Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi considering diesel option for R8

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 12:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Audi considering diesel option for R8

Audi considering diesel option for R8

Audi could offer a diesel version of its new R8 sports car in the future, according to Wolfgang Hatz, Audi's executive director of powertrain development. Hatz made the comments in the latest issue of Italy's Quattroruote magazine.

Hatz said Audi hopes to improve consumer perception of its diesels by further reducing noisiness of the engines. He said he also hopes Audi will offer a diesel engine in the R8 sports car. The obvious choice would be the V12 TDI motor first used in the R10 race car, and now available in the Audi Q7. The engine produces 500 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/11/...option-for-r8/
Old 11-06-06, 12:56 PM
LexFather

Do It Do It Do It Do It!!!

Old 11-06-06, 01:56 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually when I first heard the R8 was coming out and had its roots in their very successful TDI racecar I honestly assumed it was going to come out with some detuned varient of the turbo diesel in their race car, and was very surprised when I only saw mention of a gasoline motor.

This is good news.
Old 11-06-06, 05:24 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah when i first heard about R8, i was expecting the R10's engine too

BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-06, 05:33 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do It Do It Do It Do It!!!
Clarkson doesn't think a lot of VW's big diesel attached to a performance chassis -

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...2329_1,00.html

The Volkswagen Phaeton. The dullest way on earth of doing 155mph.

.... But I didn’t go for the W12, which is one of my 10 favourite cars. I tried the diesel.

So you climb into this exquisitely finished car, adjust the supremely comfortable seat, set the air-conditioning just so, and sit back to admire the eye-scorching simplicity of the controls. And then you turn the key. You expect the softest of purrs. But what you get is the sound of a Third World building site. What’s more, to make this jolly big car move, you have to give the accelerator pedal a fairly hefty shove. The result is a car that feels as lively as a fire station. This engine is fine in the off-road Toe Rag. But is emphatically not fine in the Phaeton.
- and I don't either.

M.
Old 11-06-06, 06:13 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Clarkson doesn't think a lot of VW's big diesel attached to a performance chassis -

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...2329_1,00.html

- and I don't either.

M.
Hmmm... is the diesel used in the Phaeton the same as will be used in the R8?

A noisy and rough motor is a bad match for an otherwise quiet and refined car like the Phaeton - but in something like the R8? Man have you ever ridden in an exotic car before? Their engines are noisy and radical... and people like them that way!

Now maybe he also meant it was sluggish again is this the R10's diesel design or the Phaeton's diesel design? Because the R10 is really shaking up the racing scene, which would seem to imply that the performance of its motor is impressive enough.
Old 11-06-06, 06:21 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Hmmm... is the diesel used in the Phaeton the same as will be used in the R8?

Now maybe he also meant it was sluggish again is this the R10's diesel design or the Phaeton's diesel design? Because the R10 is really shaking up the racing scene, which would seem to imply that the performance of its motor is impressive enough.
I sure hope it's the racing motor and not the 5.0L V10 from the Touareg/Phaeton.

We'll see I guess. Good call.

But either way - isn't the diesel fuel available in the US notoriously low-quality? Will the thing even turn over on the trucker crude diesel we have?

M.