Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Killer Chrome Paint!! Does it work??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 03:53 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killer Chrome Paint!! Does it work??

Have anyone try using Killer Chrome paints, yet??
Does it really make things look like it's chromed??
I want get the OEM front grill chromed on my 3GS...
Thinking about trying this paint... if custom chroming cost too much...

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/kil...e_prodinfo.htm

Btw, this is the look I'm trying to get on my car. NOT an examble of Killer Chrome product!!

Last edited by hsk73; 11-04-06 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 11-04-06, 04:39 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done alot of reserch into this subject. To start i do reserch and development for a paint company. When I first heard of this stuff i was like cool, new project for my lunch breaks. I got all the stuff to put together a couple diffrent formulas and it was pretty amazing. I was shocked on how it turned out. Theres just a few tricks that i learned from the tech that sells the alumminum that caused the chrome look. If you use a product, follow instructions exactly as they say. I learned that the more the better does not work in this case. I tested this on some metal and on glass. id be damned if the glass didnt look like a mirror after i sprayed it. But it was semi transparent, so i tried to put a thicker coat on it and it went dark and dull. Thats where the tech came into play. he said you want a very thin coat of the chrome, then use a compatable clear to go over it. The smaples on the metal panels looked good but not chrome. What i found out is the chrome paint actually coates the surface and follows the profile of the surface, which makes it not reflective. So the prep is very inportant. The smother and the surface the more chrome like it is. then you clear coat over it with the compatable clear. In all the reading i did online, you can use a black or white under coat before the chrome paint. They give it a diffrent effect. Black will look deeper and the white will be brighter. Theres even a company that painted an entire car chrome. Looked cool, but a bit too much.

I say if your up to it, go for it. Id get an extra grill toplay with or pratice on other stuff first cause it is a bit tricky to come out right. Most shops that do this have special equipment to get the really good results. Buy you can do a decent job at home.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 11-04-06, 04:46 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRUE CHROME KIT contains all the recommended components necessary to achieve best results.

Each Kit includes:
1 Killer Chrome (400 ml)
2 Killer Speed Clear (400 ml)
1 Killer Stylin' Black Basecoat (400 ml)
1 Polishing Cloth

Price: $149.99