Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What kind of car nut are you?
My dad was a car nut and I followed suit
35.71%
I am a first generation car nut in my family, no one but me.
53.57%
My family as a whole are car nuts. We just love cars
8.93%
I still am not a car nut, I am on the forum but its not that serious
7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Was your dad or mom a "car nut"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-06, 12:17 PM
LexFather

Question Was your dad or mom a "car nut"?

Funny but since I can remember going to my first auto show in NY, I've been nuts over cars. Even funnier, we didn't have a car in NY, public transportation took care of us just fine.

Didn't help that Transformers were autos that turned into robots..timing was perfect.

Being an 80s baby, KITT was on time as well...

Even as we got cars as we moved down south, my folks were not and still are not car nuts. My father never "had to have" a car, he thinks Porsche's are ugly and thought Mercedes Benz was the end of all things auto until I bought a Lexus.

Looking at my family as a whole, no one is an auto nut but me. No uncles, no cousins outside my one girl cousin I posted about before here...

So what about you? Are you a first generation car nut? Does it run in the family? Your dad a nut? Maybe a family business made you love cars...

Old 11-11-06, 12:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great topic for a thread

Started with my grandfather. He taught me a lot about cars. As a kid with my first car at 15 years old, grandad wouldn't let me take the car to the shop for repairs. He said, fix it yourself. He and I would fix whatever was wrong. He taught me to diagnose by sound, feel and common sense.
My mother taught me about caring for a car. Washing and cleaning...she wouldn't let me stop until everything was done...the door jams, the creases, the trunk/bumper crease, waxing, the wheels....everything had to be inspected before she gave it the thumbs up. The 280ZX my mom had helped to stoke the fire for cars I have, too.
My dad taught me to dream about cars. His belief was you should work hard and enjoy life. If cars are your thing, get the best. He tried for years to talk me into buying a Porsche. He said that car would hold it's value for many many years. He told me to stay at home and use all my paycheck on the car if necessary. He said you can stay here for free just pay your car payment. I was taught to be responsible so I didn't take him up on the offer but I wish I had.
I have a cousin that had a SuperBee and he is a mechanic. He bored and stroked out that engine until it produced amazing power. He raced it every weekend and drove it to work during the week. We loved that car.

Cars are in my blood...my family's blood, too.
Old 11-11-06, 08:48 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad was never a car nut. But my grandfather was, and my uncle is. We're serial car nuts.
Old 11-11-06, 09:04 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I liked Mercedes and Mercedes only growing up, given my father's belief that they are the pinnacle of prestige, safety, and all things car. After I met a friend who was a car nut, only then was I turned to the dark side. I always say I learned more about cars in med school than about medicine...
Old 11-11-06, 09:15 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I'm the only car nut in my family, sometimes I feel I don't quite fit in.

My parents are nuts about marriage, though I can't quite understand that.
Old 11-11-06, 09:19 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My father lusted for a Mustang CJ in the early 70's. He was a mechanic before he came to the US and so every weekend, we would be under the hood of the Caddy, then Lincoln, then LS, then MB S500. My penchant for tinkering and fixing and cars can all be attributed to him.
Old 11-11-06, 09:44 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

My dad was a car nut.... and its passed onto me
Old 11-11-06, 09:49 PM
okiaristo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
My dad was a car nut.... and its passed onto me
ditto... i remember doing my first solo tranny fliud/filter change @ 12 in the driveway... that was after brakes at 10.. i love being able to fix/upgrade a car/truck/tractor/bobcat/trailer etc... <---- heavy equipment operator by trade
Old 11-11-06, 10:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

My whole family.

My father, his brother, my cousins here and my uncle, relatives in California, Illinois and Ohio. Always in drag racing where it was the 1950s on the street playing Chicken or now with RX300 at the track (people down here have no clue how RX300s simply are not ever raced at a track).
Old 11-11-06, 11:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

My dad built racecars from the time I was 5. He taught me to fetch wrenches about the same time. I grew up around racecars and racing, and my dad still builds circle track cars. Were both bike nuts too.
Old 11-12-06, 01:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

first and only, but im slowly trying to turn my dad
Old 11-12-06, 02:42 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dad was a car/bike nut before I was born. He was into kart racing and bike racing from his 20's to 40's. Later he co-founded CTAF (Chinese Taipei Automobile Federation, now called CTAA for CTA-Association) in Taiwan in the early 90s. It was the only association at the time to concentrate on motorsports and any legal automotive racing events. CTAF brought in touring car racing and other forms of motorsports into Taiwan. Since I was in elementary school I would frequently go to their office and hang out. So I had knowledge of racing when I was like 8 years old.

Today my dad is still very enthusiastic about cars. He has over 200 die-cast 1:18 scaled models, along with many other 1:43 scale ones and of course a few 1:8 scale Ferraris (I think I've seen a F40 and a Testarossa.) He also mods his car too, and he never owned a sedan for himself. When I was born he had a Volvo coupe I don't know which model. Later he imported the first Honda Prelude in Taiwan (no Preludes imported back then, I think 1988 or 1989?) and got BBS wheels and other mods too. Now he has full Lorinser kit and AMG rims on his 95' Mercedes 300CE coupe, as well as AMG kit and Carlsson 2/5 wheels on his 97' SL500 on Eibach/Bilstein suspension.

So I never had any opposition from him when it comes to mods. Almost every car in my family has mods even my mom's E320.
Old 11-12-06, 06:27 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

First Gen.

My parents just really found out how deep into cars I am. They dont know much about them.

I also took a Drifting video over to their house so they'd understand what it was all about.....They thought it was kinda cool.

....then showed them my Drifting demo tape. They almost died when they figured out it was me when the camera zoomed in. I dont think they care for it now

One cool thing is that my Dad took an basic autoshop class (oil change,tire changing,etc) after I fixed his car about 2 years ago. Not sure if it was 'pride' or if he really wanted to learn. Either way, its a good thing
Old 11-12-06, 08:42 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I liked Mercedes and Mercedes only growing up, given my father's belief that they are the pinnacle of prestige, safety, and all things car.
I'm sort of similar, my father and grandfather had MB's back in the 80's when I was a little guy. Remember that back then Benz and Bimmer "ruled the roost" in that there was no Lexus, Infiniti, etc and even Acura only had one small Legend with a 2.5L motor!

My dad was a car guy, he used to sit me at the window at 4-5years old and make me name the cars that went by! He does always tell me that I "took it somewhere else" with all the modding and such. He just sits there and looks at my car and shakes his head.

Also back in those days there were no magazines for imported cars so we were stuck with Car & Driver / Road&Track) Automobile etc. I can still remember spec sheets from 1987 model cars!
Old 11-12-06, 03:23 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Neither of my parents were car-nuts but my pops had an old-school Chevy Nova.

Quick Reply: Was your dad or mom a "car nut"?