Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 06:26 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Mercedes Salesman

I just wanted to let this out of my chest, it's been bothering me. Anyways heres the story.
My friend and I went around to a couple of dealerships to look for a car, he wants to buy a new car soon, saved up his money and all. We went to a BMW dealership in Alhambra, New Century I think. When we first came in, the asian [im not trying to be racist or anything] salesman greeted us very kindly and asked if we needed some help. So my friend told him he was looking for a BMW 325Ci and he was on a budget, he gladly looked for us what was in stock at the moment and told us what he could get with the budget he had. We thanked him for that and handed us his name card and we left.
We decided to go to the Mercedes Benz dealership at Arcadia. We came in there and looked around, there was SL, CLS, CLK, E 63s on the floor and a Maybach on the back. Finally a hispanic mixed [no offense, i know not all are like this] salesman came up to us asked "Can I help you guys?" im a little rough tone and i saw his eyes, he was looking at what clothes and shoes we wore. [We are young and we were decently dressed, not ghetto or anything.] So my friend said, "I'm looking for a car, something cheap, not too expensive." Guess how he replied? "Something cheap? Are you sure youre looking for a Mercedes? These cars arent cheap." In my head I said wtf, how dare him to say such a thing. I kept my cool, and I can tell from my friend's face that he was getting a little pissed. So I told him to look at the E63 I was looking at, and the salesman just walked to the coffee station and never came back to us. I was pissed so we decided to leave, my blood pressure was probably in the 200s. After, I decided to wash my car to make me a little happy. A clean IS always makes me happy. heh.

Anyways I had to vent.
Old 10-04-06, 06:32 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont be so pissed, it will only damage your health
think of it as his loss

lots of car salesman are like this, a bunch of a** ho**s
Old 10-04-06, 06:33 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

you should have driven your Cayenne Turbo again.

there are always jerks at all the stealerships. It doenst really matter which one.

Hope you will feel better.
Old 10-04-06, 07:32 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Maybe the salesman is proud of the product he's selling, and when you guys said you want something "cheap", that's kind of an insult. Come on, if you deliver your message differently, like saying, you are looking for something that's within your budget, then he may serve you better. I don't blame him for ignoring you when a minute ago you are looking for something cheap, and another minute you said you want to look at the E63. It doesn't make sense.
Old 10-04-06, 08:37 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont let him get you pissed hes mad cause he is a employee and he cant afford one lol
Old 10-04-06, 09:19 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Talk to his manager and tell him exactly what you told us. He won't be working there very long.
Old 10-04-06, 09:22 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Maybe the salesman is proud of the product he's selling, and when you guys said you want something "cheap", that's kind of an insult. Come on, if you deliver your message differently, like saying, you are looking for something that's within your budget, then he may serve you better. I don't blame him for ignoring you when a minute ago you are looking for something cheap, and another minute you said you want to look at the E63. It doesn't make sense.
I agree with this.

The BASE MSRP for the E63 starts at 85K Once you
add options you're easily pushing 100K. I'm sure this is not what
your friend had in mind since he was looking at a 325i...

Now if you had said I'm looking for that cheap polished turd
that you guys sell called the C class, then he might've talked
to you

Last edited by marshmallo; 10-04-06 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 09:51 PM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I agree with this.

The BASE MSRP for the E63 starts at 85K Once you
add options you're easily pushing 100K. I'm sure this is not what
your friend had in mind since he was looking at a 325i...

Now if you had said I'm looking for that cheap polished turd
that you guys sell called the C class, then he might've talked
to you
I agree. The response of the salesperson was just downright wrong. But if you guys replied to him instead of saying "We're looking for something cheap." he probably would have answered differently. I mean, there's only so many cheap Benz.

You guys could go back to that dealer and meet up with another salesperson and in the meantime, report the incident to the manager and get that other guy fired.
Old 10-04-06, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's ok, he just won't get the sales from you. forget about him. people who judge others by their age, clothing, etc... they don't get respect from me
Old 10-04-06, 10:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Hartawan
I just wanted to let this out of my chest, it's been bothering me. Anyways heres the story.
My friend and I went around to a couple of dealerships to look for a car, he wants to buy a new car soon, saved up his money and all. We went to a BMW dealership in Alhambra, New Century I think. When we first came in, the asian [im not trying to be racist or anything] salesman greeted us very kindly and asked if we needed some help. So my friend told him he was looking for a BMW 325Ci and he was on a budget, he gladly looked for us what was in stock at the moment and told us what he could get with the budget he had. We thanked him for that and handed us his name card and we left.
We decided to go to the Mercedes Benz dealership at Arcadia. We came in there and looked around, there was SL, CLS, CLK, E 63s on the floor and a Maybach on the back. Finally a hispanic mixed [no offense, i know not all are like this] salesman came up to us asked "Can I help you guys?" im a little rough tone and i saw his eyes, he was looking at what clothes and shoes we wore. [We are young and we were decently dressed, not ghetto or anything.] So my friend said, "I'm looking for a car, something cheap, not too expensive." Guess how he replied? "Something cheap? Are you sure youre looking for a Mercedes? These cars arent cheap." In my head I said wtf, how dare him to say such a thing. I kept my cool, and I can tell from my friend's face that he was getting a little pissed. So I told him to look at the E63 I was looking at, and the salesman just walked to the coffee station and never came back to us. I was pissed so we decided to leave, my blood pressure was probably in the 200s. After, I decided to wash my car to make me a little happy. A clean IS always makes me happy. heh.

Anyways I had to vent.
First off, your post IS racist by saying the salesperson you liked is Asian and the one you didn't like is Hispanic. That information frankly, is irrelevant, except to your pre-conceived biases.

You yourself said you guys told the BMW salesperson your friend's "on a budget" yet you told the MB salesperson you wanted "something cheap" - so not the same request, and not surprisingly, not the same response. I don't think him saying MB's aren't cheap is an insult in any way - they're NOT cheap.

I do agree if you noticed him checking out your clothes/shoes then that wasn't very subtle of him, but they ALL do it.

Anyway, I think you're over-sensitive, misread the situation, and while he judged you, you judged him (wrongly) too.
Old 10-04-06, 10:01 PM
AudiMan
Driver

when i went to a benz dealer to drive the E class before i bought the GS, the guy saw my audi and said "so you're ready for a benz now?" as if everyone drives other brands because we can't afford a benz...what a douche, he was just a kid
Old 10-04-06, 10:15 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

This must have been Rusnak in Arcadia? Does not surprise me.
Old 10-04-06, 10:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

One Lexus salesperson I met (but didn't buy from for obvious reasons) during a test drive asked where I live, I told him (it wasn't that close to the dealership) - I asked if he lived in the county where the dealer was and he basically said "no way, too many Asians here". I was stunned. He then told me that other salespersons at the dealership referred Asians to him because he knew "how to handle" them. He also made several other negative racist remarks. I was amazed - I'm not Asian, but hey I've got Asian friends and how did he know I wasn't married to an Asian woman for example! Incredible.
Old 10-04-06, 11:01 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I think you are overreacting. This goes on everyday at alot of dealers. To be frank, if I was a car salesman and my commission depended on cars sold, you probably get to realize pretty quickly which customers are just window shopping and which are serious just by their body language. It's not a mall....most people don't come into a dealer and mull over and make a $60k purchase the same way you may walk into a clothing store and buy a shirt. I wouldn't be too happy either if people came in who I perceived to be window shopping (and by all intentions, you were, you said he wanted a 325. You made it sound like you went to the MB dealer just to go). Window shoppers should go to the dealers on Sundays when they are closed...I bet those dealers get ALOT of those people who basically are wasting time.

I think ALOT of us would react the same way if we were a salesman at these places....we would get to know who the normal customer is and their typical features. Sure, you get a customer here and there who maybe is dressed down....but I doubt it's the norm.
Old 10-04-06, 11:25 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
First off, your post IS racist by saying the salesperson you liked is Asian and the one you didn't like is Hispanic. That information frankly, is irrelevant, except to your pre-conceived biases.
Anyway, I think you're over-sensitive, misread the situation, and while he judged you, you judged him (wrongly) too.
Couldn't have stated it better myself.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Salesman