Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X1 Baby SUV . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 08:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default BMW X1 Baby SUV . . .

BMW has kicked off a top secret plan for a baby SUV – the X1 – to take on Toyota's Rav4. The junior 'X' model will mix a 1-series footprint with the X3's four-wheel drive. The four-seat X1 will run four- and six-cylinder engines, and arrive in showrooms in 2010.

What it does and how it looks
BMW predicts that the mid-size SUV market will double by 2016. And the cheapest X car will be pitched at the largest sector of the market, targeting young families, active singles and empty nesters. Those punters want vehicles with a higher seating position, decent safety, extra space and a premium interior, but they are not obsessed with status-through-size and high-performance engines. Like its competitors, the X1 won't be a hardcore mud-wrestler but a tall, pumped up estate, which majors on visibility and versatility.

Under the skin
The X1 is part 1-series, part new X3. The large wheels and beefed up suspension come from the X3, but the body structure, drivetrains and electronics are familiar from the 1-series. There's a big benefit from the mostly car-based DNA: the X1's target weight is 1535kg, more than 200kg lighter than an X3 2.0i.

Power comes from four and sixpot petrol and diesels, feeding power to all four wheels. Expect six-speed manual 'boxes and an optional six-speed auto mated to the 180bhp and 231bhp diesels and the 3.0-litre six petrol.

The chassis will get its fair share of safety acronyms. Stability control, HDC hill descent control and DBC dynamic brake force distribution will all feature. Other gizmos will include CBC cornering brake control, TSC trailer stability control and DTC (dynamic traction control). Active steering and Dynamic Drive (adjustable anti-roll bars) are likely options, but air suspension won't figure.

The inside story
The smallest X model will measure around 4350mm, a little shorter than the Freelander peer group. At 1680mm, the roofline is some 250mm taller than a 1-series'.

BMW’s product planners currently have the X1 down as a four-seater. The rear seats will slide back and forth and fold flat, and this flexibility should enable the accommodation of an optional, fifth jump seat. The cabin should be light and airy, thanks to three different roof modules: full length tinted glass; twin sunroofs; or a targa roof with removable elements.

While crossover concept cars keep experimenting with two doors or rear suicide doors, expect to access the BMW via four front-hinged doors. This configuration offers optimum side impact protection and is less expensive to assemble than other, more exotic concepts.

How much and when ?
Expect the X1 to cost from around £23,000 in the UK. That estimate is based on an internal document which states that the base model will be priced at less than €30,000, which makes it around €3500 less expensive than an entry-level X3 and €7000 Euros cheaper than the four-wheel drive 325ix Touring sold in mainland Europe. Naturally it's costlier than a comparable 1-series – but the €5000 includes a €2500 extra charge for four-wheel drive.

BMW may well outsource production to the Magna-Steyr factory near Graz, where the X3 is currently built. To make room for the new arrival, the X3 Mk2 would have to move from Austria to Spartanburg or Regensburg. The product planners expect to shift around 100,000 X1s a year.

Words: Georg Kacher
source : carmagazine.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails BMW X1 Baby SUV . . .-xxx.jpg  
Old 09-26-06, 09:25 PM
LexFather

Clearly no matter how it looks, it will sell like hotcakes. I prefer them move upmarket though, not a X1....

Old 09-27-06, 12:27 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the back.

The front reminds me of Mufasa's brother... what's his name?
Old 09-27-06, 04:32 AM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow BMW does it again.. the X3 was already a ***** car, now this? What is it competeing against? The Honda Element, Scion TC?
Old 09-27-06, 05:42 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice I love the bodywork. Another cute ute for me to get on top of the x3 and Rav4
Old 09-27-06, 06:25 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Why not make the X3 look like that instead looks good to me but if this is a baby SUV whats the X3 ? teenage SUV ?!

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The front reminds me of Mufasa's brother... what's his name?
Scar
Old 09-27-06, 08:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ
Why not make the X3 look like that instead looks good to me but if this is a baby SUV whats the X3 ? teenage SUV ?!

Scar
I agree. the X3 to me is an embarrassment...though this X1 does look pretty good. The suspension is absolutely horrible on the X3, felt like the tires were bolted to the side without shocks.
Old 09-27-06, 09:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I agree. the X3 to me is an embarrassment...though this X1 does look pretty good. The suspension is absolutely horrible on the X3, felt like the tires were bolted to the side without shocks.
What! have you driven one? I own one and the suspension is great imo. no body roll whatsoever, .88g's skidpad numbers beats out Bimmer's own 550I sport. I am in NYC with potholes, and this SAV glides over the bumps with quiet aplomb. Not harsh at all.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 09-27-06 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 11:46 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW has kicked off a top secret plan for a baby SUV – the X1 – to take on Toyota's Rav4.
Last time I checked, BMW was considered a premium brand.
Old 09-27-06, 11:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Last time I checked, BMW was considered a premium brand.
So is the even more "prestigious" Mercedes, which have the A and B class the rest of the world & those aren't luxury class cars. They want to play in more market segments, more sales = more $, & they already have the 1 series,so might as well a X1 too . . .
Old 09-27-06, 12:46 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

this is what ruined all the high end german cars reputations 10+ years ago.....selling entry level crap with 4 cylinders. Its exactly why no one takes acura seriously because they have entry level cars that are too cheap. Its one mistake that lexus has never made, the smallest engine ever in any lexus (North American at least) is a v6. They don't make the mistake of having 4 cylinders with a high end badge.
Old 09-27-06, 01:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

better headlights than the 3 series, and of all things its on the X1
Old 09-28-06, 07:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
What! have you driven one? I own one and the suspension is great imo. no body roll whatsoever, .88g's skidpad numbers beats out Bimmer's own 550I sport. I am in NYC with potholes, and this SAV glides over the bumps with quiet aplomb. Not harsh at all.
I have and have a few other friends who HAVE OWNED them and they could not handle Mexico City streets better than a car.

I do not doubt other facets of the X3 as you mentioned. It does handle very well otherwise.

However, in the case of my friends they were expecting to be better than a car in terms of suspension since after all it is an SUV...and it simply was not the case.

The RAV4 does a better job here than the X3 in the suspension department.

Mexico City can destroy shocks and struts very quickly.
Old 09-28-06, 05:25 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

The X3 is already too small for a normal human to fit into...
Old 09-28-06, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Not sure what Dashocker is talking aobut b/c in every single review I have seen in America and in Europe, the X3 is basically the worst BMW of all time.

Not sporty, no utility, a mess......

Quick Reply: BMW X1 Baby SUV . . .