Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

September 2006 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 10:26 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We could break down E/5/GS sales but the others don't break it down by engine (or only offer 1 engine).
E sales aren't broken down by engine, are they?
Old 10-04-06, 10:34 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Incendiary
E sales aren't broken down by engine, are they?
Nope. Only the 5 and the GS break down by engine.

And only the 5 breaks down by models (i.e., AWD).
Old 10-04-06, 11:21 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

GM: http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=2&docid=29391
Old 10-04-06, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Right - every Lexus model stays even or drops and the IS saves the day. Same story every month.
and apperantly nothing can save BMW... right?

:-)

Is this 2nd or 3rd straight month of drops for BMW?
Old 10-04-06, 11:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Civic sales are down because production of all-new CRV is at full steam. This was expected.

Fit sales have always been dependent on supply. If Honda's supply was able to meet demand, then the Fit wouldn't have one of the shortest 'Days on lot' in the industry. Fit worldwide sales should be expected to drop. It is in fact an 'old' model everywhere else in the world. We've received the Fit in the US during the middle of it's model cycle.
dude, honda sales in japan and europe dropped sharply in past year... this is where Fit sells 100x more than in US.

Only in September 2006, their sales dropped 12% in Japan. In August their sales dropped 20% in Japan.

Saying that they dont have enough supply for Civics and Fits, would mean that they had 2-3 factories burn down in fire, it is just ridicilous.
Old 10-04-06, 11:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I honestly expected it to do better. It is a beautful car and showed some great numbers the previous months - which tells me those numbers were a combination ES330 and ES350 sales. My only thought is that it is at max capacity.

Ron - the 550/M5 numbers are down due to the model changeover. What is weird is that the M5 actually outsold the 550 from Sept 05-Dec 05 (not sure on the exact months).

edit: correction, only the M5 is going through a model changeover - but 5-series production was stopped during August for the "holiday"
lol... maybe because thats their monthly production and they are selling it out? lol.
Old 10-04-06, 12:27 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
and apperantly nothing can save BMW... right?

Is this 2nd or 3rd straight month of drops for BMW?
As discussed, they shut down during the month of August - inventory is tight. Add to this that the X5 is at the very end of its life cycle.... and you have lower sales. Things should/will change with the new X5. Stick around.

lol... maybe because thats their monthly production and they are selling it out? lol.
spwolf, I have to ask you, do you know what lol means? It means Laughing out Loud. Can I ask what part of my post would make you "laugh out loud"? Did you read the part "My only thought is that it is at max capacity"? Or did you miss that?

Of course, you could have written "LOL - Doug, how could they be at max capacity when they sold 7973 of them in August (vs the 5851 of them in Sept)".
Old 10-04-06, 01:46 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Code:
3		9616
ES		5851
TL		5334
G35		5160
A4		4497
IS		4319
C		4238
CTS		3847
TSX		2882
S40/V50		2822
S60/V70		2410
MKZ		2065
9-3		1823
X-type		412
Code:
E		4112
5		3190
GS		2706
STS		2530
M		1933
A6		1061
RL		1015
9-5		480
LS		446
S-type		402
S80		130
Code:
DTS		5858
S		2357
Town Car	2220	
7		1015
LS430		898
A8		438
XJ		33
Q45		20
Phaeton		16
Old 10-04-06, 01:49 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

As discussed, they shut down during the month of August - inventory is tight. Add to this that the X5 is at the very end of its life cycle.... and you have lower sales. Things should/will change with the new X5. Stick around.

spwolf, I have to ask you, do you know what lol means? It means Laughing out Loud. Can I ask what part of my post would make you "laugh out loud"? Did you read the part "My only thought is that it is at max capacity"? Or did you miss that?

Of course, you could have written "LOL - Doug, how could they be at max capacity when they sold 7973 of them in August (vs the 5851 of them in Sept)".
I think he's saying lollerskates re: BMW being ranked 1, 2, 4 in sales for each sedan category.

To which, of course, you as a diehard bimmerphile reply, "roflcopter."
Old 10-04-06, 02:01 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I think he's saying lollerskates re: BMW being ranked 1, 2, 4 in sales for each sedan category.

Ok, I think I got it now!

Last edited by doug_999; 10-04-06 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

they shot down? what about august? july?

I mean thats just funny... sorry guys, we dont want to produce cars anymore... go to Lexus, they obviously do want to produce cars :-).

LOL.

p.s. yes, I am sometimes quite shallow and dont read posts completly, hence previous lol :-).
Old 10-04-06, 04:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

is being 4th good now? Interesting news... We take pride in being 4th in most luxurious segment of all... that definetly shows our prestige... or not.

:-).
Old 10-04-06, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. usually first month allocation is more than one months production, first stock is usually bigger to satsify first demand for the vehicle... thats how it always goes. Depending on model and predicted sales for the market. Sometimes new car launches are delayed for an month to get enough vehicles on stock, so customers wont be dissapointed, and run to BMW dealerships :-).

While it is "cool" to say that you are all sold out, it is situation that Toyota and Lexus dont particulary like, because it means that their customers are going somewhere else. I have seen few heads roll due to new model shortage in our European markets, most recently in past 3 months when our main Toyota/Lexus distributor for region (7 countries) fired responsible for shortsighted planning of all new Rav4 and Yaris stock ordering, when demand was tripple of supply.

So again, while it might seem cool to say that you are all out, in business world it means lost sale despite heavy costs incurred to make that sale.
Old 10-04-06, 07:59 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

is being 4th good now? Interesting news... We take pride in being 4th in most luxurious segment of all... that definetly shows our prestige... or not.

:-).
Well, compared to 2/6, 3, and 5, yeah...
Old 10-04-06, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

p.s. usually first month allocation is more than one months production, first stock is usually bigger to satsify first demand for the vehicle... thats how it always goes.
You mean like the new LS460 which a thread in the LS forum says will only be available SWB with basic options to start with in the U.S.?

While it is "cool" to say that you are all sold out, it is situation that Toyota and Lexus dont particulary like, because it means that their customers are going somewhere else. I have seen few heads roll due to new model shortage in our European markets, most recently in past 3 months when our main Toyota/Lexus distributor for region (7 countries) fired responsible for shortsighted planning of all new Rav4 and Yaris stock ordering, when demand was tripple of supply.

So again, while it might seem cool to say that you are all out, in business world it means lost sale despite heavy costs incurred to make that sale.
Makes sense but my experience is that while Lexus dealers may not run out they never have much inventory either. It's a fine line of looking like a 'stuffed' (possibly desperate) dealer vs. losing sales for having too little inventory.

Quick Reply: September 2006 Sales Thread