Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota sites getting shut down? what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 12:42 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota sites getting shut down? what the heck?

from another site

http://gen7accord.net/forums/viewtop...1e274d4e61de11
Old 10-02-06, 12:56 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it isn't true, but this letter looks pretty genuine...

Old 10-02-06, 01:01 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
Read below

Updated--Its mainly forums with the word toyota in it or the cars name in it like tundra or pruis (which that forum is gone already as Im being told) So does that mean honda/acura will be next?

I will say as co-Admin of www.SELOC.net, we did have talks with Toyota about making a couple changes (we were notified in Spring), the biggest was the tradmarked Lexus logo and our font which we used for our name SELOC not just on the site but on mechandise like clothes/hats etc. They were a PLEASURE to deal with and they were correct. They want to support us but don't want official affiliation.

THough the thought of facing me in court did send chills down that multi-billion dollar comapnies spine (just kidding)

So we held a contest and our members made different new logos and fonts and the people voted for the winner and changed our logo and problem resolved!!

As for support, we were told Toyota loves the energy and enthusiam from the forum(s) and want to support positive ones and keep communication open.

Just another reason I will continue to support their products.

Old 10-02-06, 01:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it applies to non-profit organizations or people...

they can't stop some forums on the internet that discuss a certain toyota vehicle...

i'm sure its some legal team BS and it doesnt speak for the whole of toyota
Old 10-02-06, 02:00 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similiar thing happen to F150world, they changed it to FordTruckWorld and a Dodge Ram board also changed, forget what that was
Old 10-02-06, 02:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

It is good to see that Lexus and Toyota are being good sports about this and willing to work with us and others to correct these issues. Most of the time it is inadvertent and one might not even know.

Having been in trademark law, I can assure you I have not seen a Fortune 500 letter written as nicely as the one above. I used to have a friend here in Mexico with Disney legal counsel, and I can assure you they are the most vicious and rightly so. I see so many pirate copies of Disney stuff it is unbelievable.
Old 10-02-06, 03:19 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

I remember Honda had to do something like this a couple or so years ago. It wasn't as big of a deal because most of the forums that were using the Honda trademark were sponsored by Honda anyways and the ones that were not deserved to be shut down anyways.
Old 10-02-06, 03:41 PM
ic144
Driver

HAHAHA.

You guys haven't seen how Microsoft works with people when they use registered trademarks in their website addresses.
Old 10-02-06, 07:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ic144
HAHAHA.

You guys haven't seen how Microsoft works with people when they use registered trademarks in their website addresses.
Oh they can be nasty at times, too. My friend at Disney knew someone who left their legal time to join Microsoft, but Disney still takes the prize.
Old 10-02-06, 09:58 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

This is nothing new to be honest. Back in the day, late 1998, I was an active member of Camryman's Passing lane aka www.camryman.com. Because of the legalities with TMS Legal, the owner was allowed to keep the "Camryman" name but change the website from .com to .org since it was an enthusiast org. If you notice, the .com address aforementioned redirects to Toyota's main page.

Here at CL, we are very fortunate to have a great relationship with Lexus Corp and TMS Legal. As you guys have seen changes with our logo, we are very fortunate to bear the name with their approval. As 1SICKLEX mentioned, Toyota & Lexus are very enthusiastic about our pride & enthusiasm for their products. Because the names are trademarked, they obviously have to be protected by their rightful owners and we definitely respect that. If you look at it at a legal standpoint, the manufacturer wants to limit it's liabilities to any company or websites bearing their name. Because in the case that some individual or party wants to sue "x car brand.com", they will also try to take down the main manufacturer which that website is trying to promote or represent. The same thing happened with many Toyota/Lexus independent shops more than 10 years ago. As you all can currently see, we have made the appropriate changes with their guidance.

Last edited by flipside909; 10-02-06 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

go figure why our local chapter lexusgonewild.com is now changed to lgwnorcal.com

i don't really blame lexus for that, they need to protect their names
Old 10-03-06, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
go figure why our local chapter lexusgonewild.com is now changed to lgwnorcal.com

i don't really blame lexus for that, they need to protect their names
Especially when u got people like me posting

Old 10-03-06, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Especially when u got people like me posting
haha you never know mike, maybe they will ask you to change your screen name soon
Old 10-03-06, 09:18 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I hope Clublexus gets shut down.
I hate this site.
Old 10-03-06, 09:40 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

lol.

Anyways, anyone remmeber when nissan.com was forced to shut down. Because it was using Nissan's name. But the guys last name is NISSAN.

Quick Reply: Toyota sites getting shut down? what the heck?