyota
Old 11-21-06, 07:20 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
I think we already discussed this. Toyota doesn't fair well in IIHS rear seat test.
Old 11-21-06, 07:22 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

These vehicles earned good ratings in front and side crash tests. They have electronic stability control, standard or optional. They would have won 2007 TOP SAFETY PICK awards if their seat/head restraints also had earned good ratings. Instead rear crash protection is rated acceptable, marginal, or poor (Honda reports that the seat/head restraints in the only Civic model with electronic stability control wouldn’t be rated good).

Acceptable rear protection
Audi A3
BMW 3-series 4dr
Lexus IS 250/350

Marginal rear protection
Acura TL
Honda Odyssey
Lexus ES 350
Lexus GS 350
Toyota Camry
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4

Poor rear protection
Honda Accord 4dr
Infiniti M35
Nissan Quest
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Sienna
Old 11-22-06, 11:18 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
These vehicles earned good ratings in front and side crash tests. They have electronic stability control, standard or optional. They would have won 2007 TOP SAFETY PICK awards if their seat/head restraints also had earned good ratings. Instead rear crash protection is rated acceptable, marginal, or poor (Honda reports that the seat/head restraints in the only Civic model with electronic stability control wouldn’t be rated good)
thanks for that info.

I always see old movies as well as see old cars from time to time where there was no headrests at all, not to mention no seatbelts in older cars. Makes me wonder how our parets survived at all. But the death rates are going down in spite of our driving many more miles, thanks to better safety features and seatbelt use.

-----

It goes without saying but I wanted to point out the list is top cars in each category. This does not mean a car/van that is not rated as a top pick would be un-safe.

Also, this list is safest for each class, does not mean an Impreza is safer than a larger car like (for example) a 300C is even tho that car is not on the list.

Last edited by rai; 11-22-06 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-23-06, 11:16 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Looks like subaru
How does a car with frameless windows Like the legacy get into the high safety rating? I thought they were ditched because they 'weren't safe'
Because they beefed up their B-pillar with their "ring shaped reinforcement" cage.

Subaru makes very "safe" vehicles.
Old 11-23-06, 11:18 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I think we already discussed this. Toyota doesn't fair well in IIHS rear seat test.
Not the rear seat test...

Its the rear crash tests, where they are testing the effectiveness of active head restraints (to reduce whiplash etc...).
Old 11-23-06, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Looks like subaru
No. Just the opposite. Subarus get high side-impact ratings, in spite of the frameless windows, because of the extremely strong way that the B-pillars between the front and rear doors are constructed...so strong, in fact, that fire departments sometimes have trouble cutting into it with their life jaws.
Old 11-23-06, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg

I can't believe it but Hyundai and Kia have gone a long way since their debut. More and more you see Hyundai being mentioned in the same sentence with Honda and Toyota

You can't believe it?

BELIEVE it.......and I don't mean maybe.