Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did anyone watch Fox News 2day? One of the Big 3 to kick the bucket soon..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Did anyone watch Fox News 2day? One of the Big 3 to kick the bucket soon..

Wow, it must be getting to be a big deal. Basically they had 4 experts and they ALL said one of the big 3 is going to kick the bucket in the near future.

The funny part was the PRO-American expert was asked by the PRO-competiton expert did he drive an American car and he did not answer

Also, Detroit's mayor was interviewed and said that the Government needs to help.

The pro-competiton expert said how the imports build tons of their vehicles here, thus becoming American themselves.

Old 11-14-06, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, this is not the 1960's.....and Detroit's glory days...... any more.
We have a truly global industry today where everybody either owns each other or has a share in it. So the term " Big Three " means little or nothing.
Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Studebaker, Checker, and American Motors.......five significant American names from that decade.....don't even exist any more.
Old 11-14-06, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Also, Detroit's mayor was interviewed and said that the Government needs to help.
The government HELP ?

It was the Federal Government, with the emissions and CAFE regulations in the late 60's and early 70's, that started the whole long decline of Detroit and American-designed and built vehicles in the FIRST place. That is why full-size, 4-door trucks and SUV's became popular, especially for big families and towing........the government regs essentially prevented the further production of big station wagons and TRUE full-size sedans, so the somewhat less-regulated SUV's took their place. The American manufacturers, for decades, lasting well into the 90's, had to put so much of their money into other things on the car that the quality of materials and assembly also plummeted drastically. Saturn, in the 1990's, was the only real bright spot.

Believe me, guys......I lived through this and watched it wth great detail....as the nice machines of the 1960's, with some exceptions like the advances in electronic ignition, turned, in the 1970's and 80's, into rolling pieces of s * * t.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-14-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 04:26 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it... some companies like Ford are starting to improve a little... but the product coming out these days is still no where near exciting as it should be from any of the Big 3. It seems like every other car coming out of detroit is bound to become resident of a Hertz or Avis fleet... and maybe home in garages of 2-3 buyers who's biggest criteria is that the car is shiny.

For example, why doesn't ford sell the wildly popular Mondeo here?

I must give credit to GM... while i still think exteriors are bland, they are making huge process on interiors.

I vote on Chrysler being the first one if rumors are true and Daimler drops them...
Old 11-14-06, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, it must be getting to be a big deal. Basically they had 4 experts and they ALL said one of the big 3 is going to kick the bucket in the near future.

The funny part was the PRO-American expert was asked by the PRO-competiton expert did he drive an American car and he did not answer

The pro-competiton expert said how the imports build tons of their vehicles here, thus becoming American themselves.
interesting, I didnt think any of the big 3 would be kicking the bucket anytime soon....
Old 11-14-06, 05:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

and I dont think they will... they just want to raise the alarm...

But the funny thing is how can government help big3 when non-american car companies are actually investing in US and creating new jobs, while big3 aredoing exact opposite...
Old 11-14-06, 06:44 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

the Big 3 heads met w/ the president today...speculation was that they wanted to push for universal health care so that it would offload their healthcare burden on the aging auto workers. They reported that healthcare costs them more than it does steel!!!!

I for one do not want my tax dollars going to help an industry that did it to themselves and are not asking for a handout eff that! Build good cars and quit blaming others for your mess.
Old 11-15-06, 11:30 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

forget a government bail out, the people have already spoken, the majority don't want the junk they put out.

My guess is FORD will die first. They have the worst product, GM will last the longest.
Old 11-15-06, 11:37 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Hmmm, GM is in worst shape out of the big 3. I am sure if any are going it would be GM. And personally Ford makes some pretty nice cars these days. GM on the other hand...they just started but not soon enough.
Old 11-15-06, 01:06 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Saw a bit a while ago where the new Ford CEO drives a LS430 b/c he says he likes the best.

Well many cars are built in the US like my new Legacy. I believe some (many) US cars like the Accord are even being exported to Japan etc...

Last edited by rai; 11-15-06 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 01:24 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say Ford goes first.
Lincoln is dying.
Mercury is dying.
Old 11-15-06, 02:07 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I say Ford goes first.
Lincoln is dying.
Mercury is dying.
I agree. I think they are in the worst shape since they keep
losing market share.
Old 11-15-06, 07:16 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I say Ford goes first.
Lincoln is dying.
Mercury is dying.
They seem to be doing ok in Europe, aren't they?
Old 11-15-06, 07:31 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

Noo! How will I be able to get a California Mustang later??
Old 11-15-06, 08:23 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

to me it seems it's a 50's american idea that's killing them: UNIONS

Quick Reply: Did anyone watch Fox News 2day? One of the Big 3 to kick the bucket soon..