Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Update: 2007 Prius Touring Edition

Old 11-01-06, 04:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Update: 2007 Prius Touring Edition

This may be a partial repost, as the 2007 Prius Touring Edition has already been mentioned in earlier CAR CHAT posts, but Toyota apparantly has just released some new infomation on this car, and I thought I'd post it.

http://www.toyota.com/movingforward/...?url=html_text

To me, a "Touring " edition with larger wheels and tires somewhat defeats the very purpose of the car......high gas mileage and low pollution, at least to some extent, because, obviously, all else equal, larger, wider tires increase rolling friction and make the engine work harder, using more gas when in the gas-engine mode and when recharging the batteries. However, it may allow for more regerative braking energy as well, since the wider tires help with braking. This will help keep the batteries charged.

It is also significant that one of the chief complaints on the standard Prius is poor handling from the narrow, relatively high-profile, low-rolling resistance tires....perhaps creating a potential market for this model.
Old 11-01-06, 06:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This may be a partial repost, as the 2007 Prius Touring Edition has already been mentioned in earlier CAR CHAT posts, but Toyota apparantly has just released some new infomation on this car, and I thought I'd post it.

To me, a "Touring " edition with larger wheels and tires somewhat defeats the very purpose of the car......high gas mileage and low pollution, at least to some extent, because, obviously, all else equal, larger, wider tires increase rolling friction and make the engine work harder, using more gas when in the gas-engine mode and when recharging the batteries. However, it may allow for more regerative braking energy as well, since the wider tires help with braking. This will help keep the batteries charged.

It is also significant that one of the chief complaints on the standard Prius is poor handling from the narrow, relatively high-profile, low-rolling resistance tires....perhaps creating a potential market for this model.
thats probably same setup we have as standard in Europe... and its unexpectedly fast. Car constantly does more in curves than what you expect, heh. Still not an sports car, but I think it is pretty decent compromise for comfy vehicle that isnt afraid of the curves. Its a bit better than Corolla for example, probably due to bigger wheelbase.

Some journalists that I spoke to also said it was quicker than what you think when you push it, so I guess thats what was needed.

Last edited by spwolf; 11-01-06 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-01-06, 12:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it's basically the equivalent of the "G Touring" in Japan or the European versions - P195/55R16s, stiffer springs and an extended rear spoiler (Type B). That's about it. In Japan, the 15" model gets roughly 35km/L. I believe they said the owners of 16" rims get about 32km/L.

We don't get the Touring Edition in Canada.
Old 11-01-06, 01:00 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think hybrids are a waste of time, finances, and effort.
Old 11-01-06, 01:52 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mavericck
I think hybrids are a waste of time, finances, and effort.
I totally agree. Personally, I think that taking the bus to work every day makes loads more sense than buying a hybrid, when your primary concern is to save on gas. The bus is probably a more engaging "drive" than the Prius anyhow.
Old 11-01-06, 01:58 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
I totally agree. Personally, I think that taking the bus to work every day makes loads more sense than buying a hybrid, when your primary concern is to save on gas. The bus is probably a more engaging "drive" than the Prius anyhow.
Forget the bus. My moped gets something like 70-80 MPG, and does 50+ MPH. Can't go on the freeway, but my route to work doesn't involve the freeway, or highway. Takes about 10 minutes to get to work, cost about $5.00 a week, no insurance or registration needed, and I can park it pretty much anywhere
Old 11-01-06, 05:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
lol... so it is either V12 or bus, nothing in between? Thats quite hilarious.
Old 11-01-06, 07:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
I'm going to have to agree here.

The 2006 RX 400h luxury hybrid SUV reported sales of 1,239 units for the month.

TMS calendar-year-to-date hybrid sales totaled 159,581 units. In October, hybrid sales posted 14,598 units.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-01-06 at 07:56 PM.

Old 11-01-06, 08:22 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I don't recall discussing a V-12.
Old 11-01-06, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 2006 RX 400h luxury hybrid SUV reported sales of 1,239 units for the month.

Impressive sales and appeals to the guilt-ridden SUV buyer. It's definitely a nice SUV though (as we both know from driving it) and maybe the most seamless and least compromised on the market. The RX350 though pretty much takes away its performance edge though and at hugely reduced complexity and cost.

TMS calendar-year-to-date hybrid sales totaled 159,581 units. In October, hybrid sales posted 14,598 units.
Is TMS U.S. only or worldwide? Anyway, that sales level is about 1% of the U.S. market.
Old 11-01-06, 10:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

phew, I'm not gonna bother with this lol.
Old 11-02-06, 05:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Yes, public transportation has its good points ( My agency even pays part of the cost in a monthly subsidy ), but there are also a lot of annoying things about it, too....delays, equipment that is often broken down or out of service, rowdy high-school kids, panhandlers, loud cell-phones all around you, crowds at peak periods, rude station managers, no public restrooms ( in the D.C. system ) , to name other things as well.
Old 11-02-06, 06:08 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Yes, public transportation has its good points ( My agency even pays part of the cost in a monthly subsidy ), but there are also a lot of annoying things about it, too....delays, equipment that is often broken down or out of service, rowdy high-school kids, panhandlers, loud cell-phones all around you, crowds at peak periods, rude station managers, no public restrooms ( in the D.C. system ) , to name other things as well.
I suppose it varies with your location. When I lived in MN, and commuted to downtown Mpls, I took the bus. During the morning and evening rush hours, it was all quiet and respectful business people on board. I used to love flying past the cars parked all the way up and down 35W. Just wave and smile.