Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sorry, friends...the new Volvo S80 review will have to wait.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Sorry, friends...the new Volvo S80 review will have to wait.

I got a few requests from both on and off CL to review the new 2007 Volvo S80 ( the classic safety-mobile, of course, in a number of areas ), and promised to do so. Unfortunately, Volvo has delayed the introduction of this car...it will not be available in this area for 3-5 more months, though it will still be classed as a 2007 and not a 2008. Test-drives should be available sometime between December and February, though some dealerships are taking advance orders for the S80 with deposits. The new model, for the first time, will be available with both a 6 and a 4.4L, 311 HP V8.....I will test-drive the V8, of course.

In the meantime, there are a number of good advance write-ups and reviews on the Internet. Here are some of them:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...07/212630.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...volvo-s80.html

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/01/...rated-engines/

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-06 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-30-06, 02:50 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I wonder why the delay?

The Early bird gets the worm.

I believe it's already on sale in Europe, is there an indication that they delay bringing it over b/c it's in short supply or is there an issue that they need to get squared away?

I am looking to buy a AWD sedan in the next 1 year (maybe) or so.

I'll be looking forward to your review especially in regards to the S80 vs the RL and M35x.

One thing I noticed is the RL is a heavy car near or over 4000 lbs, I believe the S80 will weigh a good bit less (not sure for a fact with the V8 and AWD will have to wait and see about that).

If you're taking requests please test the MDX in the meantime (if you can) thanks
Old 09-30-06, 02:57 PM
rai
Lead Lap

PS: the interior of the S80 looks tight (slang meaning).
Old 09-30-06, 03:00 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

So, you just go to dealerships and just act like you might buy the vechile in question, then come back and tell us about? Or is driving different vechiles part of your job or something like that?
Richard
Old 09-30-06, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
So, you just go to dealerships and just act like you might buy the vechile in question, then come back and tell us about? Or is driving different vechiles part of your job or something like that?
Richard
Not really...it's a little more involved than that...but not part of my job, which is in aviation, charting, and Flight Procedures ( I am also a licensed pilot and Ground Instructor, but that is not officially part of my job, but of course it helps )

Sometimes, at dealerships, I do as you state. ( sometimes I actually end up BUYING the vehicle, as with the new Subaru Outback....I was impressed with it from the moment I first saw it, as I first was with the 2001 Lexus IS300, one of which I also bought ) Sometimes I shop with others in the market. Sometimes I do it for my own curiosity or because I'm shopping MYSELF. Sometimes by special request. Some salespeople I know even ASK me sometimes to test a vehicle because they want my opinion of it. One of my best friends drives limos and company cars, chauffers people around, and is always asking my opinion of this or that car....his company has bought several cars I recommended, Sometimes I'll attend those new-car demonstration events in parking lots, stadiums, etc.....where the public is invited to drive the vehicles.

I spend a lot of time helping others shop and get their own cars. People often come to me for help. In fact, next week I'll probably be shopping with our Union President ( our Federal Employee Union Local ) for a new car. He came to me last week for help and advice.

I posted this thread primarily as a courtesy because a few people requested an S80 write-up and the new car's introduction is going to be delayed for a while...in the meantime there are already some good preliminary write-ups on the Internet.

And of course I can't spend 24 hours a day looking at cars.....I've got a job to do, a house to run, and a life to live as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-06 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-30-06, 10:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I actually cant wait to drive this car. I sat in it at the autoshow earlier this year and I must say they got rid most of that unattractive hard plastic that covered the entire dashboard on the previous S80 (and the S60, V70, and XC90). Just about everything is soft to the touch and I'm not even going to lie, the softness of the leather definitely rivaled Lexus's buttery soft leather. Its not your typical stiff European leather that can be found in some Bimmers and MB's. Nice well thought out guages. Its gonna be a GREAT car for Volvo fans thats for sure. Plus it looks damn good!!

Volvo might not be about having the latest gadgets and all out luxury, but they always make there cars very functional and easy to deal with(Im not talking about reliablity). I for one actually like their approach.
Old 09-30-06, 11:08 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I am totally ignorant to volvo.
A friend had an S40 as loaner (for her jeep) and the quality wasn't that great. The trims around the windows (inside and outside) were coming off. Engine was loud. It drove ok. The doors felt cheap and weak when you closed them.
I sure didn't feel safe or like a tank.
I don't understand who would buy this car when there are obviously better cars in this range.
I hope the S80 is a much, much better product than this one.
Old 09-30-06, 11:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep, the S40 in my opinion is not a great example. Plus its waaay overpriced and rediculously small. However it is still an improvement over the crap first gen S40. Considering that it was a loaner I am sure it was the non turbo model I-5 model. Very very thrashy motor with little get up and go. It pains me at how horrible it sounds. The turbo model on the other hand sounds good. Partly because of the different exhaust set up. But it does have a Corolla/Civic like feel to it that shouldnt be apparent in a 25K car.

I used to think that it was a mediocre alternative to other cars in its class and even midsize mainstream vehicles, but everyone has easily surpassed the S40 in a blink of an eye. Subpar in just about all areas.
Old 10-01-06, 04:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Yep, the S40 in my opinion is not a great example. Plus its waaay overpriced and rediculously small. However it is still an improvement over the crap first gen S40. Considering that it was a loaner I am sure it was the non turbo model I-5 model. Very very thrashy motor with little get up and go. It pains me at how horrible it sounds. The turbo model on the other hand sounds good. Partly because of the different exhaust set up. But it does have a Corolla/Civic like feel to it that shouldnt be apparent in a 25K car.

I used to think that it was a mediocre alternative to other cars in its class and even midsize mainstream vehicles, but everyone has easily surpassed the S40 in a blink of an eye. Subpar in just about all areas.

The new S40, BTW, is done on the same platform as the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus, but, not surprisingly, as you point out, is priced higher than the other two. Whether it is overpriced or not, I can't say, not having reviewed the new model. I DID drive the old model several years ago and was not terribly impressed with it except for its turbo power. It was a joint Volvo-Mitsubishi design built in Holland with a Mitsu transmission. Volvo obviously tried to keep costs down on that car.
Old 10-01-06, 04:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I am totally ignorant to volvo.
A friend had an S40 as loaner (for her jeep) and the quality wasn't that great. The trims around the windows (inside and outside) were coming off. Engine was loud. It drov e ok. The doors felt cheap and weak when you closed them.
I sure didn't feel safe or like a tank.
I don't understand who would buy this car when there are obviously better cars in this range.
I hope the S80 is a much, much better product than this one.
Cheer up, friend .....you are not ignorant by any means. Just what you posted here shows some good ability to size up a car.

Volvos, however, despite having numerous safety features as an asset, in general are not Lexus-like in reliability. Most of the people I know who have owned them have had problems ranging from minor to serious.