Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese Cars In America

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 07:52 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Japanese Cars In America

I saw on story on ESPN about Toyota stepping into the NASCAR arena next racing season. Most of the people interviewed were very negative about it. Also, some of those same people are employees of America's automotive companies AND UAW union members. One guy said that Toyota doesn't belong in NASCAR because it's the "Great American Race" thus meaning only Dodge, Chevy, and Ford only race. We all know that American car companies are lagging behind for some time now. I'm somewhat into NASCAR and have owned three American cars before the GS. I had a '01 Dodge Intrepid before the GS and besides an issue with the rack and pinion (which was a common problem for the model year) it was all good until a deer made me total the car. My dad has always owned American cars throughout but last year settled for a Camry. He's a DIY'er and is not getting younger so reliabilty came into mind when deciding on a car. I "think" ( ) American cars have gotten better but there's probably a lot of catching up to do still. I chose to purchase a GS for it's looks and for reliabilty too. Unless I fall on some hard times, I can't see myself going back to sub-luxury yet alone a sub-luxury American car.
Old 11-05-06, 07:59 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tend to agree but... the chrysler 300c srt-8 i drive by at the local dealer on the way to work every day is tempting
Old 11-05-06, 05:31 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I'm looking forward to seeing Toyota in NASCAR. They have done well in the truck series and should be doing well in NASCAR after a couple years of "tweaking it". I never did put much stock into which brand of car wins NASCAR, what's under that sheet metal is all custom fabricated by the teams.
Old 11-06-06, 06:10 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in that series (i thnk it was outside the lines) what was funny, even with all the bashing that toyota got for coming into nascar--"Japanese firms dont belong", it was that the camry is the only car that is actually made in america...where the chevy and dodge were built in canada and the ford in mexico (some order like that)
Old 11-06-06, 08:37 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GWELEX
I'm looking forward to seeing Toyota in NASCAR. They have done well in the truck series and should be doing well in NASCAR after a couple years of "tweaking it". I never did put much stock into which brand of car wins NASCAR, what's under that sheet metal is all custom fabricated by the teams.
This might actually make me start watching some races.

The funny part is that so many people actually DO put stock into the brand of car their favorite driver drives...so much so that they will go out and buy that same brand of vehicle for themselves.

Can you imagine the window stickers that are gonna be on people's cars now? A picture of a boy wearing a Ford shirt peeing on a Toyota emblem...LOL
Old 11-06-06, 08:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
I'm looking forward to seeing Toyota in NASCAR. They have done well in the truck series and should be doing well in NASCAR after a couple years of "tweaking it"...
I was going to make this exact point. Remember when Japanese companies had no business making compact pick-up trucks? Enter Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, and Japanese pick-ups are now the best compacts. Remember when Japanese companies had no business making full-size pick-ups? Again, Toyota and Nissan took care of that problem, too. I think with NASCAR becoming more of a mainstream sport, this won't be nearly as much of a problem as it would have been, say, 10 years ago.

Javier
Old 11-06-06, 09:21 AM
LexFather

Moved here.........

Old 11-06-06, 09:58 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

sounds like the Big 3 are scared. They should be.

Why don't they join F1? Oh yea, they're broke cause they can't build cars Americans want.
Old 11-06-06, 10:26 AM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Hmm, I'm more interested to see Montoya in NASCAR than Toyota in NASCAR. There are so many damn rules in that series that Toyota will not be any more or any less competitive than the other automakers. I get a really good laugh out of people who put NASCAR emblems on their car because it shares a nameplate with the templated cars.

Why don't the Big 3 join F1? How many Americans watch F1? How many of their core market watch F1? Not so shocking results: not many, and it wouldnt affect their revenue by a remotely significant amount, just their costs.

The Big 3 have always made cars Americans wanted, just not what they needed

Last edited by okcfunky; 11-06-06 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-06-06, 10:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
Oh yea, they're broke cause they can't build cars Americans want.
Where have you been the last 4 years? Every other vehicle on the road is an American SUV. Exactly what Americans wanted. The road is also filled with American pickup trucks, which have been selling like hotcakes for the past 80+ years. The rental companies also love to gobble up Big 3 passenger cars, which are exactly what they want.

One of the biggest problems with the American car companies, from what I've learned, is the existing pension obligations. All the good ole' boys retiring, living high off the Big 3 hog.
Old 11-06-06, 01:05 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okcfunky
Hmm, I'm more interested to see Montoya in NASCAR than Toyota in NASCAR. There are so many damn rules in that series that Toyota will not be any more or any less competitive than the other automakers. I get a really good laugh out of people who put NASCAR emblems on their car because it shares a nameplate with the templated cars.

Why don't the Big 3 join F1? How many Americans watch F1? How many of their core market watch F1? Not so shocking results: not many, and it wouldnt affect their revenue by a remotely significant amount, just their costs.
for americans a race driving with a right turn is a challenge for them!!!
Old 11-06-06, 01:08 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Where have you been the last 4 years? Every other vehicle on the road is an American SUV. Exactly what Americans wanted. The road is also filled with American pickup trucks, which have been selling like hotcakes for the past 80+ years. The rental companies also love to gobble up Big 3 passenger cars, which are exactly what they want.

One of the biggest problems with the American car companies, from what I've learned, is the existing pension obligations. All the good ole' boys retiring, living high off the Big 3 hog.
as with most major corporations established before the 90's
Old 11-06-06, 01:14 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okcfunky

i don't recall anyone wanting a pontiac aztek!
Old 11-06-06, 01:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Now we'll be able to discuss Ford-Chevy-Toyota and apple pie vs. sushi. Hot dogs and how a Japanese boy ate more on July 4'th than the boys here.
Old 11-06-06, 01:43 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allowing Toyota to race in NASCAR is probably the best thing NASCAR has done yet - I sparks a HUGE amount of interest (including me). I'll bet they will have record TV audiences when they televise their race events.
The people that are displeased that Toyota is in NASCAR is probably scared that a company that initially built little "econoboxs" could potentially beat them. Their probably old-school/die hard Chevy/Ford/Dodge and will never buy a import (let alone Toyota) car, regardless to how much some of their cars SUCK.
Good Job NASCAR

Quick Reply: Japanese Cars In America