Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Lexus NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 02:35 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Taste of Lexus NY

I had a Sat. appointment but they postponed it due to the weather. They allowed us to come back on Sun. I got to test drive most all of the 07 Lexus vehicles. I first drove the IS. The road course they set-up for the IS was the biggest part of the lot and I was told that I could run it hard. After you get in the vehicle they stage you at a red/green light with a person to make sure you don't get to close to the vehicle in front of you. The course starts at the light and you immediately get to accelerate the whole (straight) length of the parking lot. So you get to hit two gears. So at the light, I roll down the window and double checked if I could run the car hard. I get the thumbs-up and I say OK. The light turn green and I hit the gas (WOT). Apparently the traction was turn off (the person ahead of me must have turned it off), because the tires were spinning. I figure, no problem, so I stayed in it and popped off two gears. I got out of it and went through the turns at fast clip, but not ***** to the wall. When I got back to the entrance and exited the vehicle, some Lexus person comes over to me and starts giving me a lecture about how this was a new vehicle and I should not have beat on it. I told him I asked before I test drove it and he said I should have had common sense. I didn't bother arguing with him and walked away. I have to say, the IS launches great and can haul butt. I test drove the car several time before this but I didn't get to flog it, with the salesman along. All and all it was a great day testing all the Lexus'. The new LS460 was VERY impressive compared to the BMW and Benz. I see the 460 being VERY successful vehicle.

Koz
Old 10-30-06, 08:14 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Macau the sales person will drive with you to ensure you drive the car in a safe way... but anyway I didn't try it hard since I like the IS no reason to make myself dislike it... Anyway I think you should told the Lexus guy that someone turn the TRC off so that it wasn't all your fault!! By the way you really shouldn't drive the IS350 that hard since it is very power car and you should enjoy the feeling while you are inside the car test this and test that!!
Old 10-30-06, 12:02 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got yelled at for driving the S550 too hard - actually for braking it too hard and making the wheels squeal. I drove cars way harder last year and no one yelled at me - I guess they are getting stricter. I didn't argue either though - the guy said, if you do that again, we'll ask you to leave, and I said, ok fine. I was done with all the cars on that course, and it's not like he's going to relay the information to the Lexus reps at the other testing stations.

I agree that the LS felt way better than the 750i or the S550. The BMW was the best to drive, but both the MB and BMW were so confusing to control. I couldn't figure out how to manually tune the radio in either car...

Anyway, fun event. I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you get a $750 coupon off your next purchase of a new Lexus vehicle. Also they had free massages, which weren't advertised, and they give you a nice silver card holder/tray thing as your gift.
Old 10-30-06, 02:13 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISbb
In Macau the sales person will drive with you to ensure you drive the car in a safe way... but anyway I didn't try it hard since I like the IS no reason to make myself dislike it... Anyway I think you should told the Lexus guy that someone turn the TRC off so that it wasn't all your fault!! By the way you really shouldn't drive the IS350 that hard since it is very power car and you should enjoy the feeling while you are inside the car test this and test that!!
Koz is talking about a "Taste of Lexus" driving event, not a test drive at a dealership.
Old 10-30-06, 04:35 PM
johnmax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diablo1
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but you get a $750 coupon off your next purchase of a new Lexus vehicle.
I didnt get any coupons. Could use one!
Old 10-30-06, 07:12 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

The coupon is emailed to you. Also when i drove the S550 i locked the brakes on it but didnt get yelled at.
Old 10-30-06, 09:16 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
The coupon is emailed to you. Also when i drove the S550 i locked the brakes on it but didnt get yelled at.
Good to know it's not just me! That car drives like a tank... I didn't think I would have any trouble stopping on time, and it turns out I had to brake a lot harder than I expected. I guess that's what an extra thousand pounds will do for you...

I'm not sure if everyone gets the $750 coupon. I wish they had done that last year - I got my IS just two months after driving it at Taste of Lexus!
Old 10-30-06, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
Good to know it's not just me! That car drives like a tank... I didn't think I would have any trouble stopping on time, and it turns out I had to brake a lot harder than I expected. I guess that's what an extra thousand pounds will do for you...

I'm not sure if everyone gets the $750 coupon. I wish they had done that last year - I got my IS just two months after driving it at Taste of Lexus!
as far as i know, everyone gets it? last yr everyone who went with me got one
Old 10-31-06, 05:49 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I went last year and didnt get one.
Old 10-31-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
I went last year and didnt get one.
lol, now that i think about it, i don't think they gave out any last yr. they did the yr before. i got my 500 after 04's event, which i smartly spent on my sc430

Last edited by rominl; 10-31-06 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-31-06, 11:01 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Great, so the one year they didn't give discounts is the one year I got a Lexus...
Old 10-31-06, 11:04 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

But its only for 750 dollars less than 10 dollar difference in your car note.