Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Temporary registration in the DC area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 05:34 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temporary registration in the DC area?

Quick Q

My friends sister just started school at John Hopkins University in the Washington DC area, she is going to be there for at least two years. My friend is about to ship her car, and she's doesn't know what to do about the CA license plates.
Is there a temporary permit that she can get from the DC DMV?
Or can she keep her CA plates on for at least 2 or more years?
Thanks
Old 09-27-06, 07:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If i remember correctly, as long as she is a student, then she does not have to transfer registration over. It is only when she declares residency in the area, will she have to register the car here in MD. I live like 5 minutes from John Hopkins University and see plenty of out of town plates on the students cars there. May wanna call Maryland DMV to double check to be positive. I believe the information I gave is correct though.
Old 09-27-06, 07:52 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks I'll let her know.
Old 09-28-06, 07:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I used to live in DC. She can keep her CA plates, but it is a major PITA to get an on street parking permit. I know for the Georgetown area they absoutely will not give you one if you are not a resident and have out-of-state plates.

I went to Georgetown for undergrad and had Florida plates on my BMW and I had to pay about $120 USD a month for underground parking near GU.

I think in some of the other wards, it is possible to get a reciprocity sticker...at least when I was there. I also did some graduate work at Johns Hopkins in the DC area (not the Balitmore campus) and I fortunately the zone sticker (once I got DC plats) I had on my car was just inside where one of the DC campuses was...so no problem with on street parking while I went to class.

As long as she has some place to park off street at home and when going to school no problem.

The meter maids are very vigilant in DC.