Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Will you buy it?
yes
22.22%
no
77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

GPS traffic camera detector

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 11:04 PM
Benji668
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS traffic camera detector

Do you think this tech is reliable & worth a try? Welcome to give some thoughts

http://www.radarbusters.com/products...r/navalert.asp
Old 10-07-06, 11:12 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never seen one of those before. don't exactly know how effective those are. i don't think i need a red light warning device. my v1 will do fine.
Old 10-08-06, 02:22 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres no speed cameras in america, and you buy this only if you like to run red lights. rather spend the $225 on a radar detector.
Old 10-08-06, 07:59 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Theres no speed cameras in america, and you buy this only if you like to run red lights. rather spend the $225 on a radar detector.
I don't know anything about the device in the poll, but I do know that Hartawan is wrong. Speed cameras are not widely used in the United States, but they are used by twenty one communities, including one in his own state of California.

Listing of American speed camera locations: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/sc_cities.html
Old 10-08-06, 08:33 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

this is the first attempt to do what i've seen them already doing in south korea. the last time i went to seoul, they have speed cameras everywhere. no red light cameras because people run redlights constantly but for speed mostly. the cameras were not hidden but they are in so many places that it just doesn't make sense to speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down.

anyway i'm riding in a taxicab down the highway and navigation is done using your cellphone with gps and maps. anyway the cellphone goes off, it chimes, and says speed camera ahead. since all the camera locations are well-known and documented (by this third-party company), you can subscribe to this service thru your wireless carrier to let you know where they are. as you drive around, you get all the warnings and from what i saw, it worked just fine.

you get the initial warning about 1/2 mile out, then another 2 or 3 until you arrive, kinda like the radar detector. you can clearly see the cameras which are in plain sight. since i'm the curious type, i asked all about this (don't speak korean but thru my translator) since it seems strange that they don't try to hide anything.

btw, i only saw one cop standing by the side of the road using photo radar to clock cars. one cop in 7 days, never saw anyone pulled over with flashing lights. cop was standing off to the side on this long stretch of road and there was no police car, apparently they don't give chase, just send you the ticket.
Old 10-08-06, 08:37 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bichon
I don't know anything about the device in the poll, but I do know that Hartawan is wrong. Speed cameras are not widely used in the United States, but they are used by twenty one communities, including one in his own state of California.

Listing of American speed camera locations: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/sc_cities.html
San Jose?! Wow good thing I didnt get caught by that camera. But either way, I would rather get a radar detector since it'll detect the camera and police radars. I am guessing those speed cameras will use the K-bands.
Old 10-08-06, 08:43 AM
Jetmaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a mini van with the speed camera, which the police move from place to place, all over the city. This is a nondescript, white mini van with a small mast coming out of the roof. By the time you notice it (if at all), it’s too late.

The fines are higher than a normal speeding ticket handed out by a cop and are not contestable in court, but they also don’t hit your license with points.

We also have red light cameras in our community and we seem to be getting more of these all the time. I don’t worry about them since I don’t run lights, but the speeding van…
Old 10-08-06, 08:46 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hartawan
San Jose?! Wow good thing I didnt get caught by that camera. But either way, I would rather get a radar detector since it'll detect the camera and police radars. I am guessing those speed cameras will use the K-bands.
Photo radar typically uses Ka band. I've seen lots of them in Paradise Vally, Az
Old 10-08-06, 10:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

DC they are definitely used to check speed. I know they put them up after I left.

Down here in Mexico City, they are used but as long as I do not drive a vehicle with plates drom the Federal District or Mexico State, I am in the clear..

I am aware in the U.K. from certain friends, such devices to exist and will alert you to these locations. There are several companies out there who follow the locations vigilantly and provide updates.

I believe I remember reading that my home state of Florida prohibits the use of speed or photo cameras except those of course used by a police officer in their vehicles.