Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura - the technology brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 08:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Acura - the technology brand

Over the years on CL and other boards there's been a ton of discussion about whether Acura is a luxury brand or not, and why or whether they really compete with other Japanese brands Lexus and Infiniti, or European brands (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, etc., etc.).

Lately I've been thinking Acura really isn't a luxury brand (no news there) but has really carved a new niche - technology.

I believe Acura to be MORE innovative than most other 'premium' brands.

The boldest statement was an early one, the NSX. STILL breathtaking in its design, 'user-friendliness', lightweight almost all aluminum chassis and body, and great engine.

The 2nd gen Legend sedan and coupe could be had with a 230HP engine and 6 speed stick, back in 1994! The 1st gen Lexus GS was a slug in comparison.

The 1st gen RL certainly took Acura off track with a vehicle that was neither innovative nor inspiring.

The Vigor, while a bit odd, was innovative with a smooth *5* cylinder (almost an oxymoron).

Moving forward, the latest TL has been a home run partly because you get SO MUCH TECHNOLOGY in a "take it or leave it" package. Full surround sound DVD-audio support (I don't think ANY car had it then or maybe since).

The new RL is a tour-de-force of technology. SH-AWD is a real innovation. The navigation has live traffic monitoring.

We all know that Acura's are rarely the fastest, best handling, most luxurious, but what they do offer is great technology at relatively affordable prices.

Even the new RL, which some have said is overpriced, and which certainly hasn't sold well, can't be matched technologically for the price. The GS350AWD is probably closest, but with nav/ml it is over $50K.

It was really brought home by the advertising for the new RDX. Very cool technical advertising positioning the car like a very confident and capable 'gadget'. The high tech turbo-4, the SH-AWD, the nav with traffic support, it's definitely a cool tech toy.

So I submit that Acura's focus isn't really luxury, it's technology and engineering, appealing to those without very deep pocket or maybe 'anti-establishment' consumers, who don't want a 'prestigous' brand.

Acura's focus allows them to not get sucked into the HUGELY expensive marketing warfare between brands like Lexus and Mercedes. BMW is a different story, still primarily marketing performance and drivetrain/handling 'competence', another unique niche. Lexus does have a lot of technology, but it's usually applied to make their vehicles even LESS engaging to drive, more luxurious, more innocuous and quiet and something you don't have to think about.

I post this so that we stop trying to directly compare Acura with other brands. They're just... different.
Old 09-24-06, 08:57 PM
LexFather

Thank you Bit! I agree, they have carved their niche and are good at it. I won't agree completely they are the "technology" brand though and to be honest the RD-X ads leave me scratching my head.

THey basically sell loaded cars with maybe 1 option package at a very low price in most cases and the Honda loyal have responded as well as some people from other brands.

Its a forumla that works!

Old 09-24-06, 08:59 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i definitely agree.

Acura's vehicles are not the fastest, nor are they the most luxurious--but they do pack a lot of innovation and technology in a very well-priced package. I was very impressed with the TL and its driving dynamics (despite its FWD-ness) and its easy-to-use "cockpit" controls.

my friend's new TSX is just a smaller, cheaper alternative with just as many features. i think they would make great buys for people who are looking for a slightly better car that transports them in comfort and true reliability.
Old 09-24-06, 09:01 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.technoride.com/article/BM.../184014_1.aspx

Acura has quite a bit of technology, but they are not the leader according to this research group.
Old 09-24-06, 09:02 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Different

That pretty much sums up Honda/Acura. Their reckless way of marching to the beat of their own drummer is my love/hate relationship w/ them.This is probably a good thread to post part of a review that cracks me up but pretty much says it all in a nutshell:
Automotive.com Ridgeline Review
Lots of people in this world are smart, talented, adamantly set in their ways and can't be reasoned with. All of them work for Honda. More than any other, this is the company that insists on building cars one size small, two cylinders short, and front-wheel-drive whenever possible, just to name some examples. The combined forces of consumer cries, media slams, and withering sales gets the occasional concession - we got an all-wheel-drive Acura RL last year - but the rest of the time, Honda will be Honda or die trying.

Can you blame them? Whether because of or in spite of these methods, the products are doing just fine. Honda's taking a whack at pickup trucks now, the segment where body-on-frame construction, heavy-duty axles, rear and 4-wheel-drive, and multiple bodies are mandatory to make a passing grade. Honda decided to skip all of the above.

Insightful, ignorant, brave, suicidal - one prediction's as good as another. The only certainty is that a headstrong car company is charging into a segment contrary to everything it stands for, and the results promise to be interesting.

Old 09-24-06, 09:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mavericck

Acura has quite a bit of technology, but they are not the leader according to this research group.
It's one thing to cram a bunch of electronics into a car, but it's another thing to innovate.
Old 09-24-06, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Well what exact technology does Acura or other companies actully bring?
You can't say a nice stereo, that is outsourced.
You can't say NAV, car companies don't make NAV.

Clearly an AWD system, an engine, a tranny, that is TRUE technology developed by an auto company. I can't imagine how hard it is to create a hybrid, that maybe the toughtest of all.

So how exactly do we define what a car company BUYS and puts into the car from what they actually INNOVATE and create?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 09-24-06, 09:09 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's one thing to cram a bunch of electronics into a car, but it's another thing to innovate.
I'm not doubting Acura ability to innovate but I think there are other companies (Audi, Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, to name some) out there that have done far more spectacular things technologically and in terms of innovation.
Old 09-24-06, 09:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well what exact technology does Acura or other companies actully bring?
You can't say a nice stereo, that is outsourced.
You can't say NAV, car companies don't make NAV.

So how exactly do we define what a car company BUYS and puts into the car from what they actually INNOVATE and create?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Car makers usually work very closely with suppliers on design/features/cost of systems. Acura doesn't just ask Bose to make them a cool audio system for example. Plus, systems have to be integrated - like audio, climate control, navigation, telematics, phones, etc. This is DIFFICULT.
Old 09-24-06, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck

2 things... first, is cost. Technology can be had if money is no object. Acura offers it affordably, and arguably the best integrated.

BMW (leader in that article) has many innovative systems but they also have proabably the worst navigation system, worse 'user interface' (iDrive) and worst audio system (for the money) on the market.

MB has a lot of innovation (at a LOT of cost) but they've had a ton of glitches with it all. Buy an Acura (or Lexus) and it just works.
Old 09-24-06, 09:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
2 things... first, is cost. Technology can be had if money is no object. Acura offers it affordably, and arguably the best integrated.

BMW (leader in that article) has many innovative systems but they also have proabably the worst navigation system, worse 'user interface' (iDrive) and worst audio system (for the money) on the market.

MB has a lot of innovation (at a LOT of cost) but they've had a ton of glitches with it all. Buy an Acura (or Lexus) and it just works.
Can't argue here....good points....

Old 09-24-06, 09:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

VTEC! I think honda/acura was the first one to have variable valves technology in their motors with NSX. I might be wrong.
Old 09-24-06, 09:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

here is the history on valve timing control:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing
Old 09-24-06, 09:50 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

the only thing that is preventing me from getting an acura/honda is the lack of a rwd vehicle. im not a fan of awd nor fwd. honda cant be beat when it comes to bang for the buck.
Old 09-24-06, 09:54 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
VTEC! I think honda/acura was the first one to have variable valves technology in their motors with NSX. I might be wrong.
Sorry that was GM.

Quick Reply: Acura - the technology brand