Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Road & Track magazine: 2008 Toyota Supra??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 10:54 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That car is ugly and looks like it has an identity crisis. It looks like a wannabe SL/G/Z/'Vette/AstonMartin to me. However, the way the grill and lights look, make the car look like its smiling... If rumors are true and a new Supra will be produced, I sure as hell hope it doesn't look like this! lol
Old 10-03-06, 11:00 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care what it looks like!! I don't care what kind of engines we get!!
I'm getting it no matter what!!
If it comes out....
Old 10-03-06, 11:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that engine needs to go in the IS350, 350 hp 290 trq, yum
Old 10-03-06, 11:32 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that car claimed to be the supra is ugly....just plain ugly....
Old 10-03-06, 01:07 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

There have been so many "new Supra" rumors ever since that car was discontinued that I won't believe it until I see it.
Old 10-03-06, 01:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
4.3 liter V8, I thought Toyota was going to retire that engine from their line up and replace with 4.6 liter.
They are. Thats why this article is kind of dumb.

Its not a hard stretch for someone to postulate that an IS chassis with the GR engine series in a more sports-oriented vehicle would make a great 350z killer. It'd create some revenue for Toyota; and Toyota is all about maximizing profit, increasing efficiency, and maintaining or improving reliability. This one thing makes total sense for them to do it, eventually.

Which is why I don't find that article very enlightening; nothing but heresay rumour that a random enthusiast with his/her head screwed on right can come up with just by thinking a little bit. The 4.3L engine mention shows me that the author is pretty far behind the times.

The 2GR could be tuned far in excess of 350hp if Toyota wanted to... the current IS350 variant already makes quite a bit more than 306hp. Dynos indicate more like 320-330 (250whp on a mustang dyno through an auto tranny? come on! 306bhp my ****!). I'd venture to say 375hp would be easily doable (or even more) if VVTL-I were included in the package Too bad no american-sold Toyotas have it.
Old 10-03-06, 02:09 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
They are. Thats why this article is kind of dumb.

Its not a hard stretch for someone to postulate that an IS chassis with the GR engine series in a more sports-oriented vehicle would make a great 350z killer. It'd create some revenue for Toyota; and Toyota is all about maximizing profit, increasing efficiency, and maintaining or improving reliability. This one thing makes total sense for them to do it, eventually.

Which is why I don't find that article very enlightening; nothing but heresay rumour that a random enthusiast with his/her head screwed on right can come up with just by thinking a little bit. The 4.3L engine mention shows me that the author is pretty far behind the times.

The 2GR could be tuned far in excess of 350hp if Toyota wanted to... the current IS350 variant already makes quite a bit more than 306hp. Dynos indicate more like 320-330 (250whp on a mustang dyno through an auto tranny? come on! 306bhp my ****!). I'd venture to say 375hp would be easily doable (or even more) if VVTL-I were included in the package Too bad no american-sold Toyotas have it.
Toyota would want a V6 version of the Supra to compete with the 350Z and a V8 version to compete with the new GT-R. However I bet the new Supra will disappoint a lot of people who think that the next Supra will be a monster like the MKIV. Like I mentioned before the true beauty of the MKIV was its bulletproof 2JZ-GTE with unlimited possibilities. While the 2GR has potential, it is not really a tuner engine, but something very efficient from factory. The JDM market will probably concentrate on playing with the new GT-R
Old 10-03-06, 04:10 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It will be kind of ridiculous if Toyota doesn't produce a Supra by 2010.

Why?

- Because Toyota is the most successful and richest automaker in the world and yet has NO sports car. Solara certainly doesn't count. Celica, MR2, already gone.

- Because Toyota could easily sell it for no profit and everything would be just fine for them.

- Because Toyota needs an image boosting car (in the eyes of younger consumers) for more success in future sales.

- Because everyone wants a Supra!

Old 10-03-06, 04:29 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wonder what direction Toyota would go with the new Supra. A 350 HP V6 doesn't really sound that appealing since the IS350 is already making 306, and within a couple of years when this supposed Supra will be release will surely be making more (Maybe around 320HP). What I personally would like to see is Toyota make use of the outgoing GS300 3.0L V6 engine and add twin turboes to it for 380+ HP. Part of the whole appeal with the Supra is it is a great tuner car. Tuners don't care too much how good a car is out of the box stock. They care about the potential.
Old 10-04-06, 08:26 AM
skeet94
Driver

The 2GR engine has been out on the market for how long?

The 2JZ-GTE's potential was realised after quite some time after the car was released. Hell a stroker came out not long ago...after some 12 years after the cars release.

Give the 2GR a chance ...trust me there will be ALOT of people in the land of the rising sun demanding parts/modifications for this engine.
Old 10-04-06, 09:43 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLSC4
It will be kind of ridiculous if Toyota doesn't produce a Supra by 2010.

Why?

- Because Toyota is the most successful and richest automaker in the world and yet has NO sports car. Solara certainly doesn't count. Celica, MR2, already gone.

- Because Toyota could easily sell it for no profit and everything would be just fine for them.

- Because Toyota needs an image boosting car (in the eyes of younger consumers) for more success in future sales.

- Because everyone wants a Supra!

isnt that what the scion line is for? i think the scion needs a boost right now. they need to transfer over the mr2 and supra heritage into that line. they already have the celica (TC) and matrix (xA). imagine an affordable convert and sports coupe with a v6 engine, teens will flock to it.
Old 10-04-06, 10:07 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r4z0r3ck
isnt that what the scion line is for? i think the scion needs a boost right now. they need to transfer over the mr2 and supra heritage into that line. they already have the celica (TC) and matrix (xA). imagine an affordable convert and sports coupe with a v6 engine, teens will flock to it.
I thought the xA was like the Yaris or something...? Anyway, if Toyota were to make a Supra and make it 380+HP plus twin turbos I think that the car might quickly become out of the 350Z range, if that is indeed its' target market. A varient of the GR would probably be best suited for it in this case sharing an IS platform. If the new Supra, reaches the MKIV price range it will definitely not be competing with the 350Z, at least as far as price goes. Scion seems to do well with appealing to younger drivers IMO, most of the Scion drivers seem to be from the younger age groups. Scion might benefit though from a sportier coupe than the tC though.
Old 10-04-06, 10:29 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

if i were toyota i would create the supra with the same engine as the IS350/GS350. to keep the price down just make the interior very similar to the TC in terms of what's standard and what's optional. 25k-30k seems to be the right price which will be a 350z, rx-8 competitor. and of course throw a scion badge on it and rename it. i think they should kill the supra line permanently just like they did the celica. but everybody knows the TC is the celica.
Old 10-04-06, 01:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet94
The 2GR engine has been out on the market for how long?

The 2JZ-GTE's potential was realised after quite some time after the car was released. Hell a stroker came out not long ago...after some 12 years after the cars release.

Give the 2GR a chance ...trust me there will be ALOT of people in the land of the rising sun demanding parts/modifications for this engine.
I agree. No one really knows what kind of strength the new GR motor has. It obviously breathes VERY well NA... back in 96 or 97 you didn't have bolton parts that can make 700whp... hell, in other cars you still don't
Which on a 2jz motor, its simply a turbo + accessories, fuel upgrade, and AEM swap away. Doesnt involve anything more major than pulling the front bumper off for a nicely-sized front mount.

I'd bet the GR in IS and GS form isnt as brittle as the VQ motor from Nissan.... the biggest problem now, is the lack of transmission options...
Old 10-04-06, 09:19 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just came back from Japanese bookstore.

The latest issue of the scoops type of magazine stated that the Supra will have 2 engines, but not the V8 as we suspected. It said that the base Supra will use the 3.5 V6 with 350hp (expected)..

but get this, the high-end model will be a 3.5 V6 HYBRID, using 3rd generation Hybrid Synergy Drive, and producing over 450hp.

I think that's pretty logical. The GTR already has that type of power. Instead of going V8, V6-hybrid could possibly produce as much, but with much better fuel economy.

But instead of turbo kits for the Supra, the aftermarket will be developing battery kits

Quick Reply: New Road & Track magazine: 2008 Toyota Supra??