Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Altima Hybrid: 2.5L I4, 198 hp, 41/36 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 02:54 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Altima Hybrid: 2.5L I4, 198 hp, 41/36 mpg

2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid Debuts [Oct. 4, 06]

- First-ever Nissan Hybrid Blends Performance, Style, Fuel Economy -

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Oct. 4, 2006) – The all-new 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid, Nissan’s first entry into the hybrid gasoline/electric vehicle segment, makes its North American debut at the 2007 Model Orange County Auto Show in Anaheim, California, October 4 – 8, 2006.

The new Altima Hybrid offers all the style, convenience, comfort, quality feel and performance technology features and highlights of the next-generation 2007 Altima – while offering the added benefits of enhanced fuel economy and reduced emissions.

The Altima Hybrid’s powertrain mates the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine and electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (eCVT) with an electric motor and generator that increases fuel economy while maintaining low tailpipe emissions. The Altima Hybrid’s hybrid system is rated at a net power of 198 horsepower (148 kW), with fuel economy estimated at 41 mpg City/36 mpg Highway.

Classified as an Advanced Technology-Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV), the new Altima Hybrid will be available in eight states. The vehicle has been certified to meet California emissions requirements and will be sold beginning in early 2007 in those states that have adopted California emissions regulations: California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey. These states are among the strongest markets for hybrid vehicles.

The 2007 Altima Hybrid will be available in early 2007, following the November 2006 introduction of the 2007 Altima 2.5-liter 4-cylinder and 3.5-liter V6 gasoline-powered models.

Passionate Driving That Takes Care of the Environment
Nissan\'s commitment to the environment takes a different form than might be found at other automakers. While Nissan strives to offer the most advanced fuel-saving technology available, the company also believes that drivers should not have to sacrifice any of the style or performance attributes that remain at the top of the reasons for buying a new Nissan.

For that reason, the Altima Hybrid is marked with the same expressive styling as its non-hybrid brethren – inside and out. The engine and suspension in the Altima Hybrid deliver the same spirited performance as its more conventional siblings.

The combination of passionate driving and passion for the environment is what makes the Altima Hybrid the standout in its segment.

Altima Hybrid Follows Nissan Tradition
The Altima Hybrid is the latest in a long line of Nissan environmental automotive initiatives. Nissan was the first automaker to introduce a partial zero emission vehicle (PZEV) with its Sentra CA in 2000. In many areas of California the air leaving the Sentra\'s tailpipe is cleaner than the air going into the engine.

Nissan expanded its PZEV offerings to include Altima\'s 2.5-liter engine in 2005.

Nissan\'s Xtronic CVT, introduced originally in March 1992 in Japan, is now available to increase fuel efficiency in small, medium and large passenger vehicles. Nissan expects to produce 1 million CVTs annually by the end of fiscal year 2007.

Nissan is also taking a leadership position in Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV) technology. In 2006, Nissan was the only import brand in the United States to offer a FFV with the introduction of the E85 ethanol capable Nissan Titan pickup. For 2007, the full-size Nissan Armada SUV joins the Titan in offering FFV technology as a no-cost option.

For more information on the 2007 Nissan Altima and other Nissan products, please visit www.nissannews.com.
Old 10-04-06, 03:05 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Altima is one of the worst piece of junk on the market now.
There will be many recalls on this one.
Old 10-04-06, 03:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For people that don't want to pay the premium of the Camry (the hybrid is selling near MSRP), this may be the alternative.

I doubt it will trump the Camry hybrid, but it definately is a good alternative to those willing to save a little $$.
Old 10-04-06, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For people that don't want to pay the premium of the Camry (the hybrid is selling near MSRP), this may be the alternative.

I doubt it will trump the Camry hybrid, but it definately is a good alternative to those willing to save a little $$.
are you sure it will be significantly less expensive?
Old 10-04-06, 04:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by spwolf
are you sure it will be significantly less expensive?
Maybe not too much of a difference with MSRP, but there's more haggling room on a Nissan than a Toyota.

Just like the Insight and Prius. Guess which sells for MSRP, and which sells well below it...
Old 10-04-06, 04:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Maybe not too much of a difference with MSRP, but there's more haggling room on a Nissan than a Toyota.

Just like the Insight and Prius. Guess which sells for MSRP, and which sells well below it...
Is Insight still on sale? Interesting.

Anyway, due to the fact that they purchased technology for Toyota, I doubt they will have much room to haggle... Their cost will be quite bigger than Toyota's.
Old 10-04-06, 05:15 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Since this is Nissan's only hybrid, and since its availability is limited, the hybrid tax credit (probably $2100 or so) will last for a very, very long time.

On the other hand, the Camry hybrid tax credit will start getting reduced, and won't be available in a year.
Old 10-04-06, 05:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the Insight is dead I believe. 2006 should be the last year in production.

I'm surprised they can get more power and yet better efficiency with a bigger engine and an older hybrid system vs. the Camry Hybrid. How much lighter is the Altima Hybrid?
Old 10-04-06, 05:34 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I had read somewhere, these forums I think, that Nissan was going to use Toyota's technology for it's hybrids? Or something very similar anyway...?
Old 10-04-06, 07:33 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by spwolf
Is Insight still on sale? Interesting.
Sorry. I was talking about the past, not the present...
Old 10-04-06, 08:09 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ATSOU
Altima is one of the worst piece of junk on the market now.
There will be many recalls on this one.

I will say one thing. Our 03 Altima that we traded in for the 07 Camry was reliable and was hardly ever in the shop except for a blown strut. Unlike both the 07 CAmrys we had which broke 350 miles and 1800 miles and now Toyota bought them back. I would say its not a Piece of junk but it out live a Toyota easily.
Old 10-04-06, 08:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Hybrid Photos

Old 10-04-06, 08:19 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

That is ugly though. I like our 03 style better.
Old 10-04-06, 08:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear of the previous gen was supposed to mimic a motorcycle. The rear of this one looks like someone with bad makeup.
Old 10-04-06, 08:51 PM
LexFather

I don't care what anyone says, there is one thing to have design language and there is another thing to have 1 design, in 1 size with 5 different names. Altima/Maxima/Sentra/G35/M35/45 look damn identical. And I prefer the older Altima to this thing. Are they trying to get the headlights and tailights to touch? And giant dual exhausts on a barely 200hp hybrid. How menacing.

Kudos to them using Toyota technology to make a hybrid, its a very good option to have. I am sure this thing will sell very well and overall I am very happy Nissan is offering this car.

Quick Reply: 2007 Altima Hybrid: 2.5L I4, 198 hp, 41/36 mpg