Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Current style trend... high shoulders and rear trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 02:10 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Current style trend... high shoulders and rear trunk

Are we semi-old farts the only people who can not abide by these current trends. We have been driving with one arm on the window sill since 1968, and the angle at which these new sills place your arm is ridiculous. It's even worse for small folk like my 5'4" wife. I could see rotator-cuff surgery in her future.

And forget about rear-window visibility; the difference between my gen-2 GS and the new GS and ES is insane. Why even bother...save on the glass and defroster circuitry, and just put a camera on the trunk lid and a trained gerbil in the glove box to scream when there's a problem on your tail.
Old 09-25-06, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by robertito
Are we semi-old farts the only people who can not abide by these current trends. We have been driving with one arm on the window sill since 1968, and the angle at which these new sills place your arm is ridiculous. It's even worse for small folk like my 5'4" wife. I could see rotator-cuff surgery in her future.

And forget about rear-window visibility; the difference between my gen-2 GS and the new GS and ES is insane. Why even bother...save on the glass and defroster circuitry, and just put a camera on the trunk lid and a trained gerbil in the glove box to scream when there's a problem on your tail.
I am with you on the high shoulders and rear trunk. Not only does it make the DRIVER's visibility bad but the guy driving behind that car, can't see a thing around that big ole trunk!!

Its as bad as a SUV, most of these new cars. Small windows, high roof and giant bumpers. I can't see a thing.

Cars are just getting bigger and bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier and heavier.

Old 09-25-06, 03:04 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get a Prius, if it had any chance of surviving a collision with an Escalade.

I guess it's time to start modding the '01 GS (after reading this board for 61 months).
Old 09-26-06, 08:36 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am with you on this one. I see people in these new cars and it looks like they are all peeking up over the door, you see them from their eyes up. I rode with a friend in a 88 or 89 Range rover the door sill was dang near even with my lap and boy talk about being able to see everything and yes it was very comfy well except for the boat on ruff water effect. But yeah I hear ya. The world has gone sport and sleek with ports and slits for windows.
Old 09-26-06, 05:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the higher trunklid/shoulder line does increase cargo capacity on some designs. As for the front, I don't mind the sloping design because that means less of the length of the car is wasted with the engine compartment and more of it for the passenger compartment. Also using the driver's footrest gives you a good idea of where the front wheel is, especially the left front.

But as for the back, yeah, I sorta had to devise ways around it (none of our cars have sensors or cameras). Either using the right wing mirror as well as the reflection of the reverse lights (if backing into a wall) or judging where the base of the window is with regards to the vehicle behind.
Old 09-26-06, 06:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertito

Isn't that the reason they have comfortably padded arm rests at a perfect height? Why drive with the window down anyway?

These design trends just make cars look way better. We don't want cars looking the same as 20 years ago.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-26-06, 08:40 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever try sitting with your arm hanging out of a G35 coupe? Talk about awkward.
Old 09-26-06, 08:43 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually prefer the current trend. When I got the SC, I thought it was wierd, the window sill was high and the door armrest actually felt comfortable. The SC sill now seems low compared to newer cars, but I still prefer keeping all arms and legs in the ride at all times!
Old 09-26-06, 09:08 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I agree with robertito on this one. I've constantly complained about current designs where the greenhouse is getting ridiculously small.

I parked my SC400 next to a new GS350 this afternoon at the Target parking lot and there was about an 8 inch difference between the height of my window and the GS. And my car is on stock suspension!
Old 09-27-06, 04:20 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Blame the prevalence and popularity of trucks and SUVs for the rising belt lines and "chunkiness" of cars these days. Cars need to be able to survive side and rear impacts with gas guzzling behemoths that are piloted by cell phone wielding inattentive drivers.

I miss cars with sleek profiles.
Old 09-27-06, 04:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
I miss cars with sleek profiles.

Today's designs are far sleeker than ever which is partly due to these high waistlines and high decklids. The MB CLS is the definition of sleek
(especially for a sedan) and the CLS has a very high waistline.

What's your argument that older cars are sleeker? Just curious.
Old 09-27-06, 06:20 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Today's designs are far sleeker than ever which is partly due to these high waistlines and high decklids. The MB CLS is the definition of sleek
(especially for a sedan) and the CLS has a very high waistline.

What's your argument that older cars are sleeker? Just curious.

As much as I like the styling of the CLS, it pains me to see people sitting in the front and passenger seats. They look like they're looking outside of a submarine considering the minimal amount of glass in the greenhouse.

Most CLS owners I've talked to say the visibility in these cars truly suck.