Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3-yr old buys $17,000 pink convertible!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 03:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking 3-yr old buys $17,000 pink convertible!

Mom accidentally left her eBay account open...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060926/od_nm/life_boy1_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - Jack Neal briefly became the proud owner of a pink convertible car after he managed to buy it for 9,000 pounds ($17,000) on the Internet despite being only three years old.

Jack's mother told the BBC she had left her password for the eBay auction site in her computer and her son used the "buy it now" option to complete the purchase.
Smart kid!!! But I'ver never heard of a "Nissan Figaro," much less seen a pink one. And to sell at $17,000!

The auction owner was very understanding and what an interesting saga for his car (what a purchase? resale difficulties anyone?). Maybe he will get some good bids this time, after relisting. Nothing like free publicity!
Attached Thumbnails 3-yr old buys ,000 pink convertible!-2006_09_26t080016_450x356_us_life_boy1.jpg  
Old 09-26-06, 03:15 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suuuuuuuuuuuure it was the kid
Old 09-26-06, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe this kid will grow up to be the next Elvis Presley. Elvis bought a number of pink convertibles...the pink '59 Caddy with the outlandish grille, huge fins, and bullet-shaled taillights was a classic.
(So much for pink being a feminine auto color...in fact it was very popular in the mid-late 50's )
Old 09-27-06, 12:11 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW .........
Old 09-27-06, 12:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Skulinex
suuuuuuuuuuuure it was the kid

i agree

me thinks the mom backed out of the deal so she uses her son as an excuse

how a 3 year old is able to navigate through the internet..who knows.
Old 09-27-06, 12:55 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

So she comes out having avoided a hefty bill, gets a fair bit of publicity, and her kid gets hailed as a computer genius???!!! A win-win scenario!
Old 09-27-06, 03:58 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GSteg
i agree

me thinks the mom backed out of the deal so she uses her son as an excuse

how a 3 year old is able to navigate through the internet..who knows.

Kids now days will surprise you what they can do on the computer. It also depends on exactly how old her 3 year old is. Could be closer to 4 years old? My son who just turned 3 a couple weeks ago was already going on the Bobthebuilder website and playing the activities game and such. Obviously I had enter the URL myself, but once there they can use the mouse and do a lot of the games and activities pretty well. Sometimes I look and all kinds of websites are open in multiple pages.

Anyway, if she left her browser on the ebay page I can very well see a 3 year old randomly clicking and hitting the "Buy it Now" especially if they saw you doing it before. I'm very surprised at how they remember where to click the mouse even if they don't really understand what they are doing.
Old 09-27-06, 10:20 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, wouldn't one have to do more than just hit the "Buy It Now" button in order to complete the transaction? IIRC there are a few more buttons to click on before the BIN transaction is complete...no? Not to say that it's impossible for a 3-year old to have done such a feat, but any online vendor would be smart enough to put measures in place so as to prevent sales transactions from being processed from beginning to end just by performing one--and only one--click.
Old 09-27-06, 10:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

saw this on the news, funny.
Old 09-27-06, 02:02 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's more to "Buy-It-Now" than just clicking it and a clicking and a few other things. Since it's a Buy-It-Now auction, it will be final, so it's a lot more stuff than the regular bidding.
Old 09-27-06, 02:34 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by toneman
Well, wouldn't one have to do more than just hit the "Buy It Now" button in order to complete the transaction? IIRC there are a few more buttons to click on before the BIN transaction is complete...no? Not to say that it's impossible for a 3-year old to have done such a feat, but any online vendor would be smart enough to put measures in place so as to prevent sales transactions from being processed from beginning to end just by performing one--and only one--click.

It does take more than one click. I think it takes two clicks. When you hit the "But it Now" button it refreshes to another screen that you now have to click "Confirm". Once that is done though you bought it. You didn't pay for it yet obviously, but the auction is over. But that is why I said you'd be surprised at how kids can remember the sequence of buttons even if they don't know what it does. I know my 3 year old can't read yet (At least I don't think he can) but he can click the buttons on the screen to get to the games and activities he likes by himself just by memory and shape recognition I would guess.
Old 09-27-06, 02:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I think it's absolutely plausible that the 'Buy it Now' thing can be done really quickly by a little kid, if the password was saved on the computer. Having done 'Buy it Now' myself quite a few times, they make it really easy on you.
Old 09-27-06, 03:27 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't forget you also have to log into your Paypal account afterwards, if that's how you're paying.
Old 09-27-06, 03:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
Don't forget you also have to log into your Paypal account afterwards, if that's how you're paying.
agreed, which is why I dont buy that story

If anyone can show me how to pay for my ebay item without loggin ginto paypal, let me know Then again, we dont know if she uses paypal or not. llol
Old 09-27-06, 03:35 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
agreed, which is why I dont buy that story

If anyone can show me how to pay for my ebay item without loggin ginto paypal, let me know Then again, we dont know if she uses paypal or not. llol
Maybe the kid used cash

Quick Reply: 3-yr old buys $17,000 pink convertible!