Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what do you guys think of older 95 corvettes 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 03:16 PM
fatboyq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys think of older 95 corvettes 6 speed

I have a 95 sc400 and of my friends dad is selling a 95 6 speed polo green vette, nice condition etc. targa top, bose, leather, adjustable suspension etc. it has around 75k on it, he is asking a fair price. Would you do it? I just got the SC a while ago so it is bad timing as Im out of cash. I bet it would be a fun summer car.
Old 11-07-06, 04:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that thing still got a lot of torque...
bt I never like the interior.... well, not even the new ones...

I would stick with the Sc4.... I never regret about any of my Scs.. ( I had 5 in total)
Old 11-07-06, 05:25 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best looking corvette ever.
Old 11-07-06, 05:40 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

i dont know man, Sc is a nice car, but that corvette still has plenty of go go juice left in it I bet. Plus those things can hold a value. I see 89's go for around 10k
Old 11-07-06, 10:13 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt

its slow, rides pretty crappy, and they have plenty of problems. Read one of many books on how MUCH the vette improved from the C4 to the C5.
Old 11-08-06, 01:57 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

How safe are those, and vettes in general anyway, I can't seem to find any crash test data for them.
Old 11-08-06, 02:19 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I owned a C4 last year and I sold it because it was a rattle trap by design. ALL (read: EVERY) C4 LEAKS around the rubber seals and the interior get's wet. The seals are $650 to replace and they only last two or 3 yrs before they start to show signs of age again.

The 6 speed 95's are pretty quick rides for the money and can be modded out the wazoo to produce amazing power. Parts are more expensive for Vettes than they are for Lexus when it comes to maintenance issues (like the seals). The '92's were the year to watch out for. Big problems.

They absolutely SUCK in the rain. People with bigger ***** than Saddam refuse to drive their C4's in the rain. They "feel" like they have a grip then all of a sudden the azz comes right out from under you. False sense of security.

All the plastic inside creaks when the body flex's (and it will flex badly over terrain). The door panels and wiring + switches within are complete crap and will break on you at random times, usually when you need them the most.

If I could buy a Vette dirt cheap just for acting crazy in parking lots I'd do it, but as an investment it's a lost cause because they are high maintenance.

Overall the squeaks and rattles drove me nuts, the quality was **** poor, and there were plenty of cars out there for the same money that didn't come with the high price of repairs and were of much better quality.

.............. so I sold it and haven't thought twice about it since.

Old 11-08-06, 05:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

C4 is no comparison to the C5 and C6 platform Vettes. LT1 motors are raspy and crappy to me and are prone to oil leaks, the C4 body has to many creaks in it, and the car itself does not handle like the newer Vettes. I would pass.
Old 11-08-06, 06:18 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love Corvettes, but I'd stay away from that one unless you plan on dropping money into it. As others have said - they are rattle traps, especially when compared to an SC. The mileage isn't bad, but that means nothing major has probably been repaired or replaced - YET. It'd probably nickel and dime you to death. And because it's a Corvette, parts are going to be more expensive. (just noticed this was also mentioned)

I like the look of the C4 a lot, but just getting in and out of it is a chore with that 5 inch wide door sill that's taller than the seat!
Old 11-08-06, 08:41 AM
fatboyq
Rookie

I love my SC however the power and the raw feeling of a sports car is not there. The vette Im looking at has a crap load of new maintaince done to it. I would not sell the SC to replace it with the c4 I was thinking of picking it up as a summer toy with the fall/winter pricing.

$7500
77k miles
new clutch, flywheel, to bearing redline oil in tranny and rear end
new opti spark and water pump
new seals
new oil pan gasket, rear main seal and front seal
new leather seats
new carpet
new shocks bilstein
new brembo brakes
SS brake lines
new G force ta tires
new plugs, wires, etc
new catback exhaust

the SC is solid at 140mph, and comfy so I will keep it as a DD and I have a montero sport for the winter and maybe the vette for the summer?

I love the C5 however they are still around 17-23k for a decent one. 15k will get you a high milage one like 120k etc.
Old 11-08-06, 08:49 AM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Heh....thats funny, my pops just sold his '95 6 speed Polo Green convertible with tan top and leather with 50k miles, went for 16K if I can remember correctly.
He didn't have too many issues, overall reliability was decent. He did have the engine seals issue though. It did have its share of rattles, but it was very high on the fun factor. It was hard to give up for him.
I haven't been in a C5 so I don't know how the C4 compares.
Old 11-08-06, 11:58 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The C4 vettes are probably the worst vettes ever. The only C4 i'd get would be the ZR1 32 valve DOHC V8 engine developed by Lotus. Probably the most advance (modern) vette engine too.
Old 11-08-06, 12:49 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The C4 vettes are probably the worst vettes ever. The only C4 i'd get would be the ZR1 32 valve DOHC V8 engine developed by Lotus. Probably the most advance (modern) vette engine too.
Lotus? i thought it was developed by some Aqua Marine company that makes engines for boats
Old 11-08-06, 02:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...of_the_Hill.29

I remember in some road and track magazine, it also says the engine was developed by lotus
Old 11-08-06, 03:08 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lotus? i thought it was developed by some Aqua Marine company that makes engines for boats
Originally Posted by GSteg
Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...of_the_Hill.29

I remember in some road and track magazine, it also says the engine was developed by lotus
The wiki article says Lotus designed, but Mercury Marine assembled the engines.

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of older 95 corvettes 6 speed