Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Deadly Street Racing Accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 10:42 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Deadly Street Racing Accident

In Laguna Hills, CA

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1289042.php

The myspace profile of the driver that died.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=32463092

Keep it off the streets...
Old 09-28-06, 10:52 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted for questioning.
Old 09-28-06, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

"Law enforcement's frustration with racing on the public roadway is not only that these youths don't recognize the harm to themselves, but also that they fail to recognize the danger they pose to the rest of the motoring and pedestrian public," said Capt. Jack Anderson, the sheriff's commander of South County Operations. "They don't look at the consequences of behavior."
That is pure bull ******. These kids know the risks. To say otherwise is to insult their intelligence and ours. I've actually seen and listened to some of these kids being interviewed. They are not idiots. They know they can get hurt or killed, but they admit, by their very own words, that they simply love street racing so much they are willing to take that chance, risk or no risk. What can you do with kids like that? Take their licenses? They just do it without one. As long as kids have physical access to cars, this is going to happen, at least to some extent.
Old 09-28-06, 11:34 AM
anwar1337
Driver

I agree with mmarshall. Putting that kid in jail for "vehicular manslaughter" and driving a car with blah blah blah is messed up.. :\ It was both of their decisions to race, but because 1 died the other goes to jail? That's not cool.
Old 09-28-06, 11:59 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So Im still confused here... Did the CLK win? lol j/k

I think that is what happens when teens get cars like that (M3/CLK55). They are going to do stupid things. I think though that putting the other kid in jail is a bit harsh and extreme.

Is this kids myspace going to end up on that mydeathspace thing or whatever it was?
Old 09-28-06, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't get me wrong, guys. I didn't say that kids that engage in reckless driving shouldn't be held accountable for it just because so many of them don't listen. In fact, it is just the opposite.....they SHOULD be held accountable because they KNOW what they are doing and they KNOW the risks. Reckless driving through ignorance is one thing ( and few people are really that dumb, or else they wouldn't have a license )......reckless driving when you KNOW better ( as is the case with most kids ) is quite another matter.
Old 09-28-06, 01:12 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

the other guy deserves to go to jail. He participated in a race that resulted in someone dying. If he didn't race, no one would have died.
Old 09-28-06, 01:18 PM
ShadyJC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I think that is what happens when teens get cars like that (M3/CLK55).
I'm 100% with you here. There should be a cap, like 10X your age for horsepower of the car you drive.
Old 09-28-06, 01:43 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
I'm 100% with you here. There should be a cap, like 10X your age for horsepower of the car you drive.
another way for "big brother" to control us. When you get your driver's license, they should have horsepower rate to which you can handle.
Old 09-28-06, 01:46 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadyJC
Not all young people suck at driving and irresponsible.
Old 09-28-06, 02:24 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Agreed. Plus with the horsepower craze we have here, how many 160+ HP cars are there left that a teenager would want to drive.
Old 09-28-06, 02:48 PM
Sunman222
Driver School Candidate

The crash looked pretty terrible. Thank god the two passengers in the M3 didn't die as well. I have to disagree about these "kids" knowing the risk. It is quite obvious that they don't when they decided to race on the streets while putting the lives of their passengers in danger. If they really understood the "risk", they would of had roll cages installed, wore helmets, raced on a track by themselves.

The guy is partly responsible for the other driver's death. This isn't monopoly, you don't get a "get out of jail for free" card in real life.

It bugs me when people start making excuses for the actions of others. Especially when the result is death.

Last edited by Sunman222; 09-28-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 03:36 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That is pure bull ******. These kids know the risks.
They may be aware that there are risks, but I doubt that they fully realize what those are, or pay any attention to the possibility of what might happen if they go forward with the race. And I seriously doubt that they consider at all what might happen to innocent motorists or bystanders. "What could possibly happen? We're just having fun."

The term nieve comes to mind, and I think it fits this type of situation very well.
Old 09-28-06, 03:54 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They're all stuck with the "It'll never happen to me" mentality.
Old 09-28-06, 04:31 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the CLK55 should be in jail, its the M3's own action that made that accident happen, if he said no the first place, this wouldnt happen.

Originally Posted by Koma
Agreed, some people suck at driving, old or young, even grown ups crash in a 100hp car. But young people are more cockier, they think that they can handle it when they cant.

Quick Reply: Deadly Street Racing Accident