Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where would you put your keys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 05:20 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where would you put your keys?

Instead of continuing to hijack the "comfortable seat" post, I figure we continue the FOB key discussion here. Just wondering where everyone leaves his/her keys while driving.

I have always put keys in my left front pocket. Because of the size of the FOB, i removed several keys that I dont need. My key set is made of 2 rings, one for home and one for work. I can always detach the ring that I dont need at the moment. When i go to lunch from work, I detact the fob from its metal key and just take the black thingy. Light and nice....

I really dont like the sound of keys hitting the side of my wheel column...especially if there are many keys.... I think the keyless start is really innovative. I bet in the future, as described by other posts, biometrics will come into play. Fingerprints and eye scan are what we know right now... In japan, they havent really utilized biometrics for convenience yet, but their tiny cell phones do everything. Most stores and buses have a cell phone scanner, and people just use their phone to pay stuff like a credit card. I bet you they can start their cars with their cell phones too. Bad thing is what if you lose the phone....your life is over.
Old 11-14-06, 06:19 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good call on starting a new thread. Like you, I pull out the metal key and carry around just the plastic fob to save weight.

My work uses electronic badges and keypads for access so I don't have any work keys. Desk locks are so easily picked I don't use 'em. My house keys stay at home. The garage door opener grants access and in the unlikely event that the power is out, well, my home isn't all that secure anyway.

I don't even own a wallet. My license, credit card, and some cash go right into my back pocket, the Lexus fob in my front right pocket, and sometimes a digital voice recorder in my other front pocket.

I travel pretty light.
Old 11-14-06, 08:58 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always keep my key fob in one of my pants pockets and never take it out. This is one of my most favorite inventions EVER.
Old 11-14-06, 09:52 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually keep the fob in my pocket unless I am going to be ion the car for more than an hour. Then I use the small utility storage to the left of the steering wheel. Perfect size for the cell phone and the key fob.
Old 11-14-06, 10:00 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Bad thing is what if you lose the phone....your life is over.
Unless it's REG VAC time, then it's a great time to lose your phone... If you BT with your car, why not your computer? I synch everytime I walk in the house, most of the time never know it's happening. Lose the phone, buy another (just like a fob), pair it with the PC and nothing is lost... Sucks though someone's got a phone with all your info/pictures/etc. on it.

Anyway... I couldn't get the keyless option with the SE, it was only on the XLE and Hybrid, although I wanted it... In previous years I only carried a key and a fob, now I carry only a key with a fob built in... Homlinked the car with the garage door, so I never need additional keys, though I keep a set in the car 'just in case.' Office keys and the such are only carried when going to the office and then I usually have a bag, so they stay in there... In all, I think the keyless vs. fob-in-key deal is a wash for me... I never use the outside locks, only carry a single key with fob built in and so what, I have to exert a little energy to twist a lock when I get in... But I don't need to hit the brake pedal before pushing a button?
Old 11-15-06, 05:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My keys are attached to the FOB, it in turn is placed in what I have come to know as the FOB rest or FOB nest...<G>.. Amazingly the FOB rest or FOB nest can double as a cupholder.

I do not view the FOB as a key at all, especially since we have keyless entry systems.

What next? When they go to fingerprint scan or retinal scan will they be advertised as FOBless entry systems? LOL
Old 11-15-06, 07:14 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the nav system, I am surprised Lexus does not make you push a button labeled "I AGREE" after you push the start button.
Old 11-15-06, 07:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Just like the nav system, I am surprised Lexus does not make you push a button labeled "I AGREE" after you push the start button.
Funny... How about another "I agree" before putting the car in gear...
Old 11-15-06, 07:25 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the keys in my pocket but I now never have the keys ready when I go to the Lincoln LS instead. So when I touch the handle of the LS and nothing happens, its like, oh no, back to American technology. But..... no noises upon cold engine start up, even after 60,000 miles on the LS.
Old 11-15-06, 11:59 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jeffofla
I always keep my key fob in one of my pants pockets and never take it out.
Never????? So I take it those pants never get washed???
Old 11-15-06, 12:03 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onsknht
...But I don't need to hit the brake pedal before pushing a button?
Not that big an impediment at all, considering that in many modern vehicles w/ auto trannies, you have to press the brake pedal in order for the shift lock mechanism to release so that you can shift out of Park...
Old 11-15-06, 12:06 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Funny... How about another "I agree" before putting the car in gear...
Well, there is an "I Agree" of sorts when you sign the finance contract (for those of us who don't have viable means to purchase the vehicle outright on the spot) for your vehicle...
Old 11-15-06, 12:30 PM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

AND, why do people carry keys?
Old 11-16-06, 01:51 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Thread has nothing specific to do with the ES. Moving it to Car Chat.