Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Eliminating the Excess: Ford sets out to slash 600 dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 07:40 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eliminating the Excess: Ford sets out to slash 600 dealerships

By DONNA HARRIS | AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 09/19/06, 8:25 am et

Ford Motor Co. wants to eliminate as many as 600 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealerships over three years through its store consolidation plan, sources close to the plan say.

Ford is quietly offering some dealers as much as $300,000 in financial aid to encourage dealership mergers and streamline its bloated retail network, dealers say.

On Jan. 1, Ford Motor had 4,396 U.S. dealerships, according to Automotive News' annual dealer census. Two sources familiar with the plan told Automotive News that the company seeks to trim its retail network by about 600 stores, largely by persuading weaker dealers in some metropolitan markets to sell out to stronger ones.

Dealers say Ford is offering cash selectively to some dealers in 18 large metropolitan markets, primarily in the Northeast and Midwest. But they say the $100,000 to $300,000 Ford is offering is not enough to compensate for their investments in their franchises, such as dealership upgrades.

Nor would those amounts compensate for the distressed price another Ford dealer likely would pay for their franchises, dealers say.

'Chicken feed'

"It's chicken feed," says a Lincoln-Mercury dealer who asked not to be named. "Ford doesn't appear serious."

As Ford told of big cuts on Friday, Sept. 15, in jobs and operating costs, Cisco Codina, the company's group vice president of North American marketing, sales and service, briefed dealers about the consolidation plan during a teleconference.

But Codina did not speak of a formal dealer aid package, nor did he offer new details of the company's plan to "right-size" its dealership network. Codina could not be reached for comment later Friday.

"I know this is a sensitive issue," Codina told dealers during the broadcast. "And it's primarily a metro dealer issue, not so much single-point and smaller points."

Ford has prepared a war chest to help promote dealership closures, an inside source says. The aid is likely to be tailored to the circumstances of each region and each proposed deal. In addition to cash incentives, Ford also seeks to speed up deals by providing money to buy back vehicle and parts inventories, sources say.

Voluntary effort

Codina told the dealers that Ford wants to pursue consolidation "on a voluntary basis."

"We understand what's at stake here, and I have no interest in having an adversarial relationship with any of you," he said.

The Ford national dealer council will meet the week of Oct. 2 in Dearborn, Mich. Council Chairman Tom Addis, dealer principal of Lake City Ford in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, says he expects Ford to disclose more details of the consolidation plan then.

The October meeting replaces an August meeting that Ford canceled abruptly after Automotive News first reported Ford's plan for dealership consolidations in 18 U.S. markets. The consolidation markets include New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Detroit, Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Despite the massive personnel cutbacks that Ford revealed Friday, Codina told dealers that "you can expect a very high level of service -- we will be available to you." Codina also insisted that Ford would "stay focused on our business."

But dealers counter that Ford's employees are too busy worrying about their jobs to concentrate on dealers' needs. Says a Ford dealer: "There's a lot of fear behind the cubicles."

Erin Robinson contributed to this report

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1056/AutoShows
Old 09-19-06, 08:36 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they should close them all...and sell the cars on Amazon.com.
Old 09-19-06, 09:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't like the smiles on those guys' faces.
Old 09-19-06, 04:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I don't like the smiles on those guys' faces.
lol, this made me laugh.They got a smile like they are thinking to themselves (no matter what, I'm RICH BIATCH!!!) lmao

I am sure some of those dealers can't wait to take that offer. With the only way to sell cars is to have 0% financing and rebates, why be in business?

Has anyone seen a dealership financial statement? They make all their money in the SERVICE department.

Old 09-19-06, 04:28 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I have two personal friends whose family have lost their Ford dealerships in the last five years in favor of larger corporate-owned conglomerates. Ford has been treating the smaller family-owned operations like garbage, i.e. sticking them with less-than-desirable units and then punishing them for not being able to move said units.

FoMoCo is methodically squeezing these folks out of the business. Sad.
Old 09-19-06, 06:41 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RandalR
Maybe they should close them all...and sell the cars on Amazon.com.
Nah, it would be to close to invoice on Amazon.

You'd get new Ford's for 40% off on eBay!

Hahaha
Old 09-20-06, 10:48 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sign of the times I guess. The nearest Ford dealership closed last month after being around for most of my lifetime (30+ years). Replaced by a Lexus dealership! Whoohoo!