Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Names Mercedes GL450 SUV of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 06:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Motor Trend Names Mercedes GL450 SUV of the Year

LOS ANGELES, CA (October 24, 2007) -- Motor Trend, the world's automotive authority and part of PRIMEDIA's (NYSE:PRM) Consumer Automotive Group, today announced that the Mercedes-Benz GL450 is Motor Trend's 2007 Sport/Utility of the Year.

The GL was selected from a field of 22 vehicles--the largest crop of sport/utilities Motor Trend had ever evaluated. Angus MacKenzie, editor in chief of Motor Trend, noted that this year's field was especially strong.

"The GL may be a surprise winner for many people," said MacKenzie. "The first full-size sport/utility from Mercedes is not cheap, but it has astonishing technology. It offers a seven-speed automatic transmission and a V-8 engine with 335 horsepower, and it will be available in a version that runs on the new low-sulfur diesel fuel for greater gas mileage. Comfortable, third-row seating has become one of the most important measures for sport/utilities, and the GL's is the best."

MacKenzie added, "The GL extends the reach of Mercedes-Benz in the sport/utility segment, and is certainly the best sport/utility they've made. In every facet, from performance to the interior, the vehicle is a winner."

To judge the prestigious award, Motor Trend's editorial staff conducted exhaustive off-road, street and track testing, and carefully considered essentials such as driving performance, engineering, design, safety and features. Eligible vehicles had to be all-new or substantially upgraded and on sale in the 12 months since November 1st each year.

The rest of the 22 vehicles Motor Trend evaluated include:

Acura MDX, Acura RDX, Audi Q7, Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chrysler Aspen, Dodge Nitro, Ford Edge, Ford Expedition El, GMC Yukon Denali XL, Honda CRV Ex-L, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Wrangler, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda CX-, Mitsubishi Outlander, Suzuki X17, Toyota FJ Cruiser, and the Toyota RAV4.

The Evolving Sport/Utility
MacKenzie noted that this year's Sport/Utility of the Year testing recognized the rapid and dramatic change in the sport/utility segment. Many industry observers have pointed to the rise of a new class of vehicle--the crossover--that more clearly delineates the SUV's evolution from an off-road, truck-based platform to one that offers a more car-like experience with better feel and driveability.

"If you look at the sport/utility segment on that basis," said MacKenzie. "All of the vehicles that we drove this year are crossovers. It used to be that the sport/utility was an off-road vehicle, plain and simple. This year, only three vehicles--the Mercedes-Benz GL, the Jeep Wrangler and the Toyota FJ Cruiser--had real off-road capability. Many of this year's new sport/utility models will be offered in two-wheel drive versions that will certainly be popular in states where weather and roads aren't a problem.

"Bold styling, a high seating position and, in a word, utility, are why consumers buy SUVs. It's the 21st century station wagon, neither truck nor car-based, and truly belongs in its own category. That's why this year's contest looked more closely at on-road driveability than rock-crawling."

MacKenzie added, "That the GL is this year's winner tells you a lot about how far this segment has come. The GL can certainly go off road, but it also delivers car-like levels of performance and refinement on road. It's the combination of feel, style and usefulness that set it apart."

About Motor Trend's Sport/Utility of the Year Testing and Evaluation Process
Each year since 1949, the editorial staff of Motor Trend evaluates eligible vehicles based on three key categories: Significance, Superiority, and Value. Significance refers to innovation in engineering, technology, design, safety and packaging. Superiority levels the playing field and looks for class-leading levels of vehicle dynamics and performance, build quality and execution, and how well the vehicle performs its intended function. Finally, the all-important Value question asks, "What does this vehicle deliver in relation to what the consumer has to pay to purchase and own it?"

The complete report on the Motor Trend 2007 Sport/Utility of the Year testing and selection will be published in the December issue of Motor Trend, available on newsstands November 7, 2006. Multimedia coverage of the testing and selection process will be broadcast on Motor Trend Radio, hosted by Bob Long.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...y_of_the_year/

Old 10-24-06, 06:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care for it at all.

I'd give SUV of the year to one of the new GMT-900 chassis SUVs or the new Acura MDX (if it's elligable)
Old 10-24-06, 08:05 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked this car in person at the dealer last week and it is not impressive at all. I would much prefer the Audi Q7 or new Cadillac Escalade over this thing.

Also the Motor Trend SUV class is all over the place. A CX-7, CRV, RAV4 and a Suzuki X17 lumped in with a whole bunch of cars in the $60K+ range?
Old 10-24-06, 03:02 PM
JessePS

The rest of the 22 vehicles Motor Trend evaluated include.... yet no Lexus very odd.
Old 10-24-06, 03:05 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
The rest of the 22 vehicles Motor Trend evaluated include.... yet no Lexus very odd.
I did not see the list but they typically only evaluate new/newish designs that have seen significant changes in the last year or so that would have made some reasonably significant impact in the class.

The LX and GX are most definitely not new or significantly changed for 06/07 and the RX got a new motor and trans but that's about all.
Old 10-24-06, 03:26 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will cancel my Motor Trend subscription.
Old 10-24-06, 03:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Square, boring vehicle.
Old 10-24-06, 03:40 PM
LexFather

They tested both the new Acura MDX and RDX.
They won't test a Lexus b/c no Lexus SUV is all-new.
THe GL did win the Car and Driver camparo as well but IMO, it looks like a Highlander and not sure what's so $60,000 about that. The interior IMO is not better than the Escalades or the Tourag....
I don't see what new ground this SUV broke at all? Hell last year the Ridgeline was truck of the year and that ain't a truck.....

Sigh......I didn't renew my subscription a long time ago.....

As for the new X5, it already looks like a front-runner for winner next year.

Old 10-24-06, 03:53 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Motor Trend is so biased, they almost always pick a vehicle with a German nameplate. That's nothing new.
Old 10-24-06, 04:10 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the GL450 winning, there is nothing in this class that can match it right now.

The Escalade uses fake wood all over the interior, and get horrendous fuel economoy, at least it does look nice (exterior). There is also a 3rd row seating issue because of the rear live-axle. Escalade is built on an unmodified mass produced GMT900 platform (Tahoe/Yukon) which means its build quality is on par w/a $30k vehicle not a $60k one.

I'm sure the BMW X5 SUV...errr SAV will compare favorable to the GL450.

Until then the market will have to wait until the LX570 debuts which will once again raise the bar in this class, the LX570 will be built to the same standard as the LS460. There is currently nothing from BMW built that solid.
Old 10-24-06, 04:11 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Motor Trend is so biased, they almost always pick a vehicle with a German nameplate. That's nothing new.
umm last yr the Ridgeline won, the Tundra has one in the past.
Old 10-24-06, 04:13 PM
LexFather

I am shocked they just looked past the 2 Acuras and the new CR-V. The new Rav-4 for its price with the V-6 is a tremendous buy.

I like how Car and Driver has a price ceiling for its 10 best list. A $60,000-$80,000 Benz SHOULD be better than anything on that list.

Seems its time to drive this vehicle....the mags seem to really like it.

Old 10-24-06, 04:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
Escalade is built on an unmodified mass produced GMT900 platform (Tahoe/Yukon) which means its build quality is on par w/a $30k vehicle not a $60k one.
How, exactly, is the build quality of a vehicle determined by the platform it is built on? Especially with a body on frame vehicle where the platform itself is almost entirely structurally independent from the body which sits on it?

It isn't.
Old 10-24-06, 04:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I love the GL. Winning SUV of the year IMO is not unjustified.
Old 10-24-06, 04:31 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

I would much rather get one of these http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...udi-q7-36.html.

But the new GL450 is a very impressive vehicle. It got first place in Car and Driver's Comparison test between the Infiniti QX, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, and the Audi Q7 (got second).

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Names Mercedes GL450 SUV of the Year