Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 RL = $46,450; 2007 TL Type S = $38,795

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 08:32 AM
GS Kid 300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Acura needs to do is to make a higher class vehicle (7/S/LS)ish type and have the RL go up against the GS/M/5/E/A6 with a lower price point. But then again if they make a true flagship lets just say... Q45?
Old 09-24-06, 11:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD<AWD<RWD.

Acura at least needs to make AWD available across the line, to alleviate the negative reviews and comments about FWD. Supposively, they are trying to reposition the brand with a new solgan "Acura. Ahead." or something like that from what I remember. They're going to try to settle into what sells Acuras, not what necessarily competes with other cars, though I'm sure they will in come capacity. Identify themselves as a brand with a different way of doing things. AWD across the line and at LEAST a V8 option in the RL, which I really don't think is so unreasonable, would at least bump them up a peg or two from where they are now. The TL and new MDX are really the only two competitive, premium vehicles that they have now. The RL is left in the dust by the GS, M, A6, 5 Series, and E Class. The RDX and TSX compete with lower end cars from Honda's own stable, and even others from Mazda and Toyota.
Old 09-24-06, 11:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

SH-AWD will be seen in more acura vehicles. The TL doesn't have SH-AWD right now because it's still based on its older platform. You can't just do a whole change right in the middle of its lifespan. That's like asking Lexus to put a V8 in the RX all of the sudden.

It'll take time, just like how Nissan revamp their lineup. Doesn't take a day to do all that
Old 09-24-06, 01:01 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

I disagree on the looks. I think its one of the most agressive looking cars in its class.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I predicted it from the start but I was called by some a Honda basher
1. Lack of prestige
2. Bland looks
3. No V-8 option
4. Lack of effective marketing
5. Super competative and refreshed market

Again, not a bad car at all but for $50k people will be happy in a 184hp 525 instead to have the badge (as an example) and could care less about SH-AWD and A-spec, etc...
Old 09-24-06, 02:56 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I think in a few years, every Acura will have sh-AWD.
Old 09-24-06, 05:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G35_TX
I disagree on the looks. I think its one of the most agressive looking cars in its class.
Then you are alone. I haven't read anywhere people say it looks aggresive, in mag reviews or on the internet. It is not ugly or bad looking, it sure ain't head grabbing either.

I would think if you think the Rl is aggresive, then the CR-V is very aggresive, the Kia Rio is jaw dropping and the Toyota Yaris is menacing.....

Old 09-24-06, 05:15 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

How can you NOT think the RL is aggressive? It has a very in-your-face look, especially from the front. The TL and new MDX are also cars that have what I consider an aggressive look, i.e. they appeal to testosterone.

And to disagree with MPLexus301, I think Acura has a very strong lineup right now. The TSX, TL, and RL are all built like tanks, perform like race cars, and are priced to obliterate the competition. The MDX and RDX continue to sell like hotcakes for their combination of styling, features, build quality, and performance.
Old 09-24-06, 05:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The front end does have that "agressive" look to it. The headlight and grill makes the RL look aggressive from upfront. Acura certainly has all the fine details worked into the car. The only thing missing is the body shape. Certainly it does not look big like a Lexus LS430 or a BMW 7-series, but then again, the RL wasn't meant to compete with those cars, but rather the M35 and GS300, both in which are NOT flagship lines.
Old 09-24-06, 05:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
FWD<AWD<RWD.

This is true; however, the only FWD vehicle Acura currently offers are the TSX and TL, both in which are rumored to receive the SH-AWD treatment. The upcoming TSX with the supposed 2.3L turbo engine will be an even bigger hit than the current TSX.

Old 09-24-06, 05:33 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Aggrssive

Personally, I do not think it is all that aggressive looking except for the wicked bionic headlights.

To be a fair, there have a been a few reviews that used the term. I was looking for a funny one I read a while ago where the writer said if s/he saw one coming from behind s/he would get out of the way but was unsuccessful but here are a few I found along the way:

AutoMall USA
In front, a dramatically sloping hood leads down to an aggressive front fascia with angular headlight treatments, Acura's signature five-sided grille, and distinctive lower air intake openings.
About.com
The RL takes an aggressive stance with a high beltline and muscular rear haunches, while still retaining an elegance and air of luxury.
Elephant Scribbles
The wide flanks and muscular fender flares are part of Acura's new, more aggressive styling language. So are the big 17" wheels.
Babez.ed
The RL exterior's aggressive style foreshadows the power beneath the hood.

Old 09-24-06, 05:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Personally, I think the headlights are what makes cars aggressive or not, or at least they are highly accountable for the aggressiveness. You have a car with body lines that look busy, like the Mercedes C-class. But because of its headlights, it doesn't look aggressive. Now we take the Lexus IS250/350. All the panels are as plain as water, yet the headlights makes it look aggressive.
Old 09-24-06, 05:39 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not aggressive as in AMG aggressive, or M aggressive...but as a Japanese so-called "luxo cruiser" it's aggressive.
Old 09-24-06, 05:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS69
Personally, I do not think it is all that aggressive looking except for the wicked bionic headlights.

To be a fair, there have a been a few reviews that used the term. I was looking for a funny one I read a while ago where the writer said if s/he saw one coming from behind s/he would get out of the way but was unsuccessful but here are a few I found along the way:

AutoMall USA

About.com

Elephant Scribbles

Babez.ed

No offense but look at the sources your citing. You would FAIL a college writing exam with those links trying to support your arguement. Seriously.

This my friend is how you support an arguement

Motor Trend

Where the previous RL was an underperforming wallflower with faux Lexus LS 400 overtones, the new flagship aims to reassert Acura's technological leadership. Unfortunately, the new RL's exterior looks undistinguished compared with the rear-drive competition and lacks the brilliance of lesser Acura sedans like the Alfa Romeo-esque TL and TSX. The RL's short dash-to-axle perspective and large front overhang scream front-drive Accord-on-steroids.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._acura_rl.html

Car and Driver

FRED M.H. GREGORY
When I previewed the RL for the October 2004 issue of C/D, I said it was the first Acura that could be mentioned in the same breath with such luxury-class aristocrats as the BMW 5-series and Mercedes-Benz E-class. Since then, I've driven the RL back-to-back with its German rivals during our 10Best testing, and my opinion is unchanged. At the very least, the RL is as refined, comfortable, and competent as anything else in its class. And its elegantly engineered all-wheel-drive system may well be better than anything else around. My only quibble is subjective: The RL's styling is merely inoffensive. When Acura does an update, it should consult an Italian.
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...-rl-page3.html

Speaking of subjective, we are kinda debating something silly

And my lawd this is beating a dead horse....its like saying GM is in dire straits or Ford is in trouble....

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-06 at 05:50 PM.

Old 09-24-06, 05:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I really do like the current RL and am mystified at it's poor sales numbers. If in the market, I would be hard pressed deciding between the GS350 vs this car. Low level 5 Series would never enter my mind. The RL is a great car throughout. But as others have stated, move the nameplate up and bring aboard those V8's.
Old 09-24-06, 06:01 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
SH-AWD will be seen in more acura vehicles. The TL doesn't have SH-AWD right now because it's still based on its older platform. You can't just do a whole change right in the middle of its lifespan. That's like asking Lexus to put a V8 in the RX all of the sudden.

It'll take time, just like how Nissan revamp their lineup. Doesn't take a day to do all that
I don't really have any source, but from what I remember, the RL, TL, and North American Accord are all based off of the same platform. Also, I recall that there was a prototype Accord with SH-AWD. So it would be presumable that a TL with SH-AWD is possible, but for whatever reason, Honda doesn't choose to do so.

Quick Reply: 2007 RL = $46,450; 2007 TL Type S = $38,795