Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM/Nissan/Renault calling it off

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 10:40 AM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM/Nissan/Renault calling it off

CNBC reporting that any talks about a merger/buyout/alliance is officially ended. A bad idea to begin with, IMO.
Old 10-04-06, 11:46 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Yep, just heard that on the news too. Looks like Carlos is screwed!
Old 10-04-06, 08:10 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

GM wanted money which was a bad call on their side since they needed help. Don't demand stuff when your the one hurting.
Old 10-04-06, 08:52 PM
LexFather

R.Kelly and Jay-Z=Best of Both Worlds
GM and Renault= Worst of Both Worlds

Old 10-04-06, 10:17 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
Yep, just heard that on the news too. Looks like Carlos is screwed!
Sorry, that statement doesn't make sense to me. Renault/Nissan were the knights on white horses in this case. GM is the one that was (and still is) in trouble.
Old 10-04-06, 10:46 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

yup, I think GM is the one who is still screwed no matter what. Carlos probably saw all the crap underneat the GM firm and he thinks he can't save GM. And that's probably the reson why he backed off.
Old 10-05-06, 04:05 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

I know GM still is in trouble... that's old news, it was in trouble, still is today and that won't change in the near future.
But the reason I said that about Carlos is because he's in trouble in the long run with his main concern, his worst nightmare; TOYOTA!
Carlos was warning GM that they should take Toyota as a more serious threat. When he said that, he didn't say it because he likes GM and cares about it... No, he said that because he wants to save his own a$$.

The way I see it; this wasn't about GM , it was about Nissan.

Toyota really is unstopable now, and with new models on the way (like the Tundra ) Nissan won't be able to touch Toyota.
Old 10-05-06, 05:29 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Nissan isn't worried about becoming big like Toyota. GM is worried about that. Nissan is more worried about its customer base and financial statements.
Old 10-05-06, 01:37 PM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by G35_TX
Nissan isn't worried about becoming big like Toyota. GM is worried about that. Nissan is more worried about its customer base and financial statements.

Financial statements…
The bigger you are the more you can share platforms, engines and car components + The more you share the more cost cutting = The more you sell the more money you make. Yes Nissan is interested in that. Nissan, like Toyota “says ” it’s not about increasing sales numbers… but of course that’s not true (IMO).

Nissan wishes it can keep up with Toyota and it is in its interest to do so, otherwise when Toyota is far ahead it will be able to offer even more competitive cars with better features at lower costs (higher profits, especially if they maintain their profit margins 7-8% or increase them)

Let me ask you this, who did you think was going to benefit more from all this, Nissan or GM?
My answer: Very very obvious, mostly Nissan! They don’t want to pay GM money, basically they just want to use GMs’ unused production capacity and share development cost etc. So I feel like Nissan is just helping themselves.
It’s true GM needs a partner (like Nissan) to survive.
But Nissan needs a partner like GM to catch up to Toyota and stop it from being an unstoppable threat.

Im not saying GM is better than Nissan, it’s not! In any way! Not in cars, not in managment, efficiency, profits, NOTHING! But what's GM getting out of this, managment advice from Carlos G???
Old 10-05-06, 01:58 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Sorry but GM would have benefit greatly from this not Nissan. Nissan is doing fine right now and GM is going down. Nissan didn't try to help until GM was about to go and still is under.
Old 10-05-06, 05:37 PM
LexFather

Have you seen any sales figures the last two years? Toyota just last month is up 20%, Nissan down 9%. They are not doing fine. They are still very profitable but you have to keep improving or you will fall back fast.

Nissan needed GM as much as Nissan (its RENAULT) needed GM. GM had tons of factories that Nissan could use to produce more models. GM has tons of dealer networds and suppliers. GM is the largest car company still.

Toyota owns 40% of the Japanese market! More than NIssan and Honda COMBINED!

Old 10-06-06, 05:58 AM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Have you seen any sales figures the last two years? Toyota just last month is up 20%, Nissan down 9%. They are not doing fine. They are still very profitable but you have to keep improving or you will fall back fast.

Nissan needed GM as much as Nissan (its RENAULT) needed GM. GM had tons of factories that Nissan could use to produce more models. GM has tons of dealer networds and suppliers. GM is the largest car company still.

Toyota owns 40% of the Japanese market! More than NIssan and Honda COMBINED!

Exactly what I've been trying to say.

G35tx when you said "Nissan is doing fine right now" did you check their sales for the past 11 months??? Let me sum it up for you,
It went pretty much like this:

Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down
Down

DOWN = Really bad year!
And Nissan's sales-decrease are not exclusive to the US, no, the same trend follows in Japan and Europe! In other words Nissan World Wide Sales are SIGNIFICANTLY DOWN! They are definitely hurting.

All that, while Toyota sales went up up and up. Last month Toyota sales UP 20.2% in the US alone ) <== quite significant when you consider that Toyota sales are already 2.2 times more than Nissan. What's even scarier for Carlos Ghosn is that Toyota is spending around $1billion every month this year building new factories, to be able to produce more cars, tailored cars for major markets. Just imagine!!! Toyota is no joke, Carlos' got that right! It's his worst nightmare and a company that makes him shake in his boots.

(I got articles to support my facts , I'm sure you've seen most of them since they've been posted on CL previously)
Old 10-06-06, 06:04 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

That's not what I was saying. Nissan is doing FINE. They are still making money. They aren't in the hole like GM is. Both would benefit from the merger of course. But at this moment in time, GM would benefit the most since they are in the hole and Nissan isn't.

Last edited by KrazyLexus; 10-06-06 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-06-06, 07:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea GM would benefit from Nissan but how would Nissan benefit from GM, too much baggage. At least Nissan makes positive dollars on vehicles

huge publicity stunt