Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Troopers squawk over ticket reward

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 06:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Troopers squawk over ticket reward

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=167519

Troopers squawk over ticket reward: Pressure on staties to snub warnings, go for cash
By Dave Wedge
Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter
Thursday, November 16, 2006 - Updated: 12:56 AM EST

State police brass are pressuring troopers to dole out speeding tickets instead of warnings in a cash-grabbing mandate cops say is the closest the department has ever come to setting quotas.
The pilot program, designed to monitor troopers’ daily activities, lays out a new system that rewards troopers if they give out a ticket as opposed to a verbal or written warning.
Under the program, troopers get no extra pay but are credited with 1.5 hours on their daily time sheet for writing a ticket, one hour for a written warning and just a half-hour for a verbal warning. All of those activities previously had counted for one hour each in accounting for their workweek and justifying overtime.

The program, which top brass concedes is a work in progress, has already been challenged by the troopers’ union lawyer.
“They have provided these guys an incentive to write tickets and a disincentive to give warnings,” said a union source. “They should have discretion.”
The program, which is in place in barracks in Western Massachusetts and the South Shore, comes as the state faces a budget crunch that has prompted Gov. Mitt Romney to make sweeping cuts to social service programs.
Troopers interviewed by the Herald said the number of citations has been down in recent years, which has led to pressure from the courts and the insurance industry, both of which profit from civil fines.
In a statement, state police Lt. Sharon Costine denied the program encourages more tickets, saying it was designed “to ensure we are deploying the most appropriate resources within the Department.”
“As the principal statewide law enforcement agency, it is important for us to be aware of what types of calls for service and assistance our Department is providing,” the statement reads. “The public’s safety is the Department’s main concern, not increasing the number of citations issued or increased fines.”
But troopers say the system is a veiled attempt at setting ticket-writing quotas, which are banned under state law. Union officials said troopers in Western Massachusetts have been told they could face sanctions for not meeting the new guidelines, including suspension or being forced to have a sergeant ride with them.
One trooper who requested anonymity blasted the policy, saying he often gives verbal warnings rather than slap a motorist with a ticket that could ultimately cost more than $600, including insurance charges.
“I absolutely refuse to write tickets unless somebody really deserves it,” the trooper said. “You think twice before you take $600 out of somebody’s pocket.”
Another trooper said the policy flies in the face of academy training where recruits are taught not to “nickle and dime” the public.
“In the troopers’ opinion, (the policy) was changed to encourage troopers to write civil infractions instead of written or verbal warnings,” he said. “Troopers have a real problem with this.”
Old 11-16-06, 09:28 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

government is always about money grabbing!

this time they are going too far!
Old 11-16-06, 09:55 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm actually glad to see some of the police officials arguing against this, however, i dont see why the people should suffer more when the government cant manage the money they already sap from us inefficiently. I hope those money grubbing pigs get whats coming to them.
Old 11-17-06, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, obey traffic laws and you probably won't have to worry about EITHER warnings OR tickets....and beat them at their own game.

The whole reason you have State Troopers in the first place is that too many people think that traffic laws don't apply to them.
Old 11-17-06, 07:35 AM
MrSilvia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, obey traffic laws and you probably won't have to worry about EITHER warnings OR tickets....and beat them at their own game.
yeah, but sometimes ***** happens.
Old 11-17-06, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
government is always about money grabbing!
this time they are going too far!
Well, Massachusetts is the patron saint of money grabbing in North America after your fine country (Canada) And their state budget crunch couldn't be due to their creating a government run health care program, hmmmm?

Massachusetts is also home to more RIDICULOUS speed limits in my experience (35 on many stretches of 4 lane divided highways, 25 on open 2 lane highways) than any state I've been in, and these limits are clearly designed to be speed traps.

It is the last state in the union I would live in.

I guess the Boston tea party is LONG forgotten.
Old 11-19-06, 12:40 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

A trooper gave me a written warning for speeding almost 20mph over the posted limit.
Old 11-19-06, 06:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
A trooper gave me a written warning for speeding almost 20mph over the posted limit.
Just wondering, what were the circumstances? Empty highway? School zone?
Old 11-19-06, 06:18 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am the lucky recipient of one of these tickets this month.

The guy was waiting over the crest of a hill. No way to see him or hit the brakes before the radar treatment.
Old 11-19-06, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I am the lucky recipient of one of these tickets this month.

The guy was waiting over the crest of a hill. No way to see him or hit the brakes before the radar treatment.
Sorry to hear that. What was the speed limit, and what kind of road / area?
Old 11-19-06, 08:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

bleh....FTP...
Old 11-19-06, 10:02 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just wondering, what were the circumstances? Empty highway? School zone?
Exiting local bar drunk, speeding through a construction zone, with childern exiting a school bus.

nah, I was travelling closer to 30mph over the limit (~95mph), this was on a farm road with little traffic and an occasional opossum/armadillo.

The Trooper was driving a Dodge Ram which I mistook for an ordinary farm vehicle.

As I got closer I noticed his light bar, and jumped on my car's brakes. He clocked me a second or so as I was passing him.

I nearly had a heart attack, thought I was going to spend the night in jail and have my license suspended. But he just casually walked up asked for my licence (not registration or insurance), gave me a warning, and told me to control my speed.

I did get a $400 ticket for parking in a handicap zone at 4am once. Campus parking had 10 additional handicap spaces with nobody parked in them. I was gone for 10min and the cop slaps me with the fine, wasn't so lucky then.
Old 11-20-06, 12:05 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Massachusetts is also home to more RIDICULOUS speed limits in my experience (35 on many stretches of 4 lane divided highways, 25 on open 2 lane highways) than any state I've been in, and these limits are clearly designed to be speed traps.
I think Hawaii is way worse (at least the big island) where the main highway is mostly 45
Old 11-20-06, 05:54 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did get a $400 ticket for parking in a handicap zone at 4am once. Campus parking had 10 additional handicap spaces with nobody parked in them. I was gone for 10min and the cop slaps me with the fine, wasn't so lucky then.
Personally i think the only time someone should be able to be busted for parking in a handicapped spot is if there are any handicap people who require it. In your case its just pure BS law, even though there were 10 other open handicap spaces, why should you get a ticket? You werent stopping anyone from getting to where they needed to go. But i guess you can say the same thing when it applies to speeding (when you do and and no-one gets hurt), but its a different situation imo.
Old 11-20-06, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Exiting local bar drunk, speeding through a construction zone, with childern exiting a school bus.
Glad it was a joke! lol

nah, I was travelling closer to 30mph over the limit (~95mph), this was on a farm road with little traffic and an occasional opossum/armadillo.

The Trooper was driving a Dodge Ram which I mistook for an ordinary farm vehicle.

As I got closer I noticed his light bar, and jumped on my car's brakes. He clocked me a second or so as I was passing him.

I nearly had a heart attack, thought I was going to spend the night in jail and have my license suspended. But he just casually walked up asked for my licence (not registration or insurance), gave me a warning, and told me to control my speed.
I asked about the circumstances because my experience in Texas (I lived there for a year a long time ago and in visits since) has been they're reasonable there. I mean, you were in the middle of nowhere it sounds like, he prob. only clocked you (since you hit brakes) at maybe 10-20 over, and he just told you to slow down, and I expect you didn't continue at 95 down that road! Don't you have a detector by the way?

Now that's f-ing unreasonable. LOL

Quick Reply: Troopers squawk over ticket reward